Opinions please

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
BillieJR

I've had an ASY male here for almost 2 hours now - I know that doesn't really mean a whole lot - but I am just wondering.......what are my chances he may stay at this point? I mean - it's pretty late in the season - I'm in Southern Wisconsin. He may be gone by the time I get done typing this - I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm just wondering if there is a chance at all he may stay.
Billie from south central Wisconsin
Black Jack

I doubt it.
Brad Biddle

Way too early to even form a guess. Staying 2 hours is a good sign though. He must not have a mate or they'd be together. I will say this. Anytime that a Martin spends more than 5-10 minutes at a new site, it's a good sign.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 132 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.
BillieJR

Thanks Brad Bittle and Black Jack - I appreciate your encouraging thoughts. I've got my fingers crossed but also prepared to be disappointed.
flyin-lowe

I am not sure how far along nesting martins are in your area. Here in Indiana I have babies hatching every day. Everyone is busy in and out feeding you so I think it would be odd for an ASY to go to another site and hang out for hours at a time. Which makes me believe that he might be unmated, but that's just a guess. Early in the season it is not uncommon for them to disappear for long periods of time but in this point in the season they are either building nests or feeding young.
2020 Currently 42 nest, 110 babies, 64 eggs left to hatch(6-22-20) HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
BillieJR

I am wondering if maybe he had a mate but that maybe something happened to her at the colony they were at and so he is out looking for a new place to hang out. Just a thought. He stayed around here til tonight - I'm not sure if he is here overnight or not. I was outside working all afternoon and evening and tried to keep an eye on him. About 7:30 or so I no longer saw him so I dont' know if he's inside a gourd or if he took off for parts unknown. I'll have to see if he's around tomorrow again. I'd love to think he will be. Thanks flyin-lowe.
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

Billie,

A friend near me got his first pair in mid June not too many years ago. They were a pair of ASY martins. An existing colony can be attacted by a predator. A storm can damage martin housing. Both instances can cause martins to abandon a colony and look for another site. A lone ASY male may have lost a mate. There is always a chance that he will attract a female. We will keep our fingers crossed.

Ed
BillieJR

Thanks, Ed!!! I really appreciate your ideas. This gives me some hope. Thanks for sharing. I've got your Dawn Song going every day. :) I really am grateful for your support.
vman
Martin Colony History: have not had martins for last 20 yrs. trying to re establish a colony
2018 1 asy pair fledged 2

hi billie, we had an asy pair show up june 6 last year and they ended up nesting and raised 2 young. they have not returned this year, we have had 2 sy males here much of the time, but they have not been able to find mates. that being said, i have not given up for this year, most colonies seem to be one to 2 weeks late at nesting this year. the cool wet weather has been a problem, we lost some baby tree swallows and i'm sure martins are having a tough time finding enough to feed their young, good luck!
Jim
BillieJR

I'm sorry they didn't come back, vman! I hope you still have time, I think, for this year. This fella has hung around since Saturday so today is day4 and he is usually here in the morning and again in the evening and disappears during the between hours - I like to think he's out looking for a lady friend to bring back - and today he did just that. They didn't stay, however........so I am disappointed in that - but they've only been gone for maybe half an hour and I have to go to work now so I will have to wait til morning to see if he/they are still here. I'm sending up lots of prayers for that to happen. I did also have 4 others here today checking out my gourds - they don't seem interested in the houses, only the gourds. So hang in there - they may be headed your way. They didn't stay either.