Video Of Savage Battle Between Northern Flicker And European Starling Inside A Bird House

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Steve Kroenke

Video Of Savage Battle Between Northern Flicker And European Starling Inside A Bird House

Postby Steve Kroenke » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:58 am

Northern flickers suffer heavy nest competition from European starlings. Though a flicker is larger, heavier and has a more powerful beak, the flicker usually loses in battles, particularly INSIDE the cavity with starlings. Starlings are more aggressive and will literally fight to the death over a cavity. Plus starlings have been successfully competing with European woodpeckers for thousands of years BEFORE the starlings were introduced in North America. So the starling was ready for our woodpeckers while our woodpeckers were not for the starling.

Here is a link to a savage battle between a flicker and a starling inside a birdhouse. Notice how the starling quickly "neutralizes" the flicker's powerful beak by grabbing it with his strong feet. This starling "knew" exactly what to do! I don't know how flickers ever even nest successfully in starling infested areas during their normal nesting period. Some flickers will delay nesting until later when starlings are no longer looking for cavities. But these nesting attempts may not be as productive as during the normal period.

Our North American woodpeckers, particularly the Northern flicker, and red-headed and red-bellied woodpeckers are under full assault during the active nesting period by starlings. When you eliminate starlings through shooting/trapping, you are not only helping purple martins but woodpeckers and other native cavity birds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1WGKzl ... JELpDJND5s
PMCA Member
300+ pairs of martins each season

Andrew Smith
Martin Colony History: 2019 - Hundreds of fly-bys August and September. Half a dozen birds landed on house.

Re: Video Of Savage Battle Between Northern Flicker And European Starling Inside A Bird House

Postby Andrew Smith » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:21 pm

That's a crazy video. Makes me dislike European Starlings even more! I will continue to do my best to get rid of this bird, I had no idea how aggressive they were.

Black Jack

Re: Video Of Savage Battle Between Northern Flicker And European Starling Inside A Bird House

Postby Black Jack » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:31 pm

Northern flickers suffer heavy nest competition from European starlings. Though a flicker is larger, heavier and has a more powerful beak, the flicker usually loses in battles, particularly INSIDE the cavity with starlings. Starlings are more aggressive and will literally fight to the death over a cavity. Plus starlings have been successfully competing with European woodpeckers for thousands of years BEFORE the starlings were introduced in North America. So the starling was ready for our woodpeckers while our woodpeckers were not for the starling.

Here is a link to a savage battle between a flicker and a starling inside a birdhouse. Notice how the starling quickly "neutralizes" the flicker's powerful beak by grabbing it with his strong feet. This starling "knew" exactly what to do! I don't know how flickers ever even nest successfully in starling infested areas during their normal nesting period. Some flickers will delay nesting until later when starlings are no longer looking for cavities. But these nesting attempts may not be as productive as during the normal period.

Our North American woodpeckers, particularly the Northern flicker, and red-headed and red-bellied woodpeckers are under full assault during the active nesting period by starlings. When you eliminate starlings through shooting/trapping, you are not only helping purple martins but woodpeckers and other native cavity birds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1WGKzl ... JELpDJND5s
I shoot every starling i see. :mrgreen:

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
Home colony: 12 natural gourds, one modified house. 18 cavities in total.
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:03 pm

If theres any doubt they are dangerous, heres proof.
No wonder they are so sucessful. Shame. I shoot too.
Tom

2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs. 85 Fledged.
2019-17 pair. 81 fledged.
Offering: 12 natural gourds, w/crescents and WDC openings. 6 modified compartment house, crescents with tunnels.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”