Air rifle scopes

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Jim 1990

I have a gamo whisper pellet rifle that came with a scope but I want to upgrade the scope. I would like some suggestions on what others are using on there pellet guns that will hold zero from the recoil of a springer pellet rifle.

I have been looking at the leapers scopes and from the reviews, they are a good scope. I am planning on spending 80 t0 100 dollars .
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

I have used a Bushnell Banner Air Rifle scope for about 10 years, it has held up fine. I think that I paid about $75 for it, but it probably costs a bit over a $100 by now.

Be sure you purchase an air rifle scope. A scope for a hunting rifle is not built to withstand the recoil from an air rifle.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
Conrad Baker

Look at the Hawke brand scopes. They come with a lifetime warranty, and are priced right. Make sure you look at "air gun" scopes, because a
springer gun can wreck the internals of a regular scope. A regular rifle scope is designed to handle rearward recoil, whereas an airgun scope is designed to handle both forward (as in the case of a springer) and rearward recoil. The high end (and expensive) rifle scopes can handle this forward recoil, but most people don't care to spend that kind money for a scope for their air rifle, me included. I have Zeiss scopes on my hunting rifles, but have Hawke scopes on my RWS M34 (air rifle), and crossbow.
Vern1

I use a Leapers 6x Bug Buster scope on my PCP Starling Whacker.
I have a Leapers UTG 3-12x SWAT scope on my 458 SoCom and a 6x IR on my .223 Wylde.
They are decent scopes for the money and hold up well even under the punishing recoil of the 458.

I would not use those on a springer.
I've ruined a few really good scopes on spring powered air rifles before I switched over to PCP which has virtually no recoil.

Look on Pyramidair.com - they have reviews on their products, good customer service and decent prices.
Cheers,
Joe
2015 - 40 cavities - 37 pair - fledged 172
2016 - 40 cavities - 38 pair - fledged 192
Hosting Purple Martins since 1976...Managing since 2006.
Don Strickland

I had two of the springer guns. Hated both of them so gave them away. Bought a Benjamin Marauder 22. I can usually hit a sparrow at 50 yards, and that's pretty good for an old codger with the shakes....Marauder is pretty pricey but they are quiet and accurate and well worth every penny.
Don
Conrad Baker

Don Strickland wrote:I had two of the springer guns. Hated both of them so gave them away. Bought a Benjamin Marauder 22. I can usually hit a sparrow at 50 yards, and that's pretty good for an old codger with the shakes....Marauder is pretty pricey but they are quiet and accurate and well worth every penny.
Don
The Marauder is an excellent choice. Has plenty of power, is silent, and accurate enough to shoot a dime at 50 yards consistently. Unfortunately
price enters here. Jim1990 said he wanted to pay 80- 100 dollars.
Apparently his budget won't allow for a $500.00 rifle. He then has to have an air source, a hand pump ($200.00 for a good one) that will give him the ultimate workout, or a carbon fiber tank ($600.00) or even a scuba tank ($200.00), then he has to buy a scope. I doubt that you would want to put a $50.00 scope on a Marauder, so you are looking at another $150.00.
I agree that the Marauder is the cream of the crop, but it is certainly a step up in expense than where Jim1990 is right now.
Don Strickland

Yes Conrad. I was at the same place as Jim in the beginning. I wasted the price of a Marauder on springers and scopes, so counting the waste and finally getting a Marauder, mine was really expensive. I do understand being on a tight budget though, because I am on a tight one.
Don
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Don, I too bought 3 air rifles, and 2 scopes, none were very good. I would have been better off starting with a very good (but expensive) air rifle.
GeneP
Martin Colony History: 1 gourd rack with 24 gourd capacity. 2018, my 11th year hosting martins.
18 pair in 2017.

Agree with Don. Spent a small fortune before purchasing my Maurauder and hand pump. Have a 4 x 32 AO Leapers scope.

I too didn't think I had the money but I'm glad I pulled the trigger and bought it. (pun intended)
PMCA Member, Single Gourd Rack, 2019 marks 12 years hosting martins.
Mike E

Jim 1990 wrote:I have a gamo whisper pellet rifle that came with a scope but I want to upgrade the scope. I would like some suggestions on what others are using on there pellet guns that will hold zero from the recoil of a springer pellet rifle.

I have been looking at the leapers scopes and from the reviews, they are a good scope. I am planning on spending 80 t0 100 dollars .
I have a new Whisper that was driving me crazy sighting in. I finally took a close look at the base and the front mount was not even connected to the rifle. I connected up and it seems to be working fine now.. Just a thought.

Mike
Jim 1990

Thank everyone for there post I will probably go with the hawke or a banner scope .The gamo silent cat I have seems to be accurate but wanted a scope that I could change the magnification
AnnieM
Location: Spring Branch/Canyon Lake ~ Mystic Shores, Comal County, TX
Martin Colony History: 2012 - 4 pair
2013 - 11 pair
2014 - 12 pair
2015 - 14 pair
2016 - Arrival Feb 28 - 17 pair
2017 - Full house for first time. 24 gourds all occupied. :-)

Don, when you mention 50 yards, do you use a tripod? I watched some youtube videos where guys were sitting on the floor using a tripod to steady the air rifle. I will have to shoot from a distance. The HOSPs will be sitting on the perch and they take off when they see me step out the back door. I won't be able to get close at all, so wondering how y'all steady the rifles. Christmas is coming, and I'm doing research and digging up old threads from the forum archives to see what works. I need one more weapon in my arsenal for the ultra-evasive HOSP that I can't trap. Thanks for any suggestions!
PMCA Member
2012 - 4 pair
2013 - 11 pair
2014 - 12 pair
2015 - 14 pair
2016 - Arrival Feb 29/17 pair
2017 - Full house first time-24 gourds all occupied :)
Emil Pampell-Tx

Sparrow trapping is not easy in some cases. A very effective method of nestbox trapping is this:

Place a small wooden trap (the hole small enough so the martins cannot enter) about 1 to 2 feet below the other housing (hang it under the gourd rack or under the house) . Face the trap away from your home. This method works partly because the sparrows usually choose the lowest cavity, and they like to be near the martins for their safety. You may be surprised how well this works. It is so easy to catch the sparrows before the martins arrive. Also, it works best early before the martins arrive if you close the martin cavities on the lower levels.

If that doesn't work, then I use the pellet rifle with the scope.
AnnieM
Location: Spring Branch/Canyon Lake ~ Mystic Shores, Comal County, TX
Martin Colony History: 2012 - 4 pair
2013 - 11 pair
2014 - 12 pair
2015 - 14 pair
2016 - Arrival Feb 28 - 17 pair
2017 - Full house for first time. 24 gourds all occupied. :-)

Emil, thank you for that tip. We live out in the country and seldom saw any HOSPs until after we put up the gourds. Suddenly they appeared. I've had success trapping them if I let them build a nest...they are pretty easy to trap then. I even modified the opening of one of the gourds with a smaller entrance hole, but there was one male this summer that I could not capture. He was too smart for me. I will try trapping them as you have suggested. Thanks. :)
PMCA Member
2012 - 4 pair
2013 - 11 pair
2014 - 12 pair
2015 - 14 pair
2016 - Arrival Feb 29/17 pair
2017 - Full house first time-24 gourds all occupied :)
Don Strickland

Annie,
I use shooting bags front and back to steady my aim. The front bag has an elevation adjustment. I bought the bags at Midwayusa. I also have my shooting station set up on a table on the back porch. I spend a lot of time out there so the scum birds are not alarmed by seeing me. When shooting from the pickup, I use a shooting bag that rests on the driver side window and I roll the window up and down for elevation adjustment. My Marauder is quiet enough that sometimes when I miss the first shot, I get another try. I have three repeating traps that work very well.
Don
BumBee