SY'S still coming in midwest ?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
jimnks

Hi Yall, I live about 30 miles west of Kansas City, I have around 25 to 30 birds so far this year, (I have one heck of a time counting them) and I have had them for about 3 weeks. I don't know if I have any sy's or not as I have a hard time telling the sy males from the females, is anyone around in the midwest still getting sy's ? Also have been reading the posts about the great crested flycatcher are their any this far north? I have'nt seen one, well if I did I sure couldn't identify it. I sure hope our neighbors in Oklahoma recover from that bad storm and hopefully get their martins back !!! Have a nice day Jimnks
jimnks
CraigMo.
Martin Colony History: Active since 2003

I am pretty full here so I realy don't see to many newcomers, but you should expect sy's till end of May. Maybe even the 1rst week of June. Your birds will tell you by their excited voices when you have a visitor. When you hear them get excited look around them and they will usually point them out to you especially sy-males. Doesn't have to be a sy either any stranger you will hear about it. But neighboring colonies will visit a lot and they won't get excited.
Jeff Robinson
Martin Colony History: 2008 thru Current
72 Cavities - 68 Pairs in 2020
PM Mentor

Hey jim,

Like Craig said. I'm now up to 4 SY pairs and an extra SY female, on top of 7 ASY pairs. I've been gaining one to 2 SY pairs a week the last 2 - 3 weeks. If you have a decent pair of binocs, you should easily be able to tell the SY males - they're darker on the back and head, more purple than brown, and some will have purplish spots or coloring on the underside of their necks and anywhere from one to multiple purple spots anywhere on their underside.
PMCA Member - Bedrock Colony
JJ Jones
Martin Colony History: Average (100) pairs per season

SY's here in the Midwest will almost always appear throughout the month of May and the first week of June. That has been my personal observation here in Southeast Indiana. Good Luck! JJ
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

The PMCA is still getting SY arrival reports from as far south as KY, TN, IL, MO, KS and NC, all within the past day or two. And of course anywhere north of those states. Those are first SY reports, they are still trickling in further south too. Mid June is generally the time things really start to slow down.
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

Jim,
My colony was raising a ruckus last night about 8:15 pm - when I looked, there were 3 new sub-adults (2 females & 1 male) flying around the racks, trying to get into any open gourd they could.

I tried to send them to your place, but they said something about "Kansas is a boring state"...or something like that. :lol: :lol:

Anyway, they're still arriving. Congratulations on your growing colony!
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Boo hoo on Kathy's post...the only thing that I can think of thats good about Mizzouri is the St.Louis Cardinals...Ahhh its so nice to be a Jayhawker...
razman

TonyG wrote:Boo hoo on Kathy's post...the only thing that I can think of thats good about Mizzouri is the St.Louis Cardinals...Ahhh its so nice to be a Jayhawker...
DITTO........(except for the cardinal thing, sorry Tony) GO YANKS!
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

TonyG wrote:Boo hoo on Kathy's post...the only thing that I can think of thats good about Mizzouri is the St.Louis Cardinals...Ahhh its so nice to be a Jayhawker...
Tony & Raz - who are the "Jayhawks"? Never heard of them. :lol: :lol: :lol:
TonyG wrote:the only thing that I can think of thats good about Mizzouri is the St.Louis Cardinals
...hey, the other thing is lots & lots & lots of martins!!! :wink: :lol: :lol:

...oh and our state bird also is one of the coolest! :wink: http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/tv/video.asp?med ... 84392_6871
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

Yeah Kathy, i'll give you that much..Bluebirds are pretty cool.....much better than being a Tiger fan thats for sure..Go Jayhawks..
jimnks

Hi Yall, I haven't been able to get on here for 2 days because our dial-up server is always busy,( Lucky has really been chewing on my butt, something about being a tight *ss and getting a faster internet server, I really laid down the LAW to her last night about who the boss was, if she would have been in hearing distance SHE WOULD HAVE BEEN FURIOUS!)Anyway I think I have atleast 30 birds and their seems to be some fighting going on, but I still can't seem to tell the difference between the females and the SY males, I need some kind of a spotting scope I guess!!Well THANKS to my fellow Kansans for taking up for our fine state, I like the cardinals too, but Razman the YANKEES, JEEZ!! Kathy, you just couldn't leave it alone could ya ? You had to insult our state and start another border war, well for your information the definition of a JAWHAWK is a TIGER TAMER!! Tony and Razman, we need to figure out how to use them little smiley face things,the LADY from Lickin ain't going to tell us now. Heck Emil is using them now and I still can't figure it out!! Thanks to all who posted, have a nice day Jimnks
jimnks