Ohio Landlords get prepaired!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
BigT

This weather event is what I do not look forward to with early returning Martins. We have at least a week of sub 50 degree weather comming. Our birds will will be in very serious trouble or dead without suplimental feeding. This is similar to weather in 2005 that devistated populations in the Ohio valley but fortunately for now, is earlier in the season. We were in Florida on vacation during that 2005 cold spell, and returned to find sixteen dead martins on the ground in our back yard. We now have five early arrivals in residence. These birds were trained in past years to accept supplimental feeding, and hopefully will have good memories. Crickets are on order and eggs are in the fridge. Good luck everyone, and if your birds havn't accepted supplimental feeding in the past, this is the time to train them. Terry
CraigMo.
Martin Colony History: Active since 2003

Yes the forecast looks bad here also. I have been a landlord for 9 years and this year I already have my 1000 crickets because I am going to TRAIN my pms. I have tried before but did not have enough crickets to train them since I could not afford to buy that many from a bait store. I am able to feed them egg shells but thats during baby time and later. I hope not to lose any pms. I have 5 pms here now. Craig
Dawn~KS

Craig...........I wish you luck. You can do it! I trained mine and it sure gives you peace of mind. It is looking like a challenge the next week here too with the forecast. I have crickets and eggs. I got mine to switch to eggs last year but I will have crickets too. After a couple days of not getting to feed they should be very interested in what is flying through the air when you launch some crickets. I am hoping to get mine conditioned to a feeder this year as that would be even better. I have 5 birds also. Good luck!! :)

Dawn
CraigMo.

Thanks Dawn. Today is 45 and then worse under 40 for 5 days. I am guessing Saturday will be the training session for me and the pms. Good luck with yours too.
flyin-lowe

Typically if the high temp in the afternoon gets above 40 degrees there will be some bugs out to feed on, as long as there are dry periods. (40 and raining is not good). It is also a plus that it has been so warm the last couple weeks as this has woke up a lot of the bugs. I have seen a huge increase in flying insects the last week.
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
ljd-kc
Martin Colony History: Started my Colony in 2008 with 32 gourds and one ASY pair. As of 2017 I had 106 cavities with 106 pair.

Craig....... Good luck with training your martins, persistence with it will eventually pay off. Luckily mine have not showed up yet this year. I hope now they hold off until this cold spell is over with. But just in case I have crickets in the freezer. Hope you have a great year.

Jack
dcartwright

Anything wrong with cutting up earth worms and flipping them as you do the crickets?

Also, on the eggs, cooked well done or leave very soft?

Thanks.
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Don,

I will try to find the reference, but recall seeing info that earthworms were not the right food for martins, and could be harmful. Let me try to find it....[edit] may have been due to microbes in the earthworms' guts.
Last edited by Louise Chambers on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JamesG

My question is....who in the world would have come up with trying eggs in the first place.. :lol:
I wonder what an egg flying through the air looks like to a martin?
I would think that whom ever first tried an egg probably tried lots of other stuff and the eggs and crickets were the only two experiments that stuck... :lol:
Just some silly thoughts.
James
dcartwright

Thanks Louise,

A couple of years back I had 17 martins packed into one gourd with the last guy's tail feather sticking out. I thought one had gotten stuck in the entrance hole. When I opened the lid, I found all packed in very tight but all alive. I used the painter's tape (not very sticky) and wrapped each one placing them in a container and took in the house. Then fed each one mealworms for several days during the cold spell. Only had one that didn't make it that year.

Looking forward to your info on the earthworms.

Thanks,
Don
Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at my Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".

BigT --

Man that weather turned bad. We had a good hell storm yesterday, Car and Truck got a few dents. Deer came out of the woods like they were being shot at. Looks like going to be in the low 30's every night this week.
I sure hope the Martins can survive.

My friend and I pulled 12 birds out of one 6 by 6 room back in 04. Lost alot of the colony that year.
But it was early enough in the year, that more Martins showed up in late May. Feed them if you can...

Dave .. in Little Hocking, Ohio
Home Site “Little Hocking, Ohio”
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors
2019 — 1 Pair, 5 Eggs, 5 Babies, 5 fledged. :wink:
2020 — 1 Pair, 4 Eggs, 4 Babies, 4 fledged. :wink:
2021 — Waiting on March 2021

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2018 -- 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
2019 — 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Babies and 97 Fledged. :wink:
2020 — 30 Pair, 156 Eggs, 137 Babies and 137 Fledged. :wink:
2021 — Waiting on March 2021

PMCA Member
BigT

Dave, working to keep the few we have alive and healthy. Interesting birds this year. I have never had a problem with suplimental feeding. Usually, when we step on the back porch there is a mad rush to greet us when they are hungry. These birds are not interested in flipped food as of yet. Put the hand warmer in their compartment last night along with a couple dozen crickets. Checked around noon today and no birds. Half the crickets were gone, so they must be out hunting even in this cold weather. Going to reload again this evening and see what happends. Every year it's something a little different. Terry
Jim 1990

Craig
It took me a few sessions to get my to take crickets last year. I think I saw a post on here at one time that someone layed a large tarp down so they would be able to find the crickets that martins did no go after and be able to see them to pick up and reuse them.

Jim
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Craig,
Have you been able to get them to take the crickets yet? Good luck to you - mine are now acting like little dogs begging for food!! :lol: :lol:
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
CraigMo.

I was nervous but I had to flush my 8 pms out today in the snow at 33 degrees so I could feed them. With all the talk on this forum of the sucesses of feeding made me want to get them trained. I thawed 2 hand full of crickets and went out and tried to feed them but they would not come back to sit on the perches since most are new arrivals so they are still a little timid. On what I was gonna call their last fly by (I was gonna lower houses and put the crickets in the cavities.) They finally landed and I slowly walked up and started flipping. :) With probably less that 20 flicks they started feeding, all of em. One was a little slow but they all ate. I do not believe they were too hungry as many stopped trying for them. I quit feeding them and will be back out tomorrow. Question on crickets after you thaw them once can you refreeze them? Or just leave them be in room temp and feed them tomorrow? My advice to people that want to train their martins is to buy a mass amount (1000) of crickets at a reptile food place and do it that way. I know when I tried before I went to a bait store and it costs to much money. I am so glad I did this, I will probably never worry about cold weather again(not) but will know I am able to feed. My wife took pictures so maybe I will learn to post them here soon. My fingers about froze off when they were warming up. Its a good day for me. Who knows I might have to order another 1000 crickets before the weeks up. Oh yeah, thanks everyone for your encouragement
Craig
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Thanks and congratulations to all who are feeding the martins during this cold weather. As mentioned in another thread about feeding, not everyone can feed due to logistics, especially with weekend sites.

Don, TX rehabber Penny Halstead (from Rogers Wildlife rehab), who has provided other helpful advice, said feeding earthworms (cut up or whole) is not safe, for martins or for other baby birds.

She offered this explanation:
I strongly recommend NOT feeding cut-up or whole Earthworms to not only Martins but to ANY baby birds due to e-coli. Most birds have the bacteria in their intestinal tract naturally, but feeding Earthworms that have e-coli can cause a pathogenic strain to develop causing severe diarrhea. E-coli can also cause infections of the respiratory and reproductive organs.
Craig, re whether to re-freeze - if you can use thawed crickets in a day or so, and keep them refrigerated, should be okay. We have done that with no problems. But make sure it's not more than a day, to be safe.
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Craig - YAY! So happy your martins are feeding too! Here's a tip Linda R. gave me, regarding keeping your hands warm: if you have some old gardening gloves - or gloves you just don't care about anymore, cut 1/2 of the finger off for your flipping finger and you'll be able to keep your hands warm(er). And sports tape keeps you from wearing a hole in your flippin finger. :lol:

You're right about buying the crickets in bulk - I ordered mine from reptilefood.com and they overnighted them. I ordered 2000 more that will be here Tues. I didn't realize how much these guys eat, or I would have ordered more the first time around since the shipping is the same for 2 boxes as it is for 1 box anyway. I think I will always keep 2000 in the freezer before the martins get here every year, now that they're trained.
Last edited by KathyF on Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
Dawn~KS

Yahoo, Craig!! Happy to hear of your success. I feel so bad because I know there will be deaths as not all martins will be fed. I know it is nature but it is hard to think about. At least we are saving ours. It is best, if you can, to go out several times a day. I know crickets cost but try some scrambled egg....

So glad you and others are not *letting this crisis go to waste*!!

Hoping continued success for you...

Dawn :grin:
Last edited by Dawn~KS on Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim 1990

KathyF

That is a great tip using the finger cut out of the glove so that the hands wont get so cold feeding the martins

Jim 1990
Jim 1990

Craig

Great to hear your martins are eating the crickets. When my martins learned to eat the crickets I started flipping egg so I could make my crickets stretch

Jim 1990