Weather In Missouri

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
ljd-kc
Martin Colony History: Started my Colony in 2008 with 32 gourds and one ASY pair. As of 2017 I had 106 cavities with 106 pair.

The weather in my neck of the woods in Missouri has been miserable for my Martins. I came home from work after two days of cloudy and 45 degree weather to several martins on the driveway where they normally find crickets when the weather is bad. I thawed out a box if 1,000 crickets and flipped about 20 of them to get the ones holed up in their cavity out and about. I then spread the rest of the 1,000 crickets on the drive and in their platform feeder. 2 hours later there was only out 150 crickets left in the drive. The weather tomorrow is supposed to be 60 but rain all day. The rest of the week is supposed to be in the 40's, windy and cloudy. Ordering another 5,000 crickets tomorrow, but even with supplemental feeding I might lose A few. Lost one so far this year to what i believe was prolonged bad weather. I hope everyone is watching their colonies closely, Missouri is getting some much needed rain but the temps are below normal for this time of year.

Jack
CraigMo.
Martin Colony History: Active since 2003

Jack
I have lost one so far also. My martins were waiting for me today to feed too. Spring time just keeps teasing us :( I am almost out of crickets but I just feed them eggs now. If we have a long cold stretch again then I will bring out the crickets
Craig
ljd-kc
Martin Colony History: Started my Colony in 2008 with 32 gourds and one ASY pair. As of 2017 I had 106 cavities with 106 pair.

Craig,

I'm glad to hear that you are feeding your martins successfully. I haven't tried eggs yet but I really need to take that next step. I worry about if they all will accept them, like they do crickets. I've seen some martins take a cricket off of the drive and drop it in the air like they would a dragon fly and then catch it again and again, as if to make sure it is dead, only to finally drop it and land back on their perch. These are the ones that I think may not make it.

Jack
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

please check out an above thread I entered regarding cat food supplemental feeding
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Ed Pace

Thats great Jack that your birds are eating so well, maybe thoes slow guys will catch on in time.Good luck.
Ed
Art J

Hey Jack I live in North KC and am really worried about my colony. I have tried flipping some crickets but can not get any to accept them. I have not lost any yet this year but not sure they will make it until saturday when its suppose to get warmer. Was thinking about putting a board across my birdbath and putting it near there gourds and placing the crickets on that to see if they will take them from there. If you have any other ideas please let me know, they do not look real good at all.
Thanks Art.
Art J

Hey Jack I live in North KC and am really worried about my colony. I have tried flipping some crickets but can not get any to accept them. I have not lost any yet this year but not sure they will make it until saturday when its suppose to get warmer. Was thinking about putting a board across my birdbath and putting it near there gourds and placing the crickets on that to see if they will take them from there. If you have any other ideas please let me know, they do not look real good at all.
Thanks Art.
Dennis D

Art J wrote:Hey Jack I live in North KC and am really worried about my colony. I have tried flipping some crickets but can not get any to accept them. I have not lost any yet this year but not sure they will make it until saturday when its suppose to get warmer. Was thinking about putting a board across my birdbath and putting it near there gourds and placing the crickets on that to see if they will take them from there. If you have any other ideas please let me know, they do not look real good at all.
Thanks Art.
Art put the crickets right in the gourds
Dennis D
ljd-kc

Ed,
Thanks, it has been a challenge trying to train them over the last few years, but it has been paying off.

Art,
Dennis's advice for porch or tunneling feeding is a good idea and has worked well for me in the past. Elevated platform feeding I do here as well and it seems to work great once they recognize the crickets as food. If you have enough crickets I would continue to flip the crickets as high as possible and as long as possible, it took quite a while until my first one went after a flipped cricket. But once that happens most should follow suit. If your martins like to set on your roof like mine do sometimes, you may be able to flip some up there. Good Luck and hang in there!

Jack
cchild03

My birds are looking miserable, too. I don't think they left the housing at all yesterday. Some sat huddled on the porches, but most seemed to stay in their compartments.

I'm hoping they have a chance to feed between the rain chances today. The temperatures will be good if we can just get some breaks in the rain. We're dry right now, but I see lots of activity on the radar. It looks scattered and not like something that's going to last all day--unless the storms just keep developing and "filling in." I heard that the heavy stuff will hold off until evening.

Tomorrow looks awful, but Friday may get to 50. So if they can get some nourishment today to hold them over through tomorrow I'll feel better.

I've tried flipping and have had no luck yet. Depending on what it does today and whether I see them out feeding later, I'm going to try scrambled eggs on the porches and in the tunnels.

This has been some "spring" so far. I'm so thankful for the rain, but these temperatures are awful. It's hard to believe that we're close to May and the trees on our property aren't even close to having any leaves. If it wasn't for the green grass, it'd look like the dead of winter out there!
Candace
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Ditto, Candace. That is a perfect description of the wintery look still with us. I too am so thankful for any moisture I just wish it wasn't so cold. The next two nights are to be in the mid-20's. More crickets just were delivered and they are on their trip to the artic right now. Talk about cold.
Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
cchild03

So much for it getting to 60 degrees today. I think our high is going to top out at 50, and it's been raining and misty most of the day. I was hoping they'd get a couple of hours to feed before it gets really nasty tomorrow. I looked out the window during a break in the rain and saw a pair circling the house and then landing and huddling on the porch. I don't know if they were returning from feeding or just circling the housing. I think everyone else is inside trying to stay warm and dry. The last day we had good temperatures for feeding was Sunday, but the winds were ridiculous that day.
Candace
Craig Haddox

Here in Washington Missouri I have been feeding cricket's to around 50 martins. I flip a few crickets to see if they are interested then I put the rest in the platform feeder to let them get their fill. So far so good. More new arrivals today. No youngsters yet.
ljd-kc

Candace & Deb,

Looks like our weather has been very similar. Rain most of the day here today. Looks like Saturday may be our first good day. There were several extras today, I'm guessing from nearby colonies. I fed 1500 this morning before I went to work and they were all gone, when I got home. I was greeted with several on the drive, shop roof and the racks were full. I flipped a few and put out another 1500 on the drive. I'm down to 2,000 crickets left, I hope this weather breaks sooner rather than later. Good luck to all during this miserable stretch of weather.
ljd-kc

Craig,
I pretty much feed my colony in the same manner as you. I have a platform feeder I use as well, but I feel it just isn't large enough to feed the numbers I have, but sometimes I worry to much. So after filling the platform feeder I spread the rest in a 30' row On my shop drive. Both methods seem to work well for me. God luck to you and your colony this year.

Jack
CraigMo.
Martin Colony History: Active since 2003

My martins greeted me tonight again.Cooked eggs laid on railing from this morning were gone. Feeding is going on right now. I just noticed a martin on the ground so I got my box ready with a towel to keep him warm. I went out to pick him up which he could barely move, within 5 minutes he was dead. I believe he had no energy to live on and me picking him up might of helped him go because of a stressful moment. I had just told my wife there is a good chance more might die and then I saw this one on the ground. I imagine more are gonna die by Saturday. You would think at temps close to 50 they would be okay. But I would not of thought they would of been hungry yet and they were hungry yesterday. Good luck to you all with your birds
Craig
cchild03

Excuse The Text Formatting. My Phone Doesn't Play Nice With The Forum For Some Reason.

Craig, I'm Sorry To Hear That You Lost A Bird. I'm So Worried About Mine. I Tried Flipping Again Tonight But Didn't Have Any Luck. All I Managed To Do Was Scare Them Off The Porches And Make Them Use Energy. They All Look Really Rough. When They Flew, I Did Notice That They Seemed To Be Feeding. They Kept Pouring Out Of The Houses And Flying Very Low Over The Pastures, Like Barn Swallows. They Were Out For 45 Minutes To An Hour Before It Got Dark And Started Raining Again. I Don't Know If They Can Find Anything Tomorrow If The High Is Only 44. Friday Is Supposed To Be Sunny And 55.
Candace
cchild03

As I look out the window this morning, I feel sick knowing that many of my birds might not make it through the day--if they even made it through the night. It's raining and cold, with temperatures expected to drop into the 30s throughout the day and strong winds.

I haven't had any luck with my supplemental feeding efforts. They look at the food as it flips by them and eventually fly out of irritation/fear. I put food on the porches, and they didn't touch that either.

With the brutal conditions today, I don't know if I should even attempt to flush them out by flipping and lowering the systems or if I should just let them stay holed up. At this point, I don't know what good my supplemental feeding could even do. It's probably too late.

I've been hosting birds for many years now, and we've never had such awful weather for such a prolonged period of time. I'm so stressed. :cry:
Candace
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Candace, try putting the crickets on their porches - right at the entrances, so they have to crawl through them to get inside.

Try to pick the warmest time of the day and the least windy. Position yourself so that you can flip the crickets up high and in front of your martins. Do not flip the crickets directly *at* the birds as that will cause them to fly away from you. I only flipped one cricket at a time as this was their first introduction to crickets and I didn’t want to waste any until I saw the first one take one.
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Candace I am so sorry. I posted already on the other thread about how well mine look with feeding. Then I read yours above here. Yesterday was my first day to have more than my core four catch flipped crickets. Today they all went nuts. Today I was flipping a three-for and they would catch all three. Kathy is right. I still load my porches in case one didn't catch as many as they need. I plan to go out again in a few hours and see if they want more.

When I first tried flipping I noticed a male's eyes following the crickets flying high. Then he leaped up and got one. It took about ten more and then he caught a second. Soon the rest (at that time three more) started. Those guys knowing what I was doing has really helped the others that came a week later. I know it can be frustrating. And you feel as if you waste crickets. But just keep trying it. I would say, "Ready?" and wait a couple of beats and flip. That seemed to give them a heads up one was coming. It increased their catches. Now I don't need to do that they are watching.

Maybe for costs and cricket supply sake practice flipping scrambled eggs. Just to keep training them to notice it flying by. I pray yours will catch on. It is such a wonderful experience and helps your peace of mind.

Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR