Da House be Full!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
KathyF
Martin Colony History: Colony started - 2007 with one pair
As of 2018 - 84 cavities offered, max # of pairs hosted - 82.

:grin: :grin:

Working on my photo resizing skills. Took this today.
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
http://kathyfreeze.blogspot.com
zoefluf

Great picture, Kathy. How many cavities do you have in your set-up? Are ALL of them full? Congratulations!
Jeanne
"Look at the birds in the sky. They do not sow or reap, yet your heavenly Father feeds them."
Jeff Robinson
Martin Colony History: 2008 thru Current
72 Cavities - 68 Pairs in 2020
PM Mentor

Nice-n-Busy! Way to go Kathy - I bet they're loving that new pond!!
PMCA Member - Bedrock Colony

I am jealous!!! Congrats on all the beautiful birds.

Good going Kathy,how many males,Females.
3 adult males showed up at the starling / sparrow martin houses in ellington yesterday. but no females yet.
Veronica G

It's a great feeling to walk outside and see your martin house covered in martins!! It's even better when you know they've had a good day and they're all just sitting around preening and squawking at each other!

Congratulations!! :grin:

Veronica
P.S. I want a pond now too. Wonder if I can fit one on a neighborhood lot...
I participate in Project Martin Watch!
KathyF

zoefluf wrote:Great picture, Kathy. How many cavities do you have in your set-up? Are ALL of them full? Congratulations!
Jeanne
Thanks, Jeanne - This house has 12 cavities - full of 12 pair. I also offer 48 troyer horizontal gourds that, as of today, have about 5 pair in them, with a few extra males hanging around, for a total of 60 cavities. Not full yet - still waiting for the teenagers to fill up the rest! :lol:
"Sometimes", said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
KathyF

Jack Sanders wrote:Good going Kathy,how many males,Females.
3 adult males showed up at the starling / sparrow martin houses in ellington yesterday. but no females yet.
Thanks, Jack! The house is full of paired up males / females, so there are 12 pair in there, and 5 pair in my Troyer Horizontal gourds and I have a few unpaired ASY males running around right now. So a total of 17 pair right now. Needing more females! :lol:
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair

all i've seen so far is a few passing thru but i'm blairing the dawn song every morning and the chatter cd all day long, so maybe i'll get another start.
Dick Sherry

Kathy, you have created an ideal place for martins and are doing a great job of sharing your interest and enthusiasm! Congratulations. Your martins are very lucky to have such a wonderful colony site.
Doug Martin - PA
Martin Colony History: First pair in 2009 after 28 years of trying. 3 pairs 2010, 17 pairs 2011 and 35-45 pairs since. Many additional colonies are now springing up around mine in an area once completely void of Martins. I offer 50 compartments at my site consisting of primarily Excluder II gourds on Gemini racks. Also a wooden T-14. I utilize electric fence type predator guards on the base of the poles. Supplemental feeding is crucial in maintaining my colony. I platform feed throughout the season as needed. My site tends to be a stop over point for additional birds as they migrate further north.

Nice Kathy!!

Round holes????

Wow you are lucky to not have the starling population I do. I could not dream of putting up a house in my area with round holes.

Keep up the great "work" (I really mean fun) but is it hard work too.

Doug
Supplemental feeding plays a major role in western Pennsylvania. Finally got my 1st pair in 2009 after 28 years of effort. 3 pairs in 2010. 17 pairs in 2011. 35 pairs and 150 young in 2012 & 2013. Plus a new 22 pair colony right down the road from me.
KathyF

Dick Sherry wrote:Kathy, you have created an ideal place for martins and are doing a great job of sharing your interest and enthusiasm! Congratulations. Your martins are very lucky to have such a wonderful colony site.
Thank you for the kind words, Dick! It is always a blast when they return. I'm hoping Bob & I can return to see the roost this year in Tulsa. Time to do some shopping in the big city again, anyway. :lol: :lol: :wink:
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
KathyF

rdfalk wrote:Nice Kathy!!

Round holes????

Wow you are lucky to not have the starling population I do. I could not dream of putting up a house in my area with round holes.

Keep up the great "work" (I really mean fun) but is it hard work too.

Doug
Thanks, Doug! Yes, the Trendsetter has round holes. I work from home and monitor all day. No more problems really with starlings around here - :grin:

I have 48 gourds with the Conley II entrances and my martins LOVE them (long story - experiment I did last year). I'm thinking of converting the house next year to Conley entrances - because even one starling can do damage, but since it's aluminum, it will be a pain.
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
Dick Sherry

Kathy, our local economy could use a boost. Come back any time!

The area around the roost has changed some. The city removed some of the trees on the north side of the street on either side of the Convention Center entrance. It is such a great place to watch the birds, I am hoping there are still enough trees that they will be there again. We will start watching in June, and will post information on where the roost is located.
Stingray

Edited
Last edited by Stingray on Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a great season!
jimnks

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO IS, quit gloating and release my birds, because I recognize 5 of those birds they stayed at my place last year, they are those 5 real handsome ones, but I will take any of those other ones too, beggars can't be choosy!!Don't be taking all the credit either because I am sure your husband has helped you do some of the work , anyway it's a nice looking site, good job and good luck!!! Jim and OL'Lucky.
jimnks
KathyF

jimnks wrote:WHAT YOU NEED TO DO IS, quit gloating and release my birds, because I recognize 5 of those birds they stayed at my place last year, they are those 5 real handsome ones, but I will take any of those other ones too, beggars can't be choosy!!Don't be taking all the credit either because I am sure your husband has helped you do some of the work , anyway it's a nice looking site, good job and good luck!!! Jim and OL'Lucky.
Jim - I tried to send them back to your place, but they're a little upset about your housing not being open & ready for them, so they're going to stay here a while longer & make you wait! :lol: :lol:

Ok, ok - I'll give my husband some of the credit - he has some beautiful muscles from digging all the holes where I told him to dig! :wink: :lol:

Thanks, Jim - we have been very fortunate here! Best wishes to you this year!
2016 - 82 pair
2015 - 76 pair
2014 - 75 pair
2013 - 75 pair
2012-72 pair
pugsleyhall

Kathy,

Mighty purty birds you have there!
:grin:

Melissa
DakotaLady

Oh Kathy, what a beautiful sight. All those martins...just dreaming here.
~Tangula~

2013 - 16 pair, 79 eggs, 71 fledged
2012 - 4 pair, 18 eggs, 18 fledged