Impact of trapping local HOSP / Range of HOSP dispersal

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Robbo

Louise,
What if you cannot shoot in town/city? Trapping is for sure and the SREH's do the job on Starling's . Them pesky Sparrow's however can be a real pain. Another tool for control? Why not if it works?
Rob.
2009. 98 eggs, 66 hatch, 61 fledged.
2010. 114 eggs, 89 hatch,70 fledged.
2011. 96 eggs. 80 hatch,68 fledged.Heavy Merlin preditation.
2012. 89 eggs. 56 hatch, good fledge. Guards installed. Merlin not sighted at houses.
2013. First Egg May 24, first Baby June 13.
2014. successful.
2015. successful.
2016. Martin's population decline, suspect new housing in the neighborhood. Merlin eating well also!
2017.Population explosion :grin: . first egg May 25 in a BO-11
2018. Population stable.
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

I am certainly a proponent of trapping! Our ST-1 is hard at work today, again. And we use SREHS, plus have trap up for starlings.

I'm thinking that to use an electric gizmo, someone has to sit, watch, make an ID, and operate - all to run off one bird, one time. I would not have the time to do that. Shooting takes the same effort but the bird is gone for good. You are right, not everyone can shoot due to location or time and skills required.

Traps are the most time-effective method - set them and that's it, but monitor regularly. I would find it more useful to trap and remove a HOSP or starling than to run one off. Just my preference. :wink:
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

jimnks, it obvious that you don't understand the way electricity works, something is either conductive or not, there is not much space between. You can break that resitance down sometimes with a higher voltage. There must be a conductive medium for the current to flow. If the sparrows feet are not conductive (they probably are like insulators), then the current cannot flow thru them.

Now if you could stick two sharp wires under their feathers and touch their skin, then the electricity would quickly kill them. But the sparrows feet are not skin, and they probably will not allow the current to flow.

My guess still is that it will not work, but you sure are welcome to try.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
Gobbler T

jimnks

I don't know if he ever got shocked or not. I figured he would fry like an egg! :P He kept coming.

Louise, You may remember my story last summer about sitting in a hunting blind for an hour and a half just to get a shot at him, only to shoot a hole in my blind and miss the bird. (same starling) :lol:

He drove me nuts but he never nested!
Tony

2007 --- 0 2011---0 2015---4
2008 --- 0 2012---0 16-19—0
2009 --- 0 2013---1 2020—?
2010 --- 0 2014---3
jimnks

Rob, I have not tried it, I really don't need it, as I live in a rural area where I can use a shotgun, but I have some friends in town who could use this "electic gizmo" as another method of control. I just wanted to see if anybody had tried this so I could learn from other peoples experiences. I thank you and Tony for your input. Jim
jimnks
jimnks

Emil, Sir, I have completely wired a few houses from the meter box back by myself, and I do know a little bit about fence chargers, as I use to use one to keep my angus bull where I wanted him, I know that I am "obviously" no expert on electricity by any means but I do know a little bit about it. Thank You Jim
jimnks
jimnks

Louise, I thought you had to eliminate one HOSP at a time, as at my place they are not in flocks during nesting season. They are either in pairs or the male by himself, and their is always one that seems to be a real pain to get rid of.Even though I would like to kill the whole flock at once I have only managed to kill 2 in the air at once as they flew close together as they exited the martin house.
Jimnks
jimnks