7 Houses erected this morning in Mandeville

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

This morning, Bo Kite and I were able to get 7 PM houses up along the Lakeside Dr. Tomorrow morning Bo will put up three or four more on the opposite end.

We could have done more but the wind picked up and the waves were becoming tough to deal with over the jetties.

Over the next few weeks we should have the rest of them up. We wanted to get a few up this week in case some scouts needed a place to sleep for the night.

There were a few extra decoys laying around so I borrowed two to use on my small 6 gourd setup in Slidell.

fingers are crossed.

Tell us more about this undertaking,,,,,,

dick
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

dicklaxt wrote:Tell us more about this undertaking,,,,,,

dick
I'm helping Bo Kite of Mandeville, La with a setup of 24 PM houses spread out along Lakeshore Dr. The houses are located about 50 to 75 feet over the lake at the end of jetties. I think each house holds about 18 cavities.

This is the third year it's been done. The colony is established and best of all there are no sparrow/starling problems- due to them being over the lake we assume.

There are some threads on this topic put up by Bo with more info. If you google "purple martin festival in mandeville" you'll get some links to some additional stuff on the setup.

Also of note is the houses are located very close to a known roost at the end of the Causeway Bridge in Mandeville.

hope this helps. :-)
dsonyay

wanted to add that if you search for posts by roykite2004, you'll see quite a bit of history on the Mandeville PM site along Lakeshore Dr.
CraigMo.
Martin Colony History: Active since 2003

I did your search and man that looks hard to walk down and put those houses up. I am sure I would fall in the water. They looked very nice all set up. Good job on helping
dsonyay

It's not too bad- and not for the sqeemish :-D

The reason we had to stop today was because the wind picked up and was breaking over the jetties. Started to get ugly out there. The water is only 1 to 2 feet deep off the sides. But who wants to get wet in 30 degree weather!

Great Job my friend,,,,,,,,,I liked the sonyay,LOL

dick
Carlton
Martin Colony History: I moved to South Florida, from Delaware, in August of 2015.

I will have 2 MSS-8 houses, with Excluder entrances, here on my condo grounds. This season I will also have two Deluxe Gourd Racks with 24 Excluder Gourds with Modified Excluder entrances. In our condo development, along the lake in a different section, I have 8 Excluder Gourds hanging from 84 inch Shepherd's Hooks with predator guards.

At Quiet Waters Park, nearby in Deerfield Beach, I care for a Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 TVG's. I also care for a Deluxe Gourd rack with 12 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder entrances.

At another local park, Tradewinds Park at Coconut Creek, care for a Trendsetter 12, 5 gourds rack with 60 Excluder gourds with Modified Excluder Entrances and 1 Deluxe Gourd Rack with 12 Troyer Vertical Gourds with wing guards over the Conley II to keep out smaller starlings.

Very interesting. Thanks for all your efforts!

Fun to read about peoples' projects to help our birds survive.
dsonyay

dicklaxt wrote:Great Job my friend,,,,,,,,,I liked the sonyay,LOL

dick
yeah- the phoenetic spelling. It's the best way to get people to pronounce my name. Nice catch! (I learned that from my friend "tib a doe" ;-)
John Miller

David

I found the photo. It's marvelous. I hope to see the site some day.

I worry about these smaller cavities and round holes as there's probably greater risk of fall outs and predation. I'd think the gulls might take some babies from porches, but not sure. But this type of basic housing has sustained the martins for decades.

There's a little town in Alabama, Fair Hope, that has martin houses out in the bay...I hope to visit there too.

A few years ago, I was standing and looking at martin houses on a dock in Missouri in a sub division at Lake of the Ozarks late one evening. A woman who lived on the land side came out onto her porch -- thought I was weird or something -- and asked if I needed anything. Always wished I had asked her if supper was ready. My point...hope you have some signage up. People tend to become oblivious to martin housing unless we point out that it's something special.

Thanks for all your good work,
John Miller
dsonyay

John,
There's been zero problems with people messing with the nests. They are out on jetties that only a nut (like Bo and I) will walk on ! :)

And maybe an ocassional problem with crows. The nests were heavily populated and put out loads of fledges. I'm sure a couple fell out and were eatn by some sort of scavenger-- but I guess that's nature. We'll try to do better nest checks this year.

I'm sure at some point the houses will need to be replaced and I'd love to see much longer cavities too. For now- that's what we have.

Yesterday I also stopped by a house that had a lowered PM unit in the backyard. Had been trying to stop by there for a while. The owner was kinda surprised I showed any interest. He knows nothing of the internet resources and I pointed him to this site.

He told me he kinda leaves his alone and that a couple of sparrows were "sharing" some holes with the martins. :) I told him about what was likely happening and he was a bit upset to hear that. I think he'll be logging on here soon too. He's a 3/4 mile from my house and I'm sure I may catch some overflow from his 12 unit house. There's plenty of Martins in a one mile radius of my site (last summer). So as a new landlord in the Slidell area, I'm optomistic I'll get a few. I'm also the only guy with gourds. Everyone else has the 6x6" compartment houses fromn what I can tell.

Thanks for the nice comment.

DS
zoefluf

David,

Glad you are getting things set up. I live in Bush - a few miles north of Mandeville - and saw my first scout this morning! He was sitting on one of the perches of my lowered housing. I couldn't believe my eyes! I've never seen a scout this soon and didn't have my housing ready. I had to go out and get some wet pine needles- dry them with my hair dryer - and hurry up and clean out two troyer gourds and make them nice and cozy in case he wants to stay for a while. That's what I get for procrastinating! :roll: But it was a nice surprise.
Jeanne
"Look at the birds in the sky. They do not sow or reap, yet your heavenly Father feeds them."
dsonyay

Thanks Jeanne-- mine are up and ready (Big Bo Gourds) with pine straw (I didn't pre-heat mine like you did though :) )

Sent you a PM