Wet BO9 Gourds

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Mudflap
Martin Colony History: 2011: Set up 16 room S&K house.
2012: nothing.
2013: lookers but no takers.
2014: lookers but no takers.
2015: 3 pair nested, 7 fledged.
2016: second year: S&K house is now an 8 room house and added a separate pole with eight Troyer Vertical Gourds. 13 pair nested, 50 fledged.
2017: third year: S&K house is now a 6 room house (blocked attic access). Same Troyer gourds.

Wet BO9 Gourds

Postby Mudflap » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:03 am

We have a small, established colony and recently bought some S&K BO9 gourds. Tunnels have been ordered but they've not arrived yet. I blocked the entries of these gourds and put them up because there was rain in the forecast and I figgered that would be a good time to see if the nest area stays dry. Turns out they don't. When I tip the gourd water runs out the bottom holes. Is leakage a common problem with these? There are small gaps because the gourds hang on a round rod that fit through a square hole, so is that part of the problem? Will most of the leaking issue correct itself after the tunnels are put on? I see photos online of these gourds being used without a tunnel, so it looks like they're popular housing. Thanks in advance for your response.

jhcox
Martin Colony History: Started colony in 2014. First pair to stay and raise young in 2018.

Re: Wet BO9 Gourds

Postby jhcox » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:37 am

I have several of the bone and they will leak if you don’t put the entrance covers on while you’re waiting for your Martin’s it will help a lot when you get your tunnels. And as for the holes at the top where the gourds hanging from You can put a little silicone around the rod that goes through it where it meets the gourd and that should help. God bless and have a great season.

TNMartins

Postby TNMartins » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:51 am

I used silicone between the tunnel and the gourd when assembling. Seems to keep the water out as I haven't noticed nest material getting wet.
12 S&K B09 Gourds w/ 2 S&K barns converted to 6 cavities each

2016 - 0 visits
2017 - Few visitors late summer
2018 - 1 Pair, 5 Fledged
2019 - Visitors
2020 -

Whippy
Martin Colony History: 2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - ?

Postby Whippy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:28 pm

Mudflap,

I have the BO 11 gourds which are essentially the same as the Bo 9 -- just a little larger. I noticed that water will drip through the squares at the top where they are mounted. Water is quite the clinger and will hold onto a surface until it is met with an end where it will drip off. So it trickles down on the mounting hardware though the squares and into the gourd.

Water will also get blown into the entrance as mentioned before but I wanted to make sure you didn't over look the main culprit which is the mounting hardware and the squares. Find a way to wick the water off the hardware prior to the square holes.

If venting is not an issue for you go ahead and seal the mounts with silicon. If venting is an issue put vent tubes on the access lid.

Here is a photo of how I mounted the BO11. You can see on either side of the squares there are low points that the water will gravitate towards and then drip off. Also. The mount bolt is a pretty tight fit in the squares so water doesn't blow by real easily if at all. I also shaved off the plastic vane off the top of the squares mostly to make my hardware fit but also to prevent the wicking of water to the squares.

Coolwhips.
Attachments
bo11mountcloseup.jpg
bo11mountcloseup.jpg (64.32 KiB) Viewed 408 times

MartinBoy14012

Postby MartinBoy14012 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:02 pm

I use Bo 9's with tunnels (top edge silicone when assembled) and cooling caps. My gourds stay dry and I feel the cooling caps help prevent water from getting in through the square hanging holes.
Attachments
cc-on-Bo9.jpg
(85.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by MartinBoy14012 on Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mudflap
2016: second year: S&K house is now an 8 room house and added a separate pole with eight Troyer Vertical Gourds. 13 pair nested, 50 fledged.
2017: third year: S&K house is now a 6 room house (blocked attic access). Same Troyer gourds.

Postby Mudflap » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:59 pm

Thanks, everyone! I'll revisit the mounts after the rain stops. I have vents coming with the tunnels. I'll also silicone the tunnels when they get here. Looks like the spinning vents will be good enough, but I might put a PVC 90 on each gourd and just keep it plugged unless I need it later in the season.

I feel better about these gourds after reading y'alls responses. I usually find answers in here without asking questions but I know if I can't find anything the members don't hesitate to respond and help.

Thanks again!

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:28 pm

I personally have found that the cooling caps (that cost very little and improves ventilation) along with the clinger tunnels allow for nice dry nests. Keith

Mudflap

Postby Mudflap » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:00 am

I personally have found that the cooling caps (that cost very little and improves ventilation) along with the clinger tunnels allow for nice dry nests. Keith
Thanks, Keith. I'm happy to hear that. I've ordered the vent caps that spin but am still waiting for them. Got a message this morning that my stuff will be shipped within three business days.

Also, when I remover the snap-on access ports I tend to tip the gourds a lot so am also thinking I should have gotten the adapter for the screw-on lids, but maybe I'll get used to this system and won't need them.

MartinBoy14012

Postby MartinBoy14012 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:24 pm

Thanks, Keith. I'm happy to hear that. I've ordered the vent caps that spin but am still waiting for them. Got a message this morning that my stuff will be shipped within three business days.

Also, when I remover the snap-on access ports I tend to tip the gourds a lot so am also thinking I should have gotten the adapter for the screw-on lids, but maybe I'll get used to this system and won't need them.
I just finished installing the adapters converting to screw covers on my 6 bo 9’s. Nice improvement over the snap on access covers, well worth $2.00 each.

TheSmiths
Martin Colony History:

Tried to attract PMs since 2004; began a more ernest attempt in 2014.

2018 — 3 pairs: 1 ASY pair & 1 SY pair in the Trio; 1 SY pair in a supergourd on the gourd multi-rack.

2019 — 6 pairs

Current housing consists of two modified Trio M12Ks at 20' and a round gourd rack at 20'.

We also provide housing utilized by bluebirds, Carolina wrens, house wrens, Carolina chickadees, and tufted titmice. We have housing for great-crested flycatchers and northern flickers but usually have to close them due to starlings.

Postby TheSmiths » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:06 am

We have a few Bo9s with tunnels and cooling caps and they are always wet inside after it rains. I don't know if the rain is running down the hanging arm and in through the cooling cap holes or if it sheets in through the entrance. One faces north and the other south yet they both get equally wet.

It's strange, some people never have any problems with them.

TerryW

Postby TerryW » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:53 pm

I don't have the Bo gourds, but all gourds get water in them when you get a blowing rainstorm. Course you should try to minimize it. Have hung many a gourd with insulated electrical wire through oversize or sloppy holes and never lost a baby martin that I could tell to a rainstorm. I imagine the mom or pop martin are in there busily shielding them with wing feathers when the babies are very small, but don't really know for sure, just know it was never a problem.

Also, if you preload your cavities with pine straw, even if you are not in pine tree country, that bottom layer probably will stay pine straw. Course the martin will finish it off with whatever from your area, but the base of pine needles will stay pretty dry, since the needles don't take on moisture as readily as other nest making stuff. Know this is off subject, but probably should be said occasionally.

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:21 pm

I was actually referring to the bo11 and not the bo9 when I always experienced dry nests.the bo11 plus gourd has an inner liner and there is actually an air space between the nest and bottom. This combined with the ultimate Clinger tunnel and the cooling cap really allow for a lot of venting. When using the cooling cap any water that inters the square holes would run down on the outside of the neck. I will try to add picture.
Keith

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”