Success and a Huge Thank You to the PMCA!!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Dawn~KS

Ahhhh, the success of finally getting martins after trying for 4 years is sweeeeeet!!

I first put up a house in 2003, totally expecting to get martins that year.................NOT! Too cruel to go another 3 years without them.......I did. But now, in 2007, I can finally say that I am a martin landlord with a *colony* of martins. :grin:

An already *paired* ASY couple came to my site on the 23rd of April. They chose the T-14 immediately and began to build a nest in 2 days. After a few days, another ASY male came and within a few days secured himself a female. And yet a third ASY male came and he found him a female. These first 3 pair are ASY.

Now, these 3 pair would have been more than enough to make me happy (I was). I expected that to be a reasonable expectation. So you can understand that I am extremely happy to tell everyone that I have at the present....................12 pairs. I am getting more as we speak!! The gourd rack is in constant noise today...................pipe down out there! :wink:

I currently have 2 nests with babies and the rest have eggs. A couple are ready for eggs. My first pair are feeding 6 babies, the second 5 babies. All other nests have 5 eggs with the exception of one that has 4. So far so good. I had a few round holes, but those have been switched to SREH as eggs were layed. Several of them chose WDC and crescents and go in and out with ease, even though there were some round left.

I want to say a BIG HUGE **THANK YOU** to the PMCA. I have almost every Update and many other books. I have read, lived and breathed martins all this time. I have read the Forum too. I am so happy to have the knowledge I do and thank the PMCA for having it available to me and others to get our hands on. Don't know what I would do without the baby photos and Prognosticator. I have been a member since 2003 and had many phone conversations with Casey (miss her) and Tara!! Thank you PMCA for putting up with me and answering all my questions......................I can finally say I HAVE MARTINS!!!

I'm in the Big Time now!!
cchild03

This is a great story, Dawn! I'm so happy that you not only established a colony but that you're on your way to having your very own super colony. ;)

Best of luck to you for the rest of the season!
Candace

WOW, Congrats, that is such a great story and gives THIS wannabe a better attitude along with some hope....Thanks for sharing, and if you run out of room send some up to Wisonsin please :-)

Karrie
Dawn~KS

Thanks, Candace and Karrie--you two keep looking up. Your time will come. Some just have to wait a bit so it is all the more nice when you do get them. My best to you and I hope it happens THIS year!! :)

Congrats! Could you post a couple of pics of your site if at all possible?
Sharon - Central TX
Martin Colony History: All Troyer Horizontal Gourds with Conley Entrances
PMCA Member since 2004

Hi Dawn,
Congratulations on such a successful first "real" year ;-). It is exciting as I've had something similar going on here. My first year was so disappointing and discouraging with a lot of visitors but not one taker. The second year was the horrible snake experience with my one pair and their babies. Last year I had three pairs and this year I would have been happy if that had maybe doubled. Six would have been a good number. But I have 20 pair! I have a real colony too (YIPEEE).
I too give credit to the PMCA and the people who have helped me along the way. I could not have done it without their help. There is so much knowledge available for anyone who wants to be a good martin landlord.
It also takes patience and perserverance. There were times I seriously thought about giving up. I am so glad I didn't.
So we can celebrate together as we are now OFFICIALLY real martin landlords!!!
Sharon
Dawn~KS

jwertz, I haven't tackled posting photos here yet. Anything in particular you would like to know? I have a T-14, AAA-16 with natural gourds with tunneled entries and a modified Trio Grandpa. I always thought my site was open enough, but when you aren't getting them you start to wonder. Well, as of today I have 13 pair so I guess it is acceptable. :grin: I am in the country with plenty of open fields and pastures. No deeps wood real close. Hope that helps.

I was just wondering its cool to be able to see other people's sites that are successful.
Dawn~KS

Right, and maybe one of these days I'll get some on here. Thanks for asking! :)
John Miller

Dawn

You hit on a key point in your success -- you learned all you could.

I really encourage folks to read, and read some more. You did and you put up a variety of housing, in a good open spot, and with patience had tremendous success.

Congratulations to you.

John Miller
Dawn~KS

Sharon, thanks for sharing your story. How nice that you have that many pairs this year. I remember reading of your snake experience. So happy that you have bounced back in a *big and wonderful* way!! It is cause for celebrating! :grin:

As of today...........I have 13 pair, another 1st egg in a nest that was ready. I have 11 babies and 49 eggs to date.

John, thanks! Since I enjoyed the reading, it was easy. I couldn't get my hands on enough. Even now, I am still learning. I am finding that there is no learning like the actual *experience*, but one really needs to read and read beforehand! I am so happy to finally be able to say I have them...................you don't know how many looks I've gotten after I have gone on and on and ppl found out I didn't have martins........oops, wasn't my idea to not have them! :grin: I was the biggest *know-it-all* wannabe around..............that didn't stop me from talking though. :grin:
Bob Buskas

Congrats Dawn.....I'm so happy for you. Your colony has only just begun. :lol: I still look forward to the PMCA update, it is so well published. I have every publication here since joining back in 1992 I believe. The internet is a wonderful tool, but it has it's draw backs too. To many people feel they can say anything when they are sitting in front of a key board and that is sad. We still need the PMCA and their wonderful updates and information.
Bob Buskas, Alberta, Canada (The Northern Sky's Colony) Supplimental feeding is the key during bad weather, but you must train them to feed ahead of time.
Dawn~KS

Thanks, Bob. You be correct! :wink: The PMCA has done tremendous work for the betterment of the Purple Martin. Just where would we be had they never organized? We should all count our blessings and never say anything that we wouldn't be willing to say face to face! There are a lot of wonderful martineers in this country and this *tradition* of hosting these birds in our backyards is one that I hope to pass on to my children and anyone willing to pay attention. Every new person should *get their wings* through the PMCA. I did and my colony is better for it. :grin: