Shelbyville, Indiana ASY Martin Arrival

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
JJ Jones
Martin Colony History: Average (100) pairs per season

ASY Male arrived as I just pulled up to the garage. I thought I was hearing things. Then I looked up and there he was. This is the earliest that I have ever seen them come. And the beat goes on !

PMCA Member - East McKay Road Colony
Shelbyville, Indiana
jeffwilliams72

Wow JJ, that does seem early! I was working outside near my racks all day yesterday, I was listening & watching all day, no PM's yet.
My 1st Tree Swallow did show up, usually the scouts here are about 1 week behind the 1st Tree Swallow.
Have your TRES returned?
2008/1st pair/ 4 fledged
2009-2010 visitors only
2011/2 pr/9 eggs/8 fledged
2012/9pr/33 fledged
2013/27pr/101 fledged
JJ Jones

Jeff,

Sorry not getting back to you sooner. Anyway, my Tree Swallows have not arrived as of today. Normally, they are always here about one week ahead of the PMs. But you know how this year is. I still can't believe he is hear. Also, a friend of mine in Morristown, IN (Krista Wicker) has one too. I was going to visit her colony today, however didn't have the time to do so. I really do like my Tree Swallow line. They give the PMs some vocal support when hawks are in the area. Last season, I had the most PMs ever....72 pairs which generated around 320+ fledglings. What a year in review. Trapped probably 40 to 50 sparrows; maybe a few starlings. The Blaine repeating trap works great! Well, good luck with your colony. Keep the faith, they will be around yours real soon.

JJ
East McKay Road Colony
Shelbyville, IN

Shelbyville, Indiana
Seth

JJ Jones wrote:ASY Male arrived as I just pulled up to the garage. I thought I was hearing things. Then I looked up and there he was. This is the earliest that I have ever seen them come. And the beat goes on !
A neighbor and I began thinking about getting our housing systems up when we saw your early scout report. Thanks for the alert!
JJ Jones

It's a good idea to get them up. They are working there way up toward central Indiana every day. Good Luck with your colony.

JJ

Shelbyville, Indiana
Seth

When do martins normally arrive at your colony? I haven't paid that close of attention to your past scout reports.