Late July babies and eggs in Iowa.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

I just completed a nest check while being very careful to prevent early fledging. All went as expected until I looked into #42 gourd. This gourd had a simple nest indicating a young nesting pair. What was interesting is the sight of 3 babies 1 to 3 days old and an egg yet to hatch. I had over 200 baby martins this year and only 31 are remaining and awaiting their first flight. I find it curious that most have fledged, yet I now have 3 very young babies and an egg on July 26th here in Iowa.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

It is uncommon to see martins with two clutches, but it can occur with older pairs that have a very early first clutch and a late second clutch. As mentioned in my previous post, it looks like a young pair nest. Another unusual happening at my colony is I had a compartment with 8 eggs and all fledged successfully. It must be something in the water. lol.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Your doing a great job and making happy martins!!! :lol:
Sharon from southern Illinois
Annie G

I'm glad to hear things are going well for you Dave. I know I still have acouple sub adults coming and getting egg shells and flying off with them so I'm guessing they are still feeding young in the nest. (But not at my site)
Best wishes to you and your babies! Annie
Keep trying and keep your chin up, its easier to see the martins coming!!
jr 2
Location: ohio,proctorville(just across ohio river from huntington,west virginia)

I still have 2 asy pair and 1 sy pair too fledge;;they are feeding from the outside;;;the 2 asy pair I believe are renest because of the cold to start the season;;jr2
PMCA member; s 2011 2 pair fledged 3; 2012 3 asy pair,4 sy pair,2013 8 asy pair,6 sy pair;2014 19 asy pair,2 sy pair
Dave Duit

Thanks everyone for your input. I guess the martins will do these strange things regardless of how we tend to think we now them so well.
JamesinIA

I was able to do a nest check at the golf course colony that I have been monitoring this year and found the last nest with young ready to fledge and another nest of four eggs that should hatch this Thursday. I did see the female leave the nest but couldn't tell if she was SY or ASY. They could fledge on August 26th at the earliest.
2009 One ASY pair 5 eggs 5 fledged 2010 2 pair 5 fledged 2011 8 pair 27 fledged 2012 14 pair 38 fledged
2013 20 pair 64 fledged 2014 19 pair fledged 84 2015 26 pair fledged 124 2016 36 pair fledged 156 2017 40 pair fledged 156
PMCA member
Dave Duit

James,
It gives me a warm feeling that another Iowa member is going through the same thing. I guess it is comfort in numbers. I'm sure our baby martins will fledge successfully.
Larry Kronemeyer

We have 1 pair sy's that made a late start and their fledge start date at the earliest possible on Aug. 2nd. You are not alone. They have been visited regularly by the elders and the roost and migration pull is strong. They are feeding but not as continuous as they would if more were around. We thought we were going to have to feed as both parents seemed to leave but seems hot days and the female's window strike slowed them down. They are feeding normal now and the elders came by and checked and left. Good luck on your late ones!
Larry and Judy Kronemeyer
est. 1999
1-12 compartment Trendsetter and 4 gourds(crescents)
1 T-14 and 4 gourds (crescents)
12 gourd rack (crescents)
Member PMCA
Dave Duit

Larry, after reading your post in addition to the other responses, I get the feeling that these late fledglings may not be as few as I originally assumed.
Bob

Dave, I am about 100 miles south of Chicago and I still have 2 nests that have not fledged yet. If my calculations are correct, they should both fledge in about 2 days. This will be the latest fledge date for my site. I also have about 10 other martins still hanging around. I think they are fledges from a couple of my other housing and they must be waiting around for these 2 nests.
terriergal

I have three that are just getting around to fledging, lost 2 nests early in the season for mysterious reasons. 4 and 5 babies in each, with pinfeathers. Maybe something happened to the parents? But these last three babies are in with a young pair. The male is not in his full adult plumage yet and he's super protective whenever we are outside. (it's pretty comical). I noticed a young one sitting on the perch on the house begging today and could hear some others begging as the parents approached the house. I don't want to check the nest, because the male gets so annoyed, and they are so close to fledging.
Paula in MN
Dave Duit

I had a little prayer for everyone on this thread that all our youngsters fledge successfully.