There is life after all!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
phldave
Martin Colony History: Started trying in 2012 and still trying

After not seeing a sign of a martin for over 2 weeks, I sited several tonight just after 8pm. I wonder if they have been busy raising young? They still didn't seem very playful. Kind of acted like they were all business. They soared just long enough, like to catch something, and they flew down and disappeared, or they acted like they were in a hurry to get somewhere.
2012 late start
2013 nothing yet, lots a lookers
2014 Bust again
2015 Bust again
2016 Bust again
2017 Bust again
2018 April 14 a group joined me, but moved on after a week
2019 Had SY male seriously check me out but didn't stay
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Yeah I had several at my site yesterday. Fred was here twice. Just checking up on things. Sure hope he comes back next yr. he is still by himself so I do not think he has babies anywhere. the females come to my site by themselves now.No male with them. There was a pr. Here tue. Oh I am grateful they come so I get to watch something :)
Sharon from southern Illinois
MamaBruff
Martin Colony History: 2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
Rehomed all my PM stuff. Good Luck and Best Wishes to All.

That's encouraging there are PMs in your area! Even if they don't stay, they certainly know where your site is! There's still time this year, however, or so we are told!

I am getting roaming bachelors visiting pretty regularly. Romeo and 2 SYMs as a group, and 1 single SYM. I think they are just making the rounds, checking out all housing in the area. Hopefully my place is a contender for next year... In the meantime, I'm "keeping the light on" for a while longer....

I heard from my friend down the road with the S&K barn. He has 1 nest with eggs, and 3 other empty nests. Last year, he had 2 week old nestlings at this time. Things are really late here. S0, maybe the light should stay on thru the 4th, just for good measure, ha. Who am I kidding?! :roll:

I think it's time for me to buy a lottery ticket and go fishing. The odds of success would be better, I think! :lol:
~Mary B~

Lifelong PM Admirer and Nature Enthusiast.
Ruthless trapper of S&S year round.
2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Mary, do you play any cd's and do you think they help getting a colony started! :)
MamaBruff
Martin Colony History: 2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.

Sharon,

I don't play any purple martin CDs, because in my case, the martins already know my site is here, as there is an established 16 gourd colony about a mile away. There was a plastic Lowe's house on our property when we moved here in January 2013; we replaced the whole setup with the current Trendsetter and gourds. I had 2 nesting pair and several bachelors as of end of May 2013.

This year, Romeo came and I thought "game on"- but the purple wave never happened, and he eventually went to be with his peeps at another established colony. He was the best martin attractor I had, and I doubt that the CD would have made a difference in my case.

The young man with the S&K barn doesn't play CDs either, and he has had more pairs than I have both years we have been at this.

So I guess the answer in my case is, "It depends"... :roll:
~Mary B~

taxidermy lady

Ok Mary thanks! I know the martins close knows where my site is too! I think I am going to not play it next spring and just see what happens. I know everyone has different opinions. I have played it two yrs. in a roll and no nesting occurred so I'm going to change it up. No Dawnsong next spring. Thank you!

I did get some visitors today playing the chatter! :)
avesrun
Martin Colony History: Home Site: 2017- 0
2016 - 1st pair, fledged 5
Satellite Site: 2017 (3rd season)
34 pair
Fledged- 102

I'm sort of with you Mary and Sharon on the dawn song/chatter. I won't be playing it for the scout arrival period; however, during the sy arrival period I'll play dawn song very early in a.m. for a couple hours or so to maybe catch attention of sy martins that may be have been hatched from further sites. But overall I will be backing off as I know a lot of martins know where I'm at. My biggest change is going to be experimenting with a small number of round holes that can be switched quickly. I have the ability to shoot along with the trapping of avian exotics. I'm still not looking forward to dealing more with starlings, but there's a chance the pressure won't be as bad I'm expecting.
(Yeah right, you're thinking) :lol:
Tim
PMCA Member
Home Site: 2012-15 visitors
2017-18 Zero
2019- 3 Successful Prs.!
Satellite Site: 2014 - visitors
2015 - 2 pair, fledged 9
2016 - 13 pair, fledged 44
2017 - 31 pair, fledged 118
2018 - 44 pair, 163 fledged
2019- 49 or. 219 fledged
taxidermy lady

That sounds good Tim! It hasn't helped me and we have plenty of martins in our area, they say????? It just was not a good year for us wanna be's to try to start a colony. I have not seen an SY male land on my house. MAYBE I seen one flying with another SY female. Hard to tell when they are moving. Fred brought in SY females but the "MARTIN HOG" came and took them. I hope the plan works. I will have a few round next yr. to with a loaded shotgun. I have cut that large soft maple on the north side of my house. It was about 65 ft from the gourd rack. Now no trees at all close to site. I am sure Fred already has noticed that. He still comes around. Bless him!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

When you play cd's and nothing happens, it makes you wonder how well it works? :???:
avesrun
34 pair
Fledged- 102

In response to Mary's post above regarding "roaming bachelors", I'm in the same boat. I've had visiting martins the last three days (some could be bachelorettes). Today one landed on the t-14 and actually hung out for maybe a minute taking in the landscape. On another occasion it came diving in and swiped away a cowbird that was perched on the trio mini castle. I too am hoping these birds are checking things out for next season. It's going to be very tough waiting for next season..... :cry:
PMCA Member
2017-18 Zero
2019- 3 Successful Prs.!
2015 - 2 pair, fledged 9
2019- 49 or. 219 fledged
taxidermy lady

Oh yeah a long winter. I am glad that is my busy season so it always goes by quick!, we will keep one another company too!! Hang in there our time will come and like Chickadee said to me in May this is the best part of land lording is waiting to be one. She should know she has a whole lot to take care of now. After you get martins the anticipation is past and all the hard work starts. So we should sit back and enjoy!!! :)
avesrun
34 pair
Fledged- 102

Thanks Sharon for that refreshing perspective. I recall reading that post from chickadee. It does go straight to the heart. The thing about not getting martins right away is that when it DOES happen we'll have no excuses for not being ready ie. Predator guards in place, sufficient venting, personal protection measures etc. Here's to 2015 (insert smilies toasting scotch and waters here; or your beverage of choice )!
Tim
PMCA Member
2017-18 Zero
2019- 3 Successful Prs.!
2015 - 2 pair, fledged 9
2019- 49 or. 219 fledged
taxidermy lady

I make my own wine from my blackberries and raspberries. I have been doing that for 17 yrs. (It's pretty darn good)!

I do have venting to do on my gourds this winter!

I only have one predator guard, but I think I will make a second. Should have plenty cavities :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MamaBruff

Cheers and hugs to both of you, and all who had empty houses this year. We have to stay positive; too much work and $$ invested to give up! I am thinking that the Landlords in our home areas who are hosting purple martins will have excellent fledge rates, and 2015 will be a good year for us all. "After all, tomorrow is another day..."
~Mary B~

taxidermy lady

Thumbs up Mary! We have what it takes. They will come! :)

So glad I joined the forum to chat with great people :grin:
avesrun
34 pair
Fledged- 102

I use 8" pvc that is 4ft. long and have made removeable predator guards with enclosed tops so snakes can't crawl up through the tube. I didn't have them on this season as felt that since I was raising and lowering housing darn near daily for welfare checks; figured first time I have martins going in/out of entrances will employ guards.

I too am optimistic about a good martin hatch for next year's crop of young birds looking for new housing. I have also found two additional sites that have active martin housing near me that I previously didn't know about. They all have round holes and do not do hosp/starling control, and have no winches; this is good and bad for me.

As I've said before, I am SO tempted to go one season using/ employing ALL round holes while trapping and shooting starlings/hosp diligently just to get a colony started and switch to sreh as soon as nest/eggs are laid and accept a few martin losses in the process thinking in the long run I'd have all sreh once established; however, I KNOW THIS IS FLAWED THINKING! Instead, I will try to work with a select few round holes as Matt has suggested. Starlings are pretty thick in my area :evil:

I continue to tell myself that many a landlord had to be patient and wait a few years or more to get started; and that patience is key in this hobby. Dave Duit, a landlord member on this forum who has a nice colony about 45 min. north of me waited 5 years for his first pair (and he's located on a nice sized lake) and his mentor waited 7 years, and we've all heard of landlords who waited 3-5 years or more. It's the nature of the hobby. As Sharon stated: "They will come".
I am ever so greatful for this forum too; I have 3 Trios in darn good shape that are my project for the off-season to get them modified and ready. I wouldn't know where to start without the Trio jedi masters clueing me in.

Tim
PMCA Member
2017-18 Zero
2019- 3 Successful Prs.!
2015 - 2 pair, fledged 9
2019- 49 or. 219 fledged
DakotaLady

Hang in there you guys/gals. I know what it is like trying to get martins. I tried since 1995 and just recently got birds. You will all be successful one day as well!

I think of you all often and am really pulling for you. The pleasure of having these wonderful birds inhabit your housing will be well worth the wait. Hearing of the bird visits you are having is very encouraging and hopefully next year will be YOUR year.

Good luck...keep up the fight.
~Tangula~

2013 - 16 pair, 79 eggs, 71 fledged
2012 - 4 pair, 18 eggs, 18 fledged
phldave
Martin Colony History: Started trying in 2012 and still trying

Been a disappointing season for me. Haven't had any real excitment since the end of April, when I had and ASY pair of migrants spend the night in a gourd. I did get a fair photo of him, which is now my desktop background on my PC. There were martins in the area but never came close so far this year.

I am all ready whenever the day comes, all I haven't done is make a predator guard for the pole. I am not going to worry about that until I have nesters, I am resourceful enough that I can make one pretty quick. I have nest trays in all my house compartments, and all gourds and compartments are vented. Owl guards are ready to put on the house whenever I have chicks.

After 3 springs I can say I am a pro at trapping, I am coming up on 100 HOSP and about half that many starlings that can attest to that.

Until the day comes, I still have my garden to bide my time. I turn 60 in January. Maybe 2015 will be my year. Retirement keeps getting closer. I know there is the old saying, "Be careful what you wish for" but I have come too far now to quit.

Dave
2012 late start
2013 nothing yet, lots a lookers
2014 Bust again
2015 Bust again
2016 Bust again
2017 Bust again
2018 April 14 a group joined me, but moved on after a week
2019 Had SY male seriously check me out but didn't stay