What Now???

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

What Now???

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:04 pm

This was my first year to host martins in my yard and I think it was a success. I put up a 12 compartment house on a 15' pole and within 2 weeks I had several nesting pairs doing there thing. I ended up with 4 nest in 4 seperate compartments. Only 2 nests had eggs and eventially baby chicks. 4 in one and 3 in the other. Thay have fledged and flown away. While they wer nesting I had to kill 5 sparrows :cry: But a fellow does what a fellow has to do. Now that the raising of the babies is over how long do I keep the house up? A few martins use the house for socializing during the day but thats about it.
O by the way there is one egg left in one of the nests. Could this be an un fertilized egg that didn't hatch?
I am in Arkansas. When do the birds leave for ther trip down south???

Thanks for any response

Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Postby Laverne » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:53 pm

Well, hi there.

Welcome to the Purple Martin Conservation Association's Forum. Congratulations on assisting your Purple Martins to succeed in raising their young. If you had been around here for the past couple of months you would know that ain't always so easy to do.

We are learning that every season is unique and we never really know when the last Purple Martins will leave on their migration to South America. But, ordinarily, they are all gone by the end of September or the beginning of October. Here, in my part of Texas - the Purple Martin is normally a fleeting fly over after the 4th of July.

Yes, the one unhatched egg was probably infertile. This is not an uncommon occurrence.

You may take your housing down whenever you want to. Many landlords leave housing in place until September, in an attempt to expose it to as many PMs migrating through their area as possible.

I have the impression that you have been reading up on Purple Martins and already know the answer to your questions. Good job. During the off season - continue to read and educate yourself on this wonderful bird.

P.S. - Thank you for all your efforts in controlling the English House Sparrow and European Starling! :wink:
Sincerely,
Laverne

Steve joubert
Martin Colony History: Start date 6-15/19 starting out

Re: What Now???

Postby Steve joubert » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:47 pm

Congratulations, was that your first year trying to attract? If so that's awesome. Set up in June this year and waiting for next year, best of luck next year!

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
Home colony: 12 natural gourds, one modified house. 18 cavities in total.
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:12 am

Congrats on your success! Many, many folks wait for years, you were blessed. Look forward to next year and perhaps look to do improvements during the off season?
Ill echo Laverne, pick a historical topic here and learn what you can Lord knows there is alot of gold in the knowledge and experiences here that will assist you in the care and maintenance of your colony.
After a rough year its often a sigh of relief that its over, but that lasts about a week after the silence sets in and our birds are gone. A good year like yours is golden, enjoy it and always look to improve their conditions to have sucessful fledges and grow their poulation as best you can.
When there are eggs that remain unhatched, you can safely remove them if the others around it have hatched, or its starting to brown, but be aware no all hatch at once. This year i thought i had two unfertalised eggs...was waiting to remove them and when time lapsed and during next nest check two pink babies surprised me. often times the adults will remove them for you but it also keeps predators down and your cavities cleaner.
If they are coming aound socializing keep them up by all means. Very good sign.
Welcome and hope to hear from you!
Tom

2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs. 85 Fledged.
2019-17 pair. 81 fledged.
Offering: 12 natural gourds, w/crescents and WDC openings. 6 modified compartment house, crescents with tunnels.

flyin-lowe

Postby flyin-lowe » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:52 pm

Once you have an established colony it is ok to take the housing down once they have all fledged and are no longer coming back. When I had a younger colony I would leave my housing up for a month or so extra in case any martins migrating south would find it and maybe consider it for next year.
2019- Currently 31 complete nests (27 with eggs or babies) 94 babies hatched and 19 eggs still to hatch) 6-22-19
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”