Confused

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
DottieL

To register Martin observations/scouts at my location, my martin house MUST have occupied and had breeding pairs the previous year. Is that correct? Since my Martin house has been empty for about 4 years, I should not report anything this year, even if I am successful in attracting them?
Dorothy ......in the "Land of the Yellow Brick Road" click click !!
Glynn B - LA

Not true. If you see a martin in your area, you should report.

Glynn
2019 26 pair 116 fledged
2018 20 pair 76 fledged
2017 19 pair 82 fledged
2016 13 pair 48 fledged
2015 3 pair 13 fledged
2014 1 pair 4 fledged
2013 2 pair 6 fledged
2012 0 pair
2011 0 pair

I don’t have the perfect site. One open flyway with trees within 80 ft. I do have a small pond they utilize during the heat of Summer. (2017) HEAVY HAWK PREDATION
Connie
Martin Colony History: Had my site up to 22 gourds of which most (+/-3) stayed occupied.
Downsized to 17 gourds due to back surgeries. Had 14 families in 2017 but did not do nest checks due to health. Feeling better in 2018 and hoping for a good year.

Yes Dorothy. He/she doesn't even have to land if you are sure what you are seeing. Purple Martin = report. :)
Connie
DottieL

Great!! I will report anything I see as long as I KNOW it is truly a main.

The last paragraph in the reporting guidelines is misleading to me. I'll reread it too, to see how I misread the instructions. :???:
DottieL

Main=martin... :oops:
scottfreidhof

The directions in the last paragraph of the scout report page clearly state that "scout" (ASY) reports should be recorded from sites that were active last year. If your site was not active last year, then your report is restricted to just the SY male that shows up to establish your colony.
DottieL

Alrighty then.... No ASY reports at all if my house has not yet been successful in attracting martins this far, whether they stay or not.
I should only report the SY martins observed here, whether they stay or not.

I am aware that ASY generally will not take up residence at a new location.
MamaBruff
Martin Colony History: 2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
Rehomed all my PM stuff. Good Luck and Best Wishes to All.

Dottie,
My founding male was an ASY. He had an ASY buddy who also mated and nested, but his female went missing... So YES you can have ASYs colonize your site. My ASYs had to wait for the SY females to arrive.
~Mary B~

Lifelong PM Admirer and Nature Enthusiast.
Ruthless trapper of S&S year round.
2013-2016 Unsuccessful at starting a PM colony. Health problems.
Rehomed all my PM stuff. Good Luck and Best Wishes to All.
scottfreidhof

An ASY male started my home colony as well. But since he was not returning to a site where he nested the year before, he did not meet the definition of a returning scout. At least I think that is the reason for the distinction in the directions.
DottieL

So , Scott and Mary.... I guess you did not report your founding birds as returning scouts because they were ASY's at a new site? Seems strange they wouldn't be counted, but, oh well, I'll follow instructions. If I get ASY's as founding birds, I'll not register them as returning scouts.
But your luck gives me something to hope for. I'd love to have either one take up residence here!
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Dorothy,
Welcome to the forum! Good luck this year, please post your progress!

From a fellow Kansan,
Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
Tim Mangan-Kansas
Martin Colony History: 2016 - 22 Pair

Dottie:

I guess I am confused as well about reporting scout reports. I never read the instructions regarding reporting scouts. It was always my understaning if you had a scout at your location, you reported it via the scout report.

This is our first year at a new location and I had a ASY female land on my housing on March 11 and spent a lot of time checking out the cavities. I reported it on the scout report. What is the difference of a martin landing on your housing at a new location versus one landing on your housing at an existing colony. I thought the purpose of the scout report was to document martins at your site, whether it be new or established. I am confused.

Tim
Licensed Bander
2015 - 14 Pair - fledged 68
2014 - Moved to Kansas - 7 Pair, 35 eggs, 28 fledged in first year
2010 Thru 2013 - Moved-Tried to start new colony
2009 - 46 pair, 217 eggs, 178 fledged
DottieL

Tim, I don't know the reasoning, but when you go to the "scout report form", the very bottom paragraph is where I read those instructions.
Here's my interpretation. On a new site, they rules are not to report ANYTHING until the SY's come and STAY at the new site.
At an existing site that had breeding pairs the previous year, report ASY or SY.

It is confusing, because earlier in the instructions, it gave guidelines as to how to report birds(I believe only ASY) even though they were not at your site... Just flying overhead, or at someone else's address, etc.
Still a mite confusing.
DottieL

I messed up. If a site was active last year, report only the ASY birds, not the SY.
Tim Mangan-Kansas
Martin Colony History: 2016 - 22 Pair

I did take some time to read through all the instructions. It is confusing. On the Scout Arrival Report under "Landlord Status", one of the options is, "Trying". If you only report scouts at an established site, why is this option listed?

It is probably time for this topic to be addressed and possibly re-written by the PMCA staff. Possibly Louise will address this topic.

Tim
Licensed Bander
2015 - 14 Pair - fledged 68
2014 - Moved to Kansas - 7 Pair, 35 eggs, 28 fledged in first year
2010 Thru 2013 - Moved-Tried to start new colony
2009 - 46 pair, 217 eggs, 178 fledged
DottieL

I agree..