Hard to Believe

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
DelmaWhisenhunt

The martins keep coming to the older house and sometimes attempt to land on the new one, but no, the little warriors keep watch. At one time this afternoon, think there was about five or six on the house which is encouraging. I had almost given up. Don't know exactly what I will do to rid the sparrows if I am lucky enough to trap them. Before my husband passed away I was trying desperately to attract the martins and the sparrows were headaches. I suggested to him if I caught several he could haul them out in the country and turn them loose. His remark/ Yes, and if he were caught hauling sparrows, guess where he would land, the closest nut house. He enjoyed my enthusiasm/ more a by stander. He was busy building, no time to trap sparrows. Have to say he was good to move the houses, trying to find better attraction location and was willing to listen to all my gripes about the sparrows. He would not be surprised at the effort I am still putting forth to be successful. It may be work, but its also fun and I enjoy, and really enjoy the ideas and success of you guys that post.
Delma Whisenhunt
Idabel, OK
Martin Lover
Tony Lau

Trapping and relocating sparrows doesn't work, they would most likely beat you home from wherever you drove them to. If you can't stand the thought of killing them, clip the flight feathers on one wing and let it go, and let nature take care of it.

Hey Delma,

I am happy to say it's obvious that you are determined to have martins. Me too!!!! It's coming a bad storm her with heavy rain, lightning, large hail, strong wind and thunder. My Pms took off before it started. Haven't seen them back. I'm going to have to stop worrying about them so much. :cry: Those sparrows are little devils. They are extremely smart. Since I have shot a number of them with my pellet gun they won't even come around if they see me outside. I guess I'm going to have to build a trap. Doesn't look like I can outsmart them! :oops:

Your husband sounds like he was a really good man. I am so sorry for you loss. I lost my Dad 2 yrs ago this memorial day. Really miss him. Mom is still grieving. I undestand how you feel. May God bless you and give you comfort.

I'm still predicting that your PM houses will be full. :shock: :grin: :lol:

YABBA DABBA DOOOOOO!
zoefluf

Delma,

Don't catch and release. I, like you, didn't think I could bear to "eliminate" the sparrows I caught. But, when they kept chasing away the PMs I became so angry that I knew it my heart there was just no other way.

This is the way I do it. If you catch a sparrow in your Universal Trap, place the entire trap with the sparrow in it, in a plastic grocery bag and spray Starter Fluid in the bag and close it up tight. The sparrow becomes unconscious in seconds. Make sure you spray a lot of Starter Fluid. Leave it in the bag for at least a half hour and then check and make sure it is no longer alive. Open the trap and drop the dead sparrow back into the bag and put it in the garbage. It isn't a pleasant job but the Martins are counting on us. You must get rid of the sparrows in order to protect your Martins.

Good luck.
Jeanne
"Look at the birds in the sky. They do not sow or reap, yet your heavenly Father feeds them."
DelmaWhisenhunt

Tony, would you give more details on clipping the wings. I recall my mom used to clip wings on chickens to keep them from flying over the fence, but that was many years ago/ can't remember how the job was done.
Delma Whisenhunt
Idabel, OK
Martin Lover
Tony Lau

You just clip the primary feathers without cutting the flesh of the wing. It's just like clipping a pet birds wing. If you feel the wing before you clip you can tell where the flesh ends.
iluvbirds

Delma, here's a link to a site that shows you how to do it.

http://www.sialis.org/wingtrim.htm
....... Pat
DelmaWhisenhunt

Thanks Pat/ think I can handle this job/ now to wait for the trap to be delivered. The pictures gave such a vivid process. Once I get set up I may not get anything done, for watching the trap and wondering when I set in motion the rest of the story. Thanks again/ so helpful
Delma Whisenhunt
Idabel, OK
Martin Lover