Best birdseed combination?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
susanw77

Best birdseed combination?

Postby susanw77 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:44 pm

Being new Martin landlords, what a do we put in our regular bird feeders to bring only the birds who won’t torment the martins? I know Nyjer and safflower are disliked by by the starlings and sparrows. Before we moved up from central NC, we had no luck with safflower. In this new house, it may be different. I know corn and sunflower are OUT, right? What else might the other birds like? TIA.

So far as feeding the martins, I’m saving eggshells and have stocked up a few mealworms. I expect we will have plenty of skeeters to oblige them, but just in case . . .

Black Jack

Re: Best birdseed combination?

Postby Black Jack » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:57 pm

Black oil sunflowers, peanuts, safflowers. Always brings cardinal, woodpeckers, finches, towhees, chickadees. tufted titmice.
Don not care for the finches. Can buy 3D green bag which this mix comes in.

Bird Brain

Postby Bird Brain » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:15 pm

I personally dislike all bird seed . Half of it gets spilled on the ground and then becomes rat feed. Shine a flashlight out there after dark and you’ll see. Once the rats discover the endless amount of spilled seed, they will return every night to consume it and use that energy to reproduce more rats and mice. There is no seed rats and mice dislike. More squirrels will also result. Native species don’t need your assistance anyway. A bird bath is a better alternative. A large concrete bird bath near a popular window will offer far superior bird viewing opportunities than a bird feeder. Put in under shade if possible. I use a large tea strainer to clean mine and only change out the water once or twice a week. I have yet to see mosquito larvae in mine because I keep it maintained. You can pick one up for around $250.
Every time I kill a house sparrow, I make the world a better place.

Sharon - Central TX

Postby Sharon - Central TX » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:47 pm

We’ve only ever fed safflower and nyger seed. For Sixteen years never had any house sparrows at our feeders. For some reason that all changed this winter. We’ve been seeing HS at the safflower feeder and in our bushes. If this continues we’ll be taking our feeders down. We have three birdbaths and get bluebirds as well as a lot of other nice songbirds visiting. I know the bluebirds will continue to come since they don’t eat birdseed but I’d hate to lose all the other birds like cardinals, chickadees, tufted titmouse, goldfinches, etc.
I recently read that HS like black oily sunflower seeds but not the striped because it’s too hard to crack open. Don’t know if that’s a fact though.

tor
Martin Colony History: Capacity: 72 Troyers on 3 X Super-24 racks

Postby tor » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:49 pm

We use safflower seeds. The crackles and cowbirds don't like it :grin: .

2020: Capacity: 72 - First Scouts: 2/11
2019: Capacity: 72 - First Scouts: 2/22 - 70 pair - 315 fledged
2018: Capacity: 70 - First Scouts: 2/18 - 60 pair - 270 fledged
2017: Capacity: 42 - First Scouts: 2/25 - 39 pair
2016: Capacity: 42 - First Scouts: 3/10 - 32 pair
2015: First Scouts: 3/23 - 4 pair

Purple Martins Of South Carolina
Torlo.com - Live Life Like There is No Tomorrow

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”