I haven't forgotten how to grow gourds

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Brad Biddle

I haven't forgotten how to grow gourds

Postby Brad Biddle » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:05 pm

I haven't grown or used any natural gourds in likely close to a decade. I decided this year I'd grow some and put up at least one new rack of natural gourds next year. It was late when I planted them and getting dry, so I planted more than I normally would in case I only made a few. Well, I'd say I definitely made a few. :grin: In case anyone local is interested, I'll be selling most of these for $3 each. These are very good gourds have a very hard shell.

BTW, this is less than half the gourds I grew in my little one acre patch that I planted. For size reference that's a 5'x14' trailer. Every gourd on the trailer is 9"-12" in diameter.

Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 102 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
Home colony: 12 natural gourds, one modified house. 18 cavities in total.
PMCA member

Re: I haven't forgotten how to grow gourds

Postby C.C.Martins » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:27 pm

Nope you didnt forget! I really like the natural gourds, something about them. Looks like you have been busy.
Hope they end up as martin homes.
Tom
Tom

2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs. 85 Fledged.
2019-17 pair. 81 fledged.
Offering: 12 natural gourds, w/crescents and WDC openings. 6 modified compartment house, crescents with tunnels.

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:35 pm

If I could get paint to stay on them better, I'd use more of them. Maybe someone will reply with their tried and true paint recipe. I've tried it all.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 102 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.

Ryan
Martin Colony History: Visitors are rare. Two SY males seen in 9 years.

Postby Ryan » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:21 pm

Brad I was thinking of you the other day when I was cleaning up my garden supplies. Are these the seeds that you grew from that old seed stock you were trying to keep advancing?

Two questions. Did you keep growing the same seeds each year from when you first started? How many years did the genetics/seeds continue being planted? I know you haven't grown in many years but was curious the lineage to your gourds.

Third question! Can I get some seeds from you? I have some good soil open and would love to get a dozen or two grown this season. Can I email you somehow for address? I'll send a self addressed bubble envelope if you'd have some seed.
Home site: 12 cedar chalets - Plus two satellite sites which are also empty.
2010- 1 SY male on and off for a couple weeks
2011- 0 visits
2012- 0 visits
2013- 0 visits
2014- 1 SY male stopped in here and there for two weeks.
2015- 0 visits
2016- 0 visits
2017- 0 visits
2018- 0 visits
2019- Break-through year. Had a SY Male stop in on June 7th and stay all day, every day until end of June. Hoping he returns in 2020 because I'm getting sick of updating this list.

Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at my Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".

Postby Dave Reynolds » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:38 am

.... Brad ,,,, Great job on the gourds... No you have not forgotten how to grow gourds... :grin: :grin:

Dave
Home Site
2020 -- They are on the way.
2019 -- First pair, 5 eggs, 5 hatched, 5 fledged :wink:
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2020 -- They are on the way.
2019 -- 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Hatched and 97 Fledged :wink:
2018 -- 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:

PMCA Member

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:05 pm

Ryan the gourds in the picture are not from my old strain of gourds but I did grow some gourds from my old seeds in a different spot on our farm. I’ll be glad to send you some seeds from them. Both varieties are very similar but I still prefer the ones from my old stock. They are more uniform in shape and the neck is a little shorter. My old gourds have a white skin on them and the ones in the picture have a green skin with lighter spots. I’m not sure what difference the skin color indicates as far as origins are concerned. I ended up having 3 plants from my old seed make it after transplanting. Ended up with 26 good 11-12” gourds from those.

Send me your address: yard1man@charter.net

Thanks Dave!

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:18 pm

Ryan to answer your 2nd question....

I started with good seed. That helped a bunch. The only downside to the gourds were odd length necks and some of them got way too big. As in 15”-16” diameter.

I marked the first 2 dozen or so gourds that set each year and kept those separate. From those I would pick the ones with the shape that I wanted, then pick from those the single gourd with the thickest, hardest shell. That’s the one gourd that I kept my replacement seed from. It took probably 5 years to get them to where they are now. I planted them for 5-6 years after I got them to the point that I wanted them.

The 26 gourds that I’ve kept from my good seed this year are so similar in shape and size that they’d nearly pass for plastic gourds.

Another part of the process is killing off all volunteer gourd plants that come up the next year. Those are always from inferior, thin shelled gourds that don’t make it out of the patch.

Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2019, 54 pair with 218 fledged youngsters. 83 total compartments available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Postby Dave Duit » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:46 am

I wish I would see more landlords using natural gourds. The natural cavity has a great feel and I think the martins love a deep gourd like these gourds. Great job and keep up the green thumb.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:31 pm

Thanks Dave. I'd use more if they lasted longer. I didn't see an tangible advantage to using them over large plastics. They probably do have less radiant heat through the walls than a plastic gourd does. I just wish the small 6" plastic gourds that I see in most all feed stores weren't sold.

Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2019, 54 pair with 218 fledged youngsters. 83 total compartments available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Postby Dave Duit » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:23 am

Hi Brad,
Here are the answers on painting gourds.
You can either visit this url: http://www.chuckspurplemartinpage.com/painting.htm
or visit my website and click on chuckspurplemartinpage in my links section of my website: www.iamartin.org
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.

Chris B

Postby Chris B » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:41 pm

Those look pretty good Brad, very similar to the gourds I have. Genetics of the seeds are everything. The guy who developed the seeds I run spent 30 years in selection. I think gourd size is dependent on ferts and early germination

Here is how I get paint to stick. Step one is curing the gourds in a dry spot, seeds still inside, I like to leave 6-8" of stem for handling and curing which takes a good while - for me until the seeds and paper sound loose inside when shook. I scrape then wash the gourd skin with ajax and a coarse scrub pad and lotsa water. There is a nice smooth outer shell under there. A knife is a good way to scrape - but do it with water. Anything that will scrape off will flake off later.

After they are dry, you empty and build up as usual. I have been painting mine with all in one white outdoor, two coats.

And pass on the seeds.
2014 8 gourds, 3 pairs nested. Ended w/ 24 total
2015 24 gourds, 22 nests. Lotsa birds!
2016 24 gourds and good activity.
2017 32 SREH gourds. Great activity.
2018 40 SREH gourds. Good finish despite big storm damage. No more dangling gourds.
2019 56+ SREH gourds, all on 3/8 rods.

Chris B

Postby Chris B » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:51 pm

I meant in the previous post - and pass those seeds on. I have sent out seeds to anyone who has requested them with a SASE. Those gourds look very similar... with some of course that you would not keep seeds on.

Could you please post up a pic of examples on each strain of good shapes?
2018 40 SREH gourds. Good finish despite big storm damage. No more dangling gourds.

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:56 pm

I disagree on fertility playing a positive role on gourd size. We don't row crop farm, but do raise cattle and hay so I'm pretty well versed in soil science. When an excess of Nitrogen is present in the soil gourds produce lots and lots of fruit and vines. I grew 3 gourd plants around a leaf compost bin one year and those 3 plants produced 127 gourds that cured with hard shells. That doesn't count the ones that grew but grew to late for the shell to mature. Not a single one of the gourds that I grew were as large as the gourd that I saved the seed from. It was a nice 10" gourd and the largest ones I grew were 6" gourds. Lots and lots of 6" gourds. The only nutrient that I've seen have a positive impact on gourds is Potassium. Adding lots of Potassium around the plants will produce a better quality shell. I had an old farmer tell me when he was a kid they use to grow their gourds where they'd cleared land and burned brush. Hardwood ashes are "Potash" which is Potassium. I tried putting out K to see if that was why his gourds were good way back when, and I believe that it was.

Ryan, I can't log in to that old email address. I haven't tried in a long while and can't log in and can't seem to reset it. If you'll post your email, I'll send you my address for you to send a SASE to. Same goes to anyone else. I'll have 1000's of seeds out of my old stock of gourds. The only other email address I have is my work email and I don't want to post it on a public forum.

Ryan

Postby Ryan » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:25 pm

Take the space out
Last edited by Ryan on Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011- 0 visits
2012- 0 visits
2013- 0 visits
2015- 0 visits
2016- 0 visits
2017- 0 visits
2018- 0 visits
2019- Break-through year. Had a SY Male stop in on June 7th and stay all day, every day until end of June. Hoping he returns in 2020 because I'm getting sick of updating this list.

Chris B

Postby Chris B » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:00 pm

The backhoe bucket of chicken poop I put in my garden and the resulting gourds disagree, but still those are nice looking gourds you have. Just like the natural ones I put up, and the birds love them. My 60 gourds are lot of work... you have your hands full.

Ryan

Postby Ryan » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:21 pm

Can you go too big with the gourds? What's a perfect diameter to shoot for? I know theres not much control on fruit growth sizing, but just curious what's too big for a nesting gourd?
2011- 0 visits
2012- 0 visits
2013- 0 visits
2015- 0 visits
2016- 0 visits
2017- 0 visits
2018- 0 visits

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:26 pm

Can you go too big with the gourds? What's a perfect diameter to shoot for? I know theres not much control on fruit growth sizing, but just curious what's too big for a nesting gourd?
I’ve used 15-16” gourds before. They were used but seemed to always be SY pairs. I don’t think there’s a real downside other than them catching a whole lot of wind.

The gourd patch that these were grown in had 2 tons of chicken litter applied 4 months prior to planting so much of the nitrogen would leech out. Also had potassium added as the plants grew. Heck what do I know? I’m only a farmer.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”