IOWA

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hi Onnen,
You are more than welcome to stop by my place this summer. I'm usually never around during the day. It might be best to wait til the season is over so I can show you a close up of the houses with all their modifications. Or I could mail you a DVD of my colony after the season. I rarely walk in my yard since the martins pretty much own my front yard and it tends to upset them.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
R Onnen

Well that sounds GREAT, We can wait, I've only been at it 4 years, SO MUCH TO LEARN! And you are close and some friends of mine have been to another place in Nevada, so thought might check it out. Thanks alot, Dave
pmcharter1

Dave,
looking into the Big creek park idea on monday, one thought was, in Madrid, they have a Edgewood park,with a nice cabin( last i knew it was free of charge) just need to sign up ,, it has a fridge and electrical inside and grills outside, and i live their so, if thats an option, and we can secure a date, i can get the key, and that would elimainate any bad weather situations also, and its nice . that way if any one would bring crock pots that needed warming up, we have outlets. to do so and a fridge for cold things till meal time. ( thoughts)?,i used it last yr for a graduation, and it worked out great, i can look into that also., last i knew it was free, as long as things were cleaned up and you lived in the community.you just go to the city hall, book the date , they wright your name down . and you pick up the key.and for those who may bring small childeren, theres a play area for them, the cabin has a fire place if needed, and fully seated with tables.. I wouldnt have a problem getting it , if we can get a date established, august would be fine, as nesting is over. let me know, im excited about this, and it would be great for all that love what we do. its been a long time coming, lets get this done! ill call tomorrow, on this, and send you a pm, or you can send me a pm with your cell, and well get this ball rolling , then spread the word!how great to have an iowa chapter!there is also a park next to the famous high tresle bridge , sweeds point park for campers who may want to stay the night, who travel a distance, with the great light show aluminating the blke trail over the des moines river valley--- a must see at night!keep me posted- im in!
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

R Onnen,
I'm looking forward to showing you my colony after the season is over. I'll contact you when my martins have gone and you can come on over to Nevada. Thanks.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Dave Duit

The Madrid site seems very appealing with electrical outlet and being able to go inside if there is bad weather. But, if the Big Creek people have good news about costs and availability that would be good too. I have a feeling everyone is just waiting for one of us to just go ahead and set a place and time and they would be happy regardless. Maybe everyone is being overly polite and setting back thinking it sounds good whatever anyone decides. lol.
After the time and date are set we can contact everyone from Iowa on purplemartin.org and anyone they know who is a martin enthusiast. August sounds good and Madrid or Big Creek sounds good.
pmcharter1

Dave,
sounds good, if i can get the cabin free, i think that would be the best bet,( hate to set a date) in an open shelter at big creek, and have to worry about the weather.early august sounds good, as later, school starts for some land owners who have children, and gets into labor day.Like i said dave, i think the cabin at madrid, is free, i will ck with both monday, if the cabin is free, hows the 25th of august sound? its a saturday.we can shoot for 1 pm if people are traveling. again. their are campgrounds availlable for over nighters., if they choose.not tryin to step on toes here , just want to get the ball rolling, and get the word out on a definate date, place and time.Im with you, i think we will be surprised by the outcome if we get the word out., and a reminder 2 weeks before on the web,,pot luck would be great,, i f we have side salads, and people want to bring hotdogs or hamburger, bring the buns to match, and we can grill. or casaroll dishes instead, with coolers of lemonade, or what ever, thoughts? im working on a few details that will bring this full circle, and make it , a great event!ill chat with you later on that, i maty need some help .
respectfully,
pm charter1
Dave Duit

August 25th Madrid Edgewood Park at 1:00 PM sounds great. If it is available and free I think it would be a go ahead and book it.
pmcharter1

Dave ,
let you know tomorrow, or monday--on that date, and if any cost, i think its free,should be a go.
R Onnen

Any more news??? I'm sure people are keeping an eye on this so we can spread the word.

Rod
Dave Duit

I think we are just on hold to see if pmcharter1 is able to secure the Edgewood park site in Madrid on August 25th at !:00 PM.
pmcharter1

dave,
sorry i never got back earlier. they rent the cabin for $25.00. but i told them this was a non profit organazation, and we were trying to get a chapter started in ia, and non profit, they charge nothing,. the city adminstrator was out til friday, and he is the one that books it. , i told them the 25 th of august, i will talk with him tomorow and book that date,if available, should be open according to the city clerk., , enen if they charge me, im sy=ure i can come up with 25.00 bucks. my main concern, is thats its not booked that date, ill know for sure tomorow, didnt sound like it was. i want to double ck, ill let you know tomorrow.im excited!
Dave Duit

pmcharter1,
Thanks for looking into booking for August 25th. Once we get it we can start contacting all the Iowa people on this website as well as having them spread the word. Good work. : )
pmcharter1

Dave,
sorry i have been late on my replies, real busy week, just graduated my daughter from college, and my oldest sons party was sat at our house, and he graduates this coming sunday. he had district track to qualify for state and he he did in 4 events, and he will run in 4 events at Drake starting thursday, and will run thru sat, been real busy dave. I will call tomorrow, and talk with the administrator, for the 25 th of august, should be a go, im pushing for it to be free to us, if not, well come up with 25.00 bucks,!I will give you e definate e- mail on this tomorrow, the 25 th should be a go, thank you so much for your paitence., ill keep you posted.
sincerely,
pm charter 1
Dave Duit

No problem. I completely understand that it gets busy sometimes. Besides we have all summer to get ready. tell your son good luck at state track.
pmcharter1

Dave.
called today, the administrater out in meetings on a new construction deal , trying to get a a grant for., i did talk to the city clerk, karen, and she left him a message to get with me tuesday,she felt it would be cost free after explaining things to her, - i just told her what we were about, and that we were a non profit organazation trying to get a ia chapter started for the PMA, in Ia,.( she then asks me - what a purple martin was)!. crazy she never new, but i explained them to her and their migrating habits, which i invited her to this so she could learn more. she lives in the country, love the outdoors, gardens and runs the pumpkin patch south of town, and she could be a great land lord!, she was estatic.
Dave, im going to work on my neighbor, hes always wanted them, but cant attract them, ( but hes busy, hes on the city council, runs laborday celebration, own his own buisness, heres the kicker, he runs mid national graphics, he can make anything from posters , banners, stickers, to t- shirts.-sweatshirts, ect. my thought was we can promote him and he could us. he can make some sample shirts, stickers, if we design it, he can make it . trust me i went to him with a design for the back window of my truck for my son in football, he put it in the computer, it came out awsome, he even put it on!, i guess, my thought process was, hes going to be there once i invite him, chance to earn and learn, thoughts?
again, when i here back from city hall tomorrow, ill let you know, plan on it! im looking forward to it!long tine coming dave, we will pull this off!its going to be a neat event.
thanks on the welll wishes at drake, as a team. we have one the state tital 3 yrs in a row,in class 1 a, we hope to compete good as a team, to acheive the 4th. ( but much work to do) as we lost alot of kids from last yr . but, we have a shot.nervous dad here!
let you know tomorrow on the cabin, any thoughts, or ideas you want to do, let me know, thanks
pm charter1
Dave Duit

I think you have done great work. My thoughts would be to invite as many as possible from Iowa on purplemartin.org and as many as they can encourage to come. For the established martin landlords they could bring any pictures or educational materials they may have to share with everyone attending. being the first year get together we could keep it simple and not have a keynote speaker or presenter; rather just PM enthusiasts mingling and sharing in a good pot luck. It is a chance for everyone to get to know each other and maybe make plans for next years meeting. As of now only a handful of people know we are planning an event. Thanks again for all your effort so far. : )
R Onnen

BUT.......More may be keeping an eye on it than we know, have you guys kept an eye on how many people Watch THIS Sight? Alot of them may be from Iowa, wondering how to help!!!!
pmcharter1

Dave,
as you can tell, i work alot of 2nd shifts--- thats why my posts are so late, i have to be in by 11.00 am so ill try and get on with it ha. administrator called---- its AGO!!! August 25 th, rent free, i can pick the key up thursday, or friday, the cabin is ( ours) all day on the 25 th.. i thinkwe should keep every thing on this thread if they are following, so they know whats happening.but, not a bad idea to send a new thread out late june, letting people from ia know about it., we may have to manage two sites for awile, but, our goal is intrest here, and we need to spread the word to start an ia chapter.give me thoughts on how you want this to go, food ect, im all in. , do we bring covered dishes, or bring our own to grill? things like that, my cell number is 515-669-6026, call me, if i don t answer, leave a message, proably at work.ill call you back, im like you, we can keep it simple , but we may be surprised if we get the word out, all in all, its a start in the right direction for the new ia chapter of the PMA! The more we can recruit to be here, the more that will spread the word!
keep in touch,
pm charter1
Dave Duit

I think you are correct Onnen. Many may already be following the thread. If you and PMcharter1 don't mind I could send you a basic info paragraph to be cut and paste to be sent via personal messgaes. To make things easier for you, me and Pmcharter1 I will PM the info paragraph and we could split up the alphabet of members from Iowa on the scout report. I will take A through I, Onnen can take J through Q, and pmcharter1 can take letters R through Z.
pmcharter1

Dave , not so good at cutting and pasting, send me somthing , show mw,or tell , me and i can do it. heck funny, when i deer hunt, turkey hunt, my my kids have to help me create files ! even though i work with a computer all day, i dont do that sorta of stuff, but ill try!.
Dave, i did talk with the owner of Mid National Graphics tonight, ( a super guy!) hes on our city council and wants and will be there to welcome the iowa chapter. He and i are going to develope a abanner and other things, free of charge. he and i are going to develope and make stickers for windows, bumper stickers for cars, and logos for t-shirts-sweatshirts, for all that atttened if they want to purchase or they come up with theire own design , he can create it.he will make markers drecting martin lovers to our cabin, free of charge, were working on designs for t-s, sweatshirts, PMA association, ia chapter, any thoughts , let me know.were at the beginning stages of this , logos my include, martinhouses with gourds, , maybe a calloge of different pics, . like i said , this man knows his work., and we want designs in place for martin lovers to buy if they choose,he is willing to make markers and banners for free, ide hope, we can support him in someway as land lords and repay him if they choose. trust me , you wont be dissapointed in his work. He . looks forward to helping us any way he can. keep me posted on thoughts, thanks, Rod