Ready For The Season

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
MartinBoy14012

Last week I was out at my cottage on the south shore of lake Ontario in New York for a few days. My scouts usually arrive around 5/10, however I feel they will arrive early. While I was out there I decide to set up my Deluxe 12 Grourd rack. The gourds are S&K Bo9's with tunnels, cooling caps, and screw on access cap adapters. My wife took care of the pre-nesting and for now while we wait the rack is lowered and the entrances are closed. Looking forward to the season!
Attachments
Rack25.jpg
Rack25.jpg (117.14 KiB) Viewed 542 times
flyin-lowe

Good luck this season. Have you ever had martins before in that set up? The only reason I ask is that I started out with S&K gourds myself and tried them for many year, Big Bo's and Bo 9's. I never had any takers in them. In the beginning that is all I had on my gourd rack along side a T14. In the beginning I they only used the T14 and I started adding some TH gourds which they started using. I am gradually fazing out the S&K gourds. I hate to do it because I like the looks of the Big Bo's, they seem to me to most look like a natural gourd which is why I got them in the first place. I now offer them for TS and BB but in over 10 years of housing martins I have never had a martin use one of them. They have held up well I have just had zero success with them. I've tried them with and without out tunnels, cooling caps on the 9's etc. I know many people use them and have had success with them I just think if you are having trouble getting started you might offer at least a couple other types.
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
white-out

What a beautiful view! Good luck this season.
MartinBoy14012

flyin-lowe wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:29 am
Good luck this season. Have you ever had martins before in that set up? The only reason I ask is that I started out with S&K gourds myself and tried them for many year, Big Bo's and Bo 9's. I never had any takers in them. In the beginning that is all I had on my gourd rack along side a T14. In the beginning I they only used the T14 and I started adding some TH gourds which they started using. I am gradually fazing out the S&K gourds. I hate to do it because I like the looks of the Big Bo's, they seem to me to most look like a natural gourd which is why I got them in the first place. I now offer them for TS and BB but in over 10 years of housing martins I have never had a martin use one of them. They have held up well I have just had zero success with them. I've tried them with and without out tunnels, cooling caps on the 9's etc. I know many people use them and have had success with them I just think if you are having trouble getting started you might offer at least a couple other types.
flyin-lowe

This will be the second season with the current setup. Prior to this there was a Heath aluminum octagon house on the site when I bought the house in 2013. In the fall of 2018 I decided to get more serious and bought 6 - S&K Bo 9 gourds, tunnels, cooling caps, and a plastic hub rack to mount on the existing Heath pole. Then the plan snowballed and I ended up buying a Troyer Deluxe 12 gourd rack. After winter was over in late May of 2019 I was able to install the ground stake and set up my rack using the previously purchased 6 - Bo 9's. As late as I was for our northern latitude I did have a pair and 3 babies fledged. There are plenty of martins along the lake although most homeowners offer simple S&K barn style houses. I had plenty of apartment hunters before the martins started their fall migration so I'm hoping for a good season.

Regarding success with the Bo9's, I'm going to go another season with the 6- Bo 9's and once I have a season with a full house , I will start buying Troyer gourds. I wish I would have started out with Troyer's but at the time Tractor Supply had a 6 pack of Bo9's on sale.
Attachments
Babies25.jpg
Babies25.jpg (157.33 KiB) Viewed 457 times
MartinBoy14012

Update: even with the cold rainy weather we had, it’s going well here on the southern shore of Lake Ontario. The weather is great and I have 5 gourds with paired off birds, arranging their nest getting ready to lay eggs. The Martins seem plentiful around here as the 4 nearby cottages all have Martins in their housing. Pleasant surprise in spite of the previous bad weather.
jhcox
Martin Colony History: Started colony in 2014. First pair to stay and raise young in 2018.

Hi folks I have a mix of 12 Bo9s and 12 supergourds the really big ones. But I also started with the Bo9s and the Martins seem to like them Pretty well. I added 12 TH and the are starting to use them but the the Bo9s seem to be the first to fill up each year. And for the price a really nice Durable gourd only downfall is the access cap. I also have a S and K barn modified to six compartments and not a single taker from the first year I started using it to now. But free beginning Martin landlord The Bo9s are great for the price. No sense in wasting a lot of money for the really expensive gourds at least not until you can determine whether you even have Martin’s in your area or not that’s my two cents. Have a great season everyone
MartinBoy14012

Jhcox,
The S&K screw on access adapters @ $2.00 each does a great job of solving the issues with the snap on covers. Otherwise, the bo9 price starts to add up when you customize them with cooling caps, tunnels, and access port adapters. This adds $7.00 to each gourd in addition to the cost of the gourd. I bought a 6 pack of Royal Wing / S&K bo9’s at Tractor Supply on sale for $34.99 so by the time I was done it was close to a $100.00 investment. They look cool, kind of space age, and most importantly the Martins like them. I have never seen a Troyer gourd in person but plan to add 6 of them for next season to complete my rack to capacity.
Black Jack

flyin-lowe wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:29 am
I never had any success using the Bo 9 either. Used for 2 seasons . No takers. Grew my own gourds for this year and have been run over with Martins. They would look into the 9;s like some kind of peep show was going on. Should have charged a 25 cent. :grin:
MartinBoy14012

2020eggs25.jpg
2020eggs25.jpg (108 KiB) Viewed 185 times
I did a nest check a few days ago and have 2 nests this season. One with 4 eggs, the other with 3 eggs. I was hoping for more after all the crazy activity while the martins were pairing up. Looking forward to the eggs hatching!
On another topic, a neighbor had 6 bo9's he painted yellow for some strange reason and replaced them with an S&K barn house. He offered them to for me so I took them. I went at it with a pressure watcher and was able to remove all the peeling paint. I ordered tunnels, cooling caps and screw on access cap adapters to finish them off. not sure what I will do with them, I'll do something next season.

attachment=0]2020eggs30jpg.jpg[/attachment]