new with some questions

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
elizabethg

Hi everyone,

You guys are so knowledgeable. I know there are different opinions but after doing some reading and rereading I am thinking the Excluder II gourds are going to work best for my area compared to the Troyer Conley II gourds. I live in south central Texas just southeast of Austin. Let me know if I am heading in the wrong direction with the choice of gourds.

I am wanting to purchase the starter kit which comes with everything I need to get started but doesn't look like the Excluder II gourds come with the porches so I would need to purchase them separately I think. I have read that the porches as long as they are flush with the entrance help the martins enter but help keep the starlings out. Is there one porch that works better than the others?

We have owls, hawks and crows so I will be purchasing the owl guards as well. Anything I am forgetting?

Thanks so much for being available with y'all's experiences and expertise. I appreciate it.

Elizabeth
bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.
In 2018, we fledged 629 martins at all of the sites.

Hi Elizabeth and welcome to the Forum.

Both the Excluder gourd and the Troyer gourd should come with porches.

Excluder II entrances are one of the most restrictive, but in most situations, the Conley II entrances will also keep out most starlings, unless you get a smaller starling. Most Starling Resistant Entrance Holes are located close to the porch, to exclude the longer legged starling.

One thing, when you order through the PMCA, it helps martin research and all other benefits as in the Forum, educational pamphlets and geo-locator and now GPS tracking devices.

Good luck with starting a Purple Martin colony! Hope this helps.

Bill
Ed Pace

Hi Elizabeth ,welcome to the forum I hope you're including tunnels with your porches they are a big help in keeping predators away and the Martin's like them.
Ed
klcretired

Hi Elizabeth and welcome to the Forum.
Please don't forget Predator Guards, if you need any help or advise I will be glad to help you, I have mentored Many Martin Land Lords , my email address is at the bottom of this message.
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com