New landlord

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
~Ray~Gingerich

Re: New landlord

Postby ~Ray~Gingerich » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:54 am

Steve, welcome to the forum
It's good that you are hanging some gourds. You mentioned that there are a lot starlings and sparrows which I think will be your #1 problem to attracting martins, trap shoot and kill year around and you should see a reduction. Removing habitat such as shrubs and hedges the sparrows love to hang out in helps and starling resistant entrance holes will for the most part keep starlings out of the nests. If you can open up an area that would allow martins to see a distant horizon and morning sun. Some trees are okay but I prefer a 100 ft distance.
Ray Gingerich , Dover De.
~Ray~ Gingerich
1999 1pair, 2006 2 pair, 2008 2 pair,
2009 23 pair, 2010 39 pair, 2011 67 pair,
2012 115 pair, 2013 160 pair,
2014 152 pair, 2015 174 pair, 2016 178 pair
2017 187 pair, 2018 200 pair

Steve joubert
Martin Colony History: Start date 6-15/19 starting out

Postby Steve joubert » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:52 pm

Clearing trees line to let morning sun come through. Is 4’ enough?

ImageImage

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:44 am

How tall is your pole, looks very low with the surrounding trees?
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

Steve joubert

Postby Steve joubert » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:30 pm

Pole is 12 ft and hanging gourds 8ft.

Steve joubert

Postby Steve joubert » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:38 pm

Only have one side of tree line and all opposite sides are open. Fly areas open two areas around house . Cannot reach gourds unless climbing on ladder :roll:

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:11 pm

I think it’s to low for starting a new colony with so many trees close by. Bring it in closer to your house, if it’s more open, and invest in a longer pole that a winch can be mounted too.
Good luck!!!

Another problem I see is no predator guard. I’ve had martins for ten years now. In that time I’ve never had anything get up my pole with bird netting on it, until this year. A rat was climbing my cable, going over the netting, and wiped out half my colony before we figured out the problem, with the help of people on this forum. I was told to put a round guard on my pole, three feet off the ground. So I went to Lowe’s and got a 8” galvanized vent pipe and just used screws at the top to hold it on. That fixed the problem instantly. You don’t want to go through starting a colony just to have a predator destroy it, or even keep it from happening at all. You also need to start shooting or trapping as many sparrows and starlings that you can. I’ve got a Blaine’s repeating trap and a nest box trap I built, and have caught over a hundred of the rat birds. Just trying too help you out, so you’ll have a better chance of success.
I read that you have a pond, is there a open area around it, how big is it?
I just noticed the flower pot. The forum can let you know if it’s big enough.
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

Anthony Neira
Martin Colony History: Started in 1992 From neighbors old 1950-60's colonies. Have 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 4 MPP Poles, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals ,& 2 S&K 11" WITH Troyer Porches ready for 2019 Season !

Postby Anthony Neira » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:28 pm

HOWDY Steve ! :grin: , Glade you'r aboard ! & that you left your site open ! I can't say that there IS a way to tell if P.Ms have spent the night in your colony ( Colony !, Sounds Great Already !! :grin: ) But, you Just Might see/hear one or more stop by , or circle above, I keep a few rooms open even up to mid Sept. & I still see/get P.Ms sneaking into a room esp. if they get caught in a Sept. Rain ! Don't worry TOO much about the height of your house, you can always modify it Before the season begins. Hek, my neighbor was/is So lazy he just nailed a crapy 12 room hand made P.M(?) house to the top edge of his 6' metal shed AND STILL got P.Ms to move in ( poor birds ! :-( ) Keep it up !, Like the rest of us, you'll learn to modify as you get to know your P.Ms. Best of luck next season ! :grin:
PMCA Member, 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals + Tunnels, & 2 S&K Bo 11"s WITH Troyer Porches ! 4 MPPs, For 2019 Season !! :grin: Started in 1992 from Older '50-'60s Colonies.

Steve joubert

Re: New landlord seems there's hope for 2020

Postby Steve joubert » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:50 pm

My neighbor put up two houses in February and stopped by to say hello. He told me he had several visitors. He live about two houses down from me. Near by colony about half miles from us . was glad to hear he had visitors. Starting to trim and cut trees. Getting eggshells ready and will have them bed and breakfast ready for arrival. Do I have to use soapy water to wash eggshells? I have large zip lock . I'll put up large aluminum drain pan on pole with nesting material and eggshells. I no it's still early, but you have to plan ahead.

daveh

Postby daveh » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:04 am

Steve, I put the bed and breakfast up in the spring when the martins start showing up, around the middle of march. I have eggshell, oyster shell, meal worms, and pine straw all in a 10x21 inch black seed tray with slots in the bottom for drainage. I microwave the chicken egg shells for around a minute. It kind of depends on how many you got. You don't want to burn them. I collect egg shells in the spring when they start coming in.

Dave
PMCA member

Steve joubert

Postby Steve joubert » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:32 am

Steve, I put the bed and breakfast up in the spring when the martins start showing up, around the middle of march. I have eggshell, oyster shell, meal worms, and pine straw all in a 10x21 inch black seed tray with slots in the bottom for drainage. I microwave the chicken egg shells for around a minute. It kind of depends on how many you got. You don't want to burn them. I collect egg shells in the spring when they start coming in.

Dave
Thanks Dave, good information for next year!!

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”