Use of Sevin

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
MaryanneKaht IL

What are opinions of landlords about the use of Sevin? We had a mite problem last year that we would like to be on top of this season.
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

I have used it (very sparsely) for about 30 years, I have never seen a problem with it, and the babies are so happy to get rid of the mites.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
dhjohnson
Martin Colony History: 5th year hostess. Currently 58 confirmed breeding pair. 218 Fledged, 35 older nestlings, 2 new nests with 8 nestlings. 100% occupancy

Emil is abolutely right! The benefits outweigh the risks!
Good Luck in 2014!
Debbie
Debbie Johnson
Clayton/NC (Archer Lodge)
2012 New Site 6 pair, 21 Fledged
2013 24 pair, 102 eggs, 94 hatched, 89 Fledged. What a great year!
2014 37 pair, 211 eggs, 193 Hatched, 178 Fledged, 1 nest of 5 young left! Late start but picked up speed quickly!
Bulldog1

For what it is worth, I use it.
PMCA member
2015 - 18 Gourds offered - 12 active nests, 62 eggs, 51 fledged
2014 - 18 gourds offered - 12 active nests, 52 eggs, 48 fledged
2013 - 12 gourds offered - 9 pairs, 56 eggs, 52 hatched, 49 fledged
2012 - 12 gourds offered -4 pairs, 20 eggs, 19 fledged
2011 - 6 gourds offered -1 pair, 5 eggs, 5 hatched, 5 fledged !!!!
mikeinkaty

I use Diatomaceous Earth. Have used it for 10 years. It is totally non-toxic to beast or fowl. But it kills lice and mites or anything with an exoskeleton.

I mix up a slurry and smear it on the walls inside the cavities. It will erode off the walls slowly during the season.

In 2003 I noticed all the babies coming out way early. On examination they were totally covered with lice or mites and the walls of the cavities were black with them. I lost almost the entire hatch that year. I tried putting them back in the nests to no avail. I almost quit that year.

The next year I started using Diatomaceous earth and the fledge rate has been almost 100% each year since. And, it has no effect on the eyes of the birds. I checked that very close. At the end of the season the cavities have always been free of lice or mites.

Oh, it will also kill internal parasites in the birds. Do some Googling on Diatomaceous Earth if you don't believe me. Many people mix it in with the feed for farm animals and chickens for internal parasite control.

Get 100% pure Diatomaceous Earth at any pool supply company. I got a 25lb bag at first and it is still half full.

Mike
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

I'm a Sevin user. I'm thankful for it. No creepy crawlies on my birds.
Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
klcretired

I have been using sevin over 30 years , a teaspoon under the front of each nesting cavity Never any Mites or Problems...Never!!!
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
Craig Dyer
Martin Colony History: Area is rural. Offer 28 compartments...metal housing (Lonestar Goliad) & Supergourds all w/crescent entrance holes. Purple martins are abundant here and eager for quality, well maintained, safe housing. Expect near 100% occupancy this season.

Hi Maryanne,
There is an interesting debate regarding the use of Sevin in the Forum archives under Management "The Sevin Debate".
Based on my own personal experience Sevin does a terrific job of keeping mites under control. I have witnessed explosive mite infestation in my martin colony and it is a horrific site to behold. I have found Sevin to be the best tool available in dealing with this problem (my opinion). I place an 1/8th of a teaspoon under the nest trays early in the season, and usually have to repeat the application again a month or two later. During damp rainy periods Sevin appears to biodegrade more quickly and more applications may be required.
The best of luck to you this season.
Craig Dyer