Martin in NE Kansas

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Dawn~KS

Male martin came in yesterday (March 15th) late evening. Yippie, yahoo, and sooooo nice to see and hear him. This is 8 days earlier than last year and season #5 for me!! :)
cchild03

That's great news, Dawn! I'm wondering if mine will make it back early this year here in Leavenworth County.

This will be my fourth season. In '09, they returned on April 15 and last year, they were back on April 04. I still haven't raised my housing because I'm always fighting sparrows. The longer I can go without trapping, the more free time I have. ;) I usually don't raise them until March 20th or so. But seeing how a lot of people are getting their birds back early, maybe I should go ahead and do it.

Best of luck to you for a great season!
Candace
Dawn~KS

Hi Candace...

You are not far at all from me so keep an eye to the sky (like I have to tell a martin nut that). :grin: I am SW of Atchison and only 40 minutes or so from Leavenworth. The sparrows are a pain so good luck on that front. I had a starling here this morning. He will be history soon.

Good luck to you too!! :)

Dawn
CraigMo.
Martin Colony History: Active since 2003

Hi Dawn Great news for you. You have a good season
ChrisM

I have not seen any martins yet this year. :-(

The weather is expected to be in the 70's this week with storms coming in the weekend.

Good news! So far this year I have seen very few starlings!! :grin:

Also, have asked my neighbor not to open the doors on her m house until I do.

The martins I get will have less shrubbery to look at than that last year, so should help keep a few predators, and sparrows away. We took out 40 year old junipers due to a water leak and there was no going around them. It looks kind of bare along the foundation, but I plan on having a small patio there someday anyway, right next to our new deck which was put in last year, and a great viewing area for my beloved martins.

Good luck to all fellow martin lovers everywhere...esp Kansas!

Chrism Hiawatha, Brown County, KS
Dawn~KS

Thank you, Craig!! You have a great season too! :)

Chris, sounds like we are pretty close. I was born and raised in Brown Co. (Horton). I have been in Hiawatha many times. The weather will be bringing in many more I am sure. I love to see them but know that we are not out of the cold weather yet. I have crickets in the freezer and eggs in the fridge if I need them. Good luck to you and I hope you have many martins this year to watch off that new deck!! Martins are amazing! :grin:
ChrisM

I was raised near there too, so our folks may have even known each other.

Currently it is pretty windy, and do not need a jacket. I may put my martin house down a little this year when windy, just to be on the safe side, with no shrubs to help block the wind now it may be a good idea.

I am getting ready for them this year with eggs, and probably will order crickets..esp since the weather is so unpredictable.

Have a good week! :)
Dawn~KS

Two wonderful males soaring here this evening!! Glorious sounds!!! :grin: :grin:

Few things make a person as happy as the first martin arrival. Congratulations. I am in NW Missouri and historically I am 2 weeks away. Have fun
Dawn~KS

You are exactly right.............and that first arrival tops the list I think. Then comes the first eggs, baby, etc. Pretty grand hobby if you ask me!! :)

They are coming and with this warm windy day you just might see one. Good luck to you too for a great 2011 season!!

Dawn :grin: