Tree Swallows

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Black Jack

Just got my first pr. of tree swallows.They have claimed one of my bluebird boxes. The box is located about 50 yds from my martin gourds.
Hope the bluebirds will let them stay. The bluebirds fledged 4 babies along side my house in a box they always use first. Then its on to the 2nd box which now the tree swallows have claimed. :grin:
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

Do you currently have an active martin colony? If active, tree swallows are not an issue. If you are still trying to establish a martin colony, tree swallows are not desirable.

Ed
Jones4381
Martin Colony History: Newbie 51 years old and stumbled onto this by accident. Amazing bird. Just wanna help and give/receive happiness and be one with nature. Don't mind shooting an intruder of any kind though. Have a blessed day.

Black Jack wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:24 pm
Just got my first pr. of tree swallows.They have claimed one of my bluebird boxes. The box is located about 50 yds from my martin gourds.
Hope the bluebirds will let them stay. The bluebirds fledged 4 babies along side my house in a box they always use first. Then its on to the 2nd box which now the tree swallows have claimed. :grin:
I have no martins yet in my first year attempt but I do have 6 or so Tree Swallows that are hanging around my pond about 100 yards away. I love the tree swallows they are amazing and beautiful in every aspect. Have a 30 x 30 barn I restored built in the 1940's overlooking the pond. Hoping for some barn swallows but have found none nesting in the barn on either floor.
51 year old HY beginner. Year 1 for me!
jhcox
Martin Colony History: Started colony in 2014. First pair to stay and raise young in 2018.

Hey jones the tree swallows are fun to watch especially when you are mowing the lawn. They will fly by and get the bugs that fly up out of the grass. As far as the barn swallows get you some wood about 6 inches deep and 8 inches long and screw then to the bottom of the barn rafters. It will give them places to start building a nest on. You can put the all through out both floors of the barn. Hope you get Martins soon. Have a great season everyone.
Jones4381
Martin Colony History: Newbie 51 years old and stumbled onto this by accident. Amazing bird. Just wanna help and give/receive happiness and be one with nature. Don't mind shooting an intruder of any kind though. Have a blessed day.

Black Jack wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:24 pm
I love tree swallows. Bluebird houses are not ideal for them as they need minimum 5x5 housing. Good thing is they are not picky and will claim almost anything. I've put up 6 in my open field about 100 feet apart and about 100 yards away from house. Good luck prettiest bird around imo.
deancamp

Come on Jones, pretties bird around? Your on a Purple Martin forum. :lol:
Black Jack

Ed Svetich-WI wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:18 am
Do you currently have an active martin colony? If active, tree swallows are not an issue. If you are still trying to establish a martin colony, tree swallows are not desirable.

Ed
Ed,
I have a active colony of martins and the Swallows have decided to stay. The male likes to hang out with the Martins and preen with them.
Jones4381

deancamp wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:17 pm
Come on Jones, pretties bird around? Your on a Purple Martin forum. :lol:
"Bird around" is the key phrase as have 3 houses up all empty tyring for the martins. I do have Tree Swallows around the barn/pond everyday so at this point I can only judge by what I'm seeing... LOL. Bird in hand better than 2 in the bush? Maybe I'll change up once I get some PM's :grin:
deancamp

Ha ha, got me. :)