Texas Hummingbird migration

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
G Saner
Martin Colony History: Fort Worth, TX (1967-1976), The Colony, TX (1981-1985), Carrollton, TX (1986-2013), Kerrville, TX (2015-present).

Two SuperGourd poles (12 gourds on each) at River Point Assisted Living Center.

Texas Hummingbird migration

Postby G Saner » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:18 pm

Hey rrmartins and C.C.Martins,

Our hummingbird numbers are starting to increase here in the Hill Country. One feeder is enough during the season but I put out four during the migration. Each one is about 8 feet apart so they all get a chance to drink.

We always have a dominate male that guards "his" feeder. We nickname him "Attilla the Humm".
G Saner

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
Home colony: 12 natural gourds, one modified house. 18 cavities in total.
PMCA member

Re: Texas Hummingbird migration

Postby C.C.Martins » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:29 pm

That was thoughtful of you for your post! Thank you!!! So they are on the way. Thats good news, figured they were not in a rush. One more showed up yesterday (black chinned) so 4 actively defending their spots, lots of energy expended cuz iv 4 feeders out.

Been very dry here and the honey bees are swarming, compromised and gave them a leaky feeder off and away from the others...seems to have worked till the blackchinned claimed it.

Love the name Attilla the Humm funny.

Fun fun,
Again thank you!
Tom
Tom

2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs. 85 Fledged.
2019-17 pair. 81 fledged.
Offering: 12 natural gourds, w/crescents and WDC openings. 6 modified compartment house, crescents with tunnels.

gotham
Martin Colony History: Wife's family martin house shore Lake Ontario since 1967. New martin house 2019 (Lonestar Alamo aluminum 14 compartment with perching rods and nest trays).

Postby gotham » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:41 am

So, that's where "our" hummingbirds have gone :)

Gotham

Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

Postby Ed Svetich-WI » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:46 am

Just watching several fight at our feeders. Fewer here but still protecting the feeders. I place them on opposite sides of the house to keep males from dominating as much as possible. Ours are Ruby Throated.. Orioles still feeding at the grape jelly. They will be gone shortly before the hummingbirds leave in about 10 days or so.

Ed

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:06 am

I’m ready, bring them on!!
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

gotham
Martin Colony History: Wife's family martin house shore Lake Ontario since 1967. New martin house 2019 (Lonestar Alamo aluminum 14 compartment with perching rods and nest trays).

Postby gotham » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:10 pm

So that's where "our" orioles, that were still here last week, have disappeared to :)

Gotham

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:59 pm

Yep. Hogging birds. Should be ashamed. Down to one, north winds were blowing for a few days, i think they took advantage of it and left. 4 feeders, bees are happy. Lone hummer is too.
Tom

2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA, made adjustments and next year was sucessful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 Fledged
Offering: 12 natural gourds, w/crescents and WDC openings. 6 modified compartment house, crescents with tunnels.

G Saner
Martin Colony History: Fort Worth, TX (1967-1976), The Colony, TX (1981-1985), Carrollton, TX (1986-2013), Kerrville, TX (2015-present).

Postby G Saner » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:54 am

Last Sunday when I first posted, I thought we had 4-6 hummingbirds. This morning, I would guess we have 6-8.

This is the 6th migration we have lived here for. Each one is different. One year, we had 20-30 hummingbirds but the season was very brief. Another year, we hardly had any. Last year, we did not have large numbers but the migration lasted into late September.
G Saner

G Saner

Postby G Saner » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:43 am

Our numbers continue to increase slightly but we are not seeing the dozens at a time we have seen some years. We have more males than before and they are favoring different feeders than last week. Even with lower numbers, they are highly entertaining.
G Saner

Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

Postby Ed Svetich-WI » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:13 pm

Still have 4 hummingbirds squabbling over feeders here in Central Wisconsin today. Weather supposed to be warm for the next week. We will see if they hang around.Days are getting shorter. Daylight effects on their pituitary glands can have an effect on migration that overrides temperatures. We will see.

C.C.Martins
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:55 pm

Thanks ed, had a ruby throat show up yesterday bossing everyone around. We put a feeder in the front he cannot see. Interesting information! Didnt know that, would have thought it was weather.
Looking forward to the hummingbird festival in Rockport this weekend.
Tom
Tom

2017- 5 pair. 15 Fledged

Ed Svetich-WI

Postby Ed Svetich-WI » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:55 pm

It is complicated. As days shorten, some birds will be stimulated to molt after the breeding season is completed and before migration. The decreasing photoperiod affects the pituitary gland, which is also known as the master gland, which releases various hormones. In the spring, increasing daylight stimulates the gonads and ovaries to prepare for breeding. The impact of increasing daylight vs decreasing daylight can have different physical results.

Decreasing daylight also slowly decreases the birds food sources, whether insects or in the case of hummingbirds nectar (and insects, which hummingbirds also eat). A severe weather event, cold for example, will cause a surge in a southward migration but otherwise, daylight is the trigger that sets the stage for many.

There are always a few outliers that get their wires crossed and stay too long. Several years ago, there was a hummingbird that spent the winter near my brother's house in Kentucky. As I remember, they heated the feeders to prevent the water from freezing and the bird survived sub freezing weather throughout the winter.

C.C.Martins
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:50 pm

Thanks Ed. Interesting! I saw one snatching tiny flies near a large tree, he was acting strange and flying up and down in spurts on the leeward side of it. Only through binocs could i see what he was up to. I understand some have been over wintering in north america...Louise Chambers had one or to stay all winter here in Corpus. Ill be watchful for that. Very nice story and glad your brother helped.
Tom

2017- 5 pair. 15 Fledged

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”