Attraction tool

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
MB12RING

Has anyone tried to make a recording of hatchling martins at their colony?

I have had martins coming in daily to the dawnsong recording being played at my site, but was wondering if anyone has attemted to make a recording of young Martin sounds to use as an attraction tool for late season.

I would think this time of the season that it would be very usefull to use the sounds of HY Martins to attract both adult and HY birds to a site that is trying to get established.

Is there something like this available through the PMCA, or would someone with a large colony- at the time your young start to fledge be willing/ able to make a CD of the sounds of young Martins for those of us trying to start a colony that may help draw in birds to a site that doesn't have any nesters?

It seems like the sound of HY birds may bring about the social attraction of successfull nesting at a site, and maybe help for next years attempt at attracting breeding Martins to an individual colony site.

All I know is when Martins here the sound of Nestlings at a site they are very attracted to it, and it seems like this could be an effective technuiqe for the late season wannabe landlord trying to bring in as many visitors as possible.
2013, back in the game with a pair at my satelite colony that has eggs due to hatch around July 7th
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

You may be onto something with this idea. I have noticed, at the beginning of the season, some ASY males will go inside a cavity and make peeping noises (like nestlings) when attempting to attract a female.

Unfortunately, we'll have to make this recording next year. I will have slept several times between now and then -- so, remind us again next season!!
Sincerely,
Laverne
MB12RING

Just thought I'd bump this up if anyone is willing or able to try to get a recording of fledglings at their site.

Still trying to establish a colony here and willing to try pretty much anything different. Apparently you need more than open flyways and good housing here in MI to attract and keep Martins. Not exactly sure what else besides luck, but I will figure it out eventually :wink:

Thanks
Matt
2013, back in the game with a pair at my satelite colony that has eggs due to hatch around July 7th