No Foolin' - Hatchlings!!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

I count six and I'll bet they hatched on Friday -- look how big they are!!

Here's a link to my post regarding the discovery of the eggs -- just last Tuesday!!

http://www.purplemartin.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22111
Sincerely,
Laverne
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Wow Laverne! They are so cute .... and early! 8)

I had seen your earlier post about eggs, so I decided to do a nest check yesterday too, just to be sure. No eggs, but they're already picking up nest material today - a whole month earlier than usual! :shock:
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
D'Nese

OOOOHHHH, little piggies!!!! I even have my daughter calling them that!!!! Aren't they so cute and cuddly LOL

:lol: 8)
D'Nese in Tennessee

2009-new house up, many visitors no one stayed
2010-3 pairs, 14 eggs, 9 babies 9 fledged
2011 20 pairs, 106 eggs, 79 fledged
2012 37 pair, 120 fledged
2013 37 pair, 173 fledged
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

That sure is early, congrats! I just went out and checked ours, I checked 10 nests, 2 had 6 egg clusters, 2 had 5 egg clusters, 1 had 2 eggs, the rest had nests. Have not seen any feeding activity, so I doubt that we have babies here.

Maybe they are trying to beat the heat this year, I sure hope so
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Wow, Emil... see you've got loads of eggs!! I'm gonna have to do another full nest check again early this week. These birds are getting a head start on us this year!!

Their behavior has changed again in the last few days. They are hanging around the housing until 1 or 2 o'clock. It's an indication that more females are staying in the nest longer due to laying eggs. :grin:
Sincerely,
Laverne
Brad-AL

Seems awful early for nestlings. Laverne, I checked a few nests yesterday to make sure whether I had any eggs or not. I didn't find any. Green leaf carrying has been going on for a week. I was sort of suprised to see any eggs, although it's still early for that.

KathyF wrote:Wow Laverne! They are so cute ..
Cute, you say? An adult Martin is a beautiful creature. The babies uglier than a mud fence to me at least. :grin:
High quality plastic gourds with porched, tunnelled SREH are Martin magnets.
Laverne

We know, Al. But, did you read what Emil found? In 10 nests he found 24 eggs...
Emil Pampell-Tx wrote:That sure is early, congrats! I just went out and checked ours, I checked 10 nests, 2 had 6 egg clusters, 2 had 5 egg clusters, 1 had 2 eggs, the rest had nests. Have not seen any feeding activity, so I doubt that we have babies here.

so, it's not just me!!

And rrmartins in Round Rock, TX said: "Been gone to Colorado all week. Just lowered the house and found a gourd with three eggs in it. Have nine other nest built and a couple more have started building."

The season is cranking up -- hope everybody has a good one!!
Sincerely,
Laverne
LDCLSU

Thats great. I also did nest checks. 1 gourd with 1 egg and 26 nest
2010- 8 pair
2011- 24 pair- 112 eggs- 103 fledge
2012- 40 pair- 147 eggs so far
PMAC Member
Brad-AL

Laverne wrote:We know, Al. But, did you read what Emil found? In 10 nests he found 24 eggs...
Emil Pampell-Tx wrote:That sure is early, congrats! I just went out and checked ours, I checked 10 nests, 2 had 6 egg clusters, 2 had 5 egg clusters, 1 had 2 eggs, the rest had nests. Have not seen any feeding activity, so I doubt that we have babies here.

so, it's not just me!!

And rrmartins in Round Rock, TX said: "Been gone to Colorado all week. Just lowered the house and found a gourd with three eggs in it. Have nine other nest built and a couple more have started building."

The season is cranking up -- hope everybody has a good one!!
Brad from AL (Alabama) here. :lol: I wasn't doubting you on your nestlings, just commenting that it's really early, or it seems to me that it's really early. I KNOW you have them. With the green leaf picking that has been going on here, I figured I'd I have eggs, but I didn't see any in the nests that I checked. I was especially surprised that there were no eggs in one nest, it was started a good week before the majority of them started. Eggs aren't far away, it seems that nest building is slowing down.
Patrick W. Dusek

WOW!!!!! congrats! Patrick
Spring time yet???
Laverne

:oops: :oops:

I'm so sorry, Brad! I hate making a mistake like that. Please forgive me?
Sincerely,
Laverne
steve r

Congrats on the babies. last count I had 33 with a lot more still to come. I still have 129 eggs and more nest building going on.
Laverne

Hey Steve. When are the first hatchlings of 2012 (in all of North America) going to fledge?

I hope you're enjoying your abundantly productive season... :wink:
Sincerely,
Laverne
Chriscreole

That is so kewl, i better check mine too......
PMCA Member since 2010
Super System 24, All Troyer W/Conley 2 entrances.
Matt@atx

Those are very cute healthy looking youngsters you have there. This is very early for them which is good news.

I really like those pine needles too. Good nesting materials. they look very comfortable on that pine needle nest. :grin:
2008~(1st yr) 4 pairs, 11 to 12 fledged
2009~(2nd yr) 9 pairs, 41 fledged
2010~(3rd year) 11 pairs. 50 fledged
2011~(4th year) 20 pairs, 23 out of 23 gourds Martin occupied, 3 fledged, the rest died in the drought. (1 new Blue Bird, 3 BB fledged.)
2012~ 26 pairs, approx. 100-110 fledged
Brad-AL

Laverne wrote::oops: :oops:

I'm so sorry, Brad! I hate making a mistake like that. Please forgive me?
It's all good Laverne. Don't give it another thought.
Sparky

Wow Laverne! Early for sure. I've got lots of eggs as well. I've been too busy trapping S & S to check until today. It's been a frenzy of S & S here lately. Many of my adults just came in last week. I guess they were cruising around this season. Just the early ASY's have eggs.
I'm a "nestcamaholic" Is 18 hours a day a bad thing? (I have 2 this year, luckily I have 2 eyes!)
DebA
Martin Colony History: Start 2009 with one pair. Upgraded from S&K houses to two Trendsetter 12's with gourds beneath in 2013. I have experienced job, pet, and parental losses since '13. The Purple Martins lift my spirits and remind me how life continues forward by flying their little selves from Brazil back to my yard. As one forum person once told me, chin up DebA, look at the martins. Danger all around but yet they soar in the sky without a care in the world.

Laverne,
Loved the pic! It'll be a little while for us to be at that stage. My husband concurs with Brad's thinking of "ugly". I am the type to see them as so cute and cuddly, too! The rapid growth and changes we get to see up close amazes me, but through all stages I think they look precious.

Deb
PMCA MEMBER
Pratt County, Kansas
2016 34 PAIR
2015 27 PAIR
2014 23 PAIR
2013 13 PAIR
2012 6 PAIR
2011 4 PAIR
2010 2 PAIR
2009 1 PAIR
steve r

Hey Laverne they should fledge in about 15 days. I just posted I now have over 100 babies.

Steve
trisha

I have one nest with 4 eggs! I knew she had been staying on the nest a lot!
Trisha

PMCA member
2019, 36 pair