Nest building

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Brad Biddle

Nest building

Postby Brad Biddle » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:46 pm

Witnessed my first nesting materials being gathered this afternoon. The group isn't in a wide open nest building yet. I saw one pair make one trip each to the ground for nesting material. The male grabbed a piece of dead bermuda grass from my yard, then flew out over the pasture in a wide loop before coming back to the gourd. I watched him return to the rack with the stem to make sure he didn't just drop it over the field. In my 17 years of being a landlord I don't think that I could say that I've ever witnessed the first pair, gather the first materials, but I think that's what I saw this afternoon. With the temps we're having the next few days, I'd imagine others join in soon.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 102 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.

randy741985
Martin Colony History: 2018-First Year 0 Martins
2019- Lots Lookers
2020- TBD

Re: Nest building

Postby randy741985 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:16 pm

Brad can you send me a message when you see your first sub adult? So I will know when to open up my gourds. I have been seeing Martin's flying by this week. I opened up one gourd late this afternoon. But I have alot of hawk's that hang around here. I seen a coopers hawk flying around with redtail flying above him, I am hoping the redtail takes out the coopers.

Thanks
2018-14 Gourds First Year 0 Martins
2019- 14 Gourds Lots Lookers
2020- 6 Gourds TBD

flyin-lowe

Postby flyin-lowe » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:14 pm

If you are seeing martins in the area and don't have issues with competitors I would not wait for the SY's to open your housing. A majority of colonies probably start with SY's but plenty of people start with ASY's. If other landlords had predator issues last year, or their housing is falling down, tree encroachment, or any other reason you could have ASY's looking for a new home. When I moved from my old house to this house I had a colony of thirty pair and the next year there was no housing there when they came back as the new owner didn't want any up. There were a lot of adult martins looking for housing the next year. If you open housing now and tree swallows or blue birds try to move in then I would shut them out, if not open them up.
2020 (HOSP Count 2)
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:34 pm

Randy I have so many here that it's hard for me to tell. It's normally somewhere around the 2nd week of April when they start coming in.

I'd go ahead and open the gourds if you can control the competition from BB and TRES.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 102 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.

trnnflt

Postby trnnflt » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:11 am

I'm new to this and need advice on how to deal with a bluebird. This year I replaced my dad's old gourds with 24 new ones. The first Martin arrived on 3/18. I've had one pesky bluebird which I saw chase off this first arriving Martin. I'm not there full time and just get reports from my 86 year old mother. She tells me she is seeing 4 or so Martins in the morning the last three days (we did not see Martins from 3/18 until 3/25), but not during the later parts of the last three days. When I go back there in a few days what should I do if anything if the blue bird is still there? With that many gourds, would the bluebird not just take one, the Martins the rest? Or will one bluebird drive off all the Martins?

randy741985
Martin Colony History: 2018-First Year 0 Martins
2019- Lots Lookers
2020- TBD

Postby randy741985 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:52 am

Thanks Brad,

The tree swallows move in as quickly as I open gourds up.I have a gourd on a shepards hook about 30feet away a pair raised a brood in last year. But I had a pair of tree swallows here just this morning checking out the one gourd I opened yesterday evening.

Maybe I get a pair in the shepards hook within the next few weeks. Before the subs arrive.
2018-14 Gourds First Year 0 Martins
2019- 14 Gourds Lots Lookers
2020- 6 Gourds TBD

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:36 pm

I'm new to this and need advice on how to deal with a bluebird. This year I replaced my dad's old gourds with 24 new ones. The first Martin arrived on 3/18. I've had one pesky bluebird which I saw chase off this first arriving Martin. I'm not there full time and just get reports from my 86 year old mother. She tells me she is seeing 4 or so Martins in the morning the last three days (we did not see Martins from 3/18 until 3/25), but not during the later parts of the last three days. When I go back there in a few days what should I do if anything if the blue bird is still there? With that many gourds, would the bluebird not just take one, the Martins the rest? Or will one bluebird drive off all the Martins?
If it's an existing colony, not a new start up, the Martins will take care of the Bluebird problem.

trnnflt

Postby trnnflt » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:32 pm

If it's an existing colony, not a new start up, the Martins will take care of the Bluebird problem.
Thank you.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”