Live Video inside Sunset Inn House with 6 Baby Martins

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

I just installed another Webcam inside one of the compartments on my Sunset Inn Housing. If you are viewing the ColonyCam of my housing, this is compartment #1, first floor of the left house. (see signature area of this message for how to access the ColonyCam)

This compartment had 5 eggs on May 15 and all 5 eggs hatched on May 30 with all of the babies doing fine. Three days ago, in talking to one of the employees of Rogers Wildlife Rehab Center, I ended up taking a young Purple Martin from her and I placed it into this nest of 5 babies, so now there are 6 babies in this nest! (Rogers Wildlife Center had been taking care of this infant but wanted it to continue it's development with a Martin family). The adopted infant appears to be a day or two older since it's a bit larger than the others, but a really close fit, I think.

The two parents of this nest are both SY's and are VERY busy feeding these 6 youngsters. I have been watching them for a while and I'm very impressed with their skills in feeding these infants. They don't just stuff the food down the infant that is closest to the entrance, or that is stretching out the highest, or is making the most noise. The female, especially, will look over the group for a bit, then often step in and feed one of the infants that is way in the back of the group.

In order to put this new NestCam on Purple Martin TV, I disconnected the Barn Swallow NestCam and I am using that channel for this new MartinCam. So to view this NextCam just click on this link:

http://www.purplemartin.tv/gus_stangeland/default.htm

Or if you want something easier to remember, just go to:

http://www.purplemartin.tv/ and click on Camera 1 under my name. (This URL is easy to remember)

The camera I am using for this nest streams color video during the day, when there is enough light, then switches to night vision using infrared lighting at night. This is the same camera I'm using in the gourd.

You can view both NestCams at the same time, just use two separate browser windows. I keep both of these on PLUS the High Definition ColonyCam on my screen all the time. It's nice to watch the Colony Cam because you can see when an adult comes in with food, then switch your attention to the appropriate NestCam to watch the feeding. The Internet delay on the ColonyCam is much less than the delay on the NestCams so this gives you a "heads-up" that a feeding is about to occur.

I'm working with another streaming video server so that I can also put the Barn Swallow nest back on the air. At the moment, there is not much to see since it's just the female sitting on the eggs. The eggs are due to hatch on or about June 16. I'll try to have this 3rd party server operational by then. Or maybe the owner of PurpleMartinTV will allocate a 3rd channel for me. :wink:

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me via IM or directly by e-mail at gus at tx dot rr dot com. Enjoy!
The Olsons

Gus,

That is so great that Rogers Wildlife has you help them with a martin baby....I wish you the best of luck with all your babies and their hard working parents. I am off to work now, but will check out your new camera this afternoon and then.......not getting anything done again :oops: :roll:

Astrid
Love it or leave it~~~Astrid :-)

Thanks, Astrid!

BTW, watching Purple Martin videos is a task that takes priority over all other household duties (except taking care of your own Martins). It's considered a legitimate activity and should not be deferred because of work. :grin: :grin: :grin:
wyatt

Gus,

This is simply amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Wyatt

Just a couple notes about the new MartinCam. First, it appears to be a bit out of focus. I attempted to focus it using a spare Sunset Inn house with nest tray prior to installing it, but it must have changed somehow. Maybe one of the adults pecked at it, haha!

Those of you that have Sunset Inn houses will know the floor plan. The compartment is 6 inches deep (front to back) and 11 inches wide (side to side). The entrance hole is a crescent and is located off to one side. The nest tray is 5 1/2 inches wide - that's why you can see some space between the nest tray and the wall to the right of the picture. (this wall is actually the front door.

Then the nest tray is 6 1/2 inches from front to back (after the tray foyer was cut off) The adult Martins come in via the crescent entrance hole that you see as a very bright half-circle on the lower-right of the video. After entering, they have a 6 inch by 4 1/2 inch foyer, then they turn to the right and perch on the wooden crosspiece to feed the infants.

The camera is Velcro-ed to the top-middle on the left side of the compartment looking out and down to the nest tray. The lens on the camera is a 2.5mm wide angle lens. These cameras are day/night color cameras and do not have integrated audio. So there is a separate microphone in both this compartment and the gourd to pick up the vocalizations.

The next time I do a nest check, I'll try to adjust the focus for a more clear video. I'm using the exact same camera in the GourdCam and it appears to have a sharper image.

I made some adjustments to brightness, contrast, saturation and sharpness on the Sunset Inn NestCam which helped a little on the clarity of the video. It's still a bit out of focus and I will try to re-focus tomorrow some time.

All six of the young Martins seem to be doing well, keeping the SY parents very busy bringing food in to them.

Sunset Inn NestCam:
http://www.purplemartin.tv/gus_stangeland/default.htm

Troyer Horizontal Gourd NestCam:
http://www.purplemartin.tv/gus_stangeland_2/default.htm

Gus
iluvbirds

Gus, I was almost freaking out here. A subbie male was in the gourd with the babies pecking around on them. Momma came in and started whipping up on him. He just laid there playing possum. I was getting ready to start a new post to let you know, but then I heard the rack start coming down, and you must have been taking care of the situation... :) ...The subbie left the gourd when you started lowering the rack..

Oh no, I think he's in the house now. Yes, he is mom and dad just came in then went out. He's just sitting in the nest with the babies.
....... Pat
iluvbirds

Whew, he left. I hope he doesn't bother them again... :grin:
....... Pat

Yes, I've been watching all this and the hair is standing up on the back of my neck! I watched him go into the gourd first, pecking at the young ones. Then I lowered the houses and he flew out right as I got to the bottom. I was going to grab him if I could and dab some paint on his tail and take him several miles away.

Then he DID go into the house and pecked around in there. At one time he grabbed the beak of one of the little ones. Then at another point he stuck his beak down the throat of one of the little ones as if ti feed it.

Sure, he feels bad that he doesn't have a family but that does NOT give him the right to intrude like this. I'm really concerned now that he has been on both places, AND gotten AWAY with it, he will continue to come back. I'm really surprised the parents don't make mince (martin) meat out of him and run him out of town!

I starte to lower the house again to get him our of the nest tray, but he flew off.

Do YOU see six babies in the house? I sure hop he hasn't already tossed one out.

OK, I better go out there again.
iluvbirds

I think they're all in there, and seem to be doing fine. Mom and dad has resumed feeding again. Good luck, I hope he doesn't come back! :)
....... Pat

iluvbirds wrote:I think they're all in there, and seem to be doing fine. Mom and dad has resumed feeding again. Good luck, I hope he doesn't come back! :)
Pat, thanks for watching these NestCams and letting me know what you see.

Gus
The Olsons

Gus,

I did not see the part with the subbie in the nest, but know that they can be a real pain. This year so many landlords have lost babies due to the fact that the subbies throw them out of the nests. They will also cause trouble once the babies fledge. I have seen them try to fight with them when the babies leave the nest for the first time....I never understood how the own species can be so "mean" to the babies....This guy is more than likely going to be back and keep trying to harras your colony. I know you and many of us are keeping an eye on him....I think you need a special "subbie alert pager".... :roll: :oops: :shock:

Astrid
Love it or leave it~~~Astrid :-)
drdoo55

Gus There seems to be one in the nest that is much smaller than the others.I watched for a long time and never seen it fed by the parents. Tony O

drdoo55 wrote:Gus There seems to be one in the nest that is much smaller than the others.I watched for a long time and never seen it fed by the parents. Tony O
Yes, I'm aware of the runt. I watched for a long time yesterday and I DID see it get fed two large dragonflies. But I worry about it and when I took the housing down to adjust the camera, I moved him over to the front of the Nest Tray. But I don't know how long he managed to hold that position.

To complicate things a bit more, the orphan that I got from Rogers Wildlife is slightly larger than the others and it tends to hang out in the front of the nest tray trying to grab each meal as it comes in. However, I have seen the parents bypass it over and over for someone else in the back. So I can't say he is "hogging" any of the food.

As to the runt, I really don't know what else to do, I just hope it makes it.

Thanks for watching and letting me know what's going on.

Gus