2 eggs not hatching. What do I do?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Duffie

I have a pair of SY martins that had 5 eggs. 1st one laid on June 8th, the rest 1 each day after that. I figured hatch date on June 25 to 27th. 2 hatch on the 27th and 1 on the 28th. Last 2 have not hatched as of this morning,
June 30th. It's been 2 days since the last egg hatched. How many more days do I wait before I remove the 2 unhatched eggs? I don't want to be hasty and remove them too soon. Any advice is appreciated.Thanks.
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

Chances are they are sterile. This is not that unusual with an SY pair and will even occur with ASY pair.You don't have to do anything with the unhatched eggs. Just let them be. On your next nest replacement, you can remove them with the soiled nest materials.

Ed
Duffie

If I remember correctly, I can do a nest change after babies are 8 days old. Is that correct?
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

I begin nest regular nest replacements on day 7, again at 14 days and finally at age 20 days. But I am down to only twelve pair in twelve gourds.I have changed wet nests as early as day 2 or 3. I suggest at least two nest replacements to keep vermin controlled and wish everyone would consider it. Some agree, some don't. We all make choices.

Have a successful season and flledge as many martins as possible.

Ed