Better way to clean nests out of gourds.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Thurman Seber~TN

At least it was better than the way I had done it before. I used Laura's spaghetti dipper, or whatever you call those things about the size of a large tablespoon with things on the end that look like rake teeth. it is really good about hooking that stuff and dragging it right out of the gourd through the cleanout ports. Now you can call ol' Thurman ready for birds to show up. Here are a few helpful hints before you start the job. Don't tell your wife what you intend to do with it if she catches you slipping it out of the kitchen. Then, be sure to run a little water over it before you put it back.. And.. Don't be the first to dip your spaghetti out the next time you have it . Just teasing.. I got her permission beforehand be it ever so feeble permission. She will scald it off good and the martins will never know next year what we use it for... grin.
Thurman Seber, Alexandria, Tennessee
Peggy Riley

Oh Thurman how funny! It sure is a good idea.
PMCA Member
2017 101 pair
jeffwilliams72

Great idea!!! And HILARIOUS!!!
2008/1st pair/ 4 fledged
2009-2010 visitors only
2011/2 pr/9 eggs/8 fledged
2012/9pr/33 fledged
2013/27pr/101 fledged
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

I will think of you everytime I make spaghetti! I can picture 'Ol Thurman trolling through kitchen drawers!

Heads up to what you'll be getting for your next birthday or Christmas. Whichever comes first.

LOL

Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
Ladybug
Martin Colony History: 2005-2019. Lots lookers, 2 successful nesting's.
2010- 1 pair nested,eggs destroyed(Wren).
2012- 1 pair nested, 4 eggs, 4 fledged
2019- 1 pair nested, 4 eggs, 4 fledged.

Thurman:
THAT IS A HOOT. I TOLD MY HUSBAND. WE GOT A GOOD LAUGH FROM THAT. There may be some wives who would be very upset.
You never know. Good Luck with your Gourds.

PMCA Member.
Joanne
Thurman Seber~TN

Thanks folks. You encourage me more than you can know. I write a weekly article for a local newspaper, and I write it weakly as well.. grin. It is an article called Needmore Days and it is My feeble attempts at Christian humor. I am a Baptist Evangelist and also do some public speaking using humor. I have written a couple of books, with my last one just now back from the printers. So, these kind of stories are another part of my life aside from martins. I often read the posts of others here and wonder what their life is like aside from their purple martins.. But the spaghetti dipper really does work well to remove old nests. grin
Thurman Seber, Alexandria, Tennessee