First time landlord

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Tommy Coley

First time landlord

Postby Tommy Coley » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:50 pm

This is my first year trying to get Purple Martins to my house. I built me 2 condos with 9 rooms each 7 by 12 with nesting boxes.I also hung 5 gourds underneath. Put my houses up last week in February I live in Fuquay Varina nc. My neighbor 2 miles from me has a big colony of Martins.The last of March I started having Martins visitors.Had 1 pair to come everyday for a few weeks, then it went to 3 Or 4 pairs. Had Martins check out the houses & gourds. 1 pair stayed a couple nights in a gourd. But sence the first of June they have all left. Does anyone think I have a better chance of starting a colony next year sence they found my houses so quick this year?

jpp77
Martin Colony History: 2015 - 1 pair, not successful (Sparrows)
2016 - 1 pair, 4 young
2017 - 5 pair, 23 young
2018 - 8 pair, 40 young, two deaths most likely due to heat.
2019 - 18 pair, 71 eggs

Re: First time landlord

Postby jpp77 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:19 pm

Don't get discouraged. It took me three years to get an established colony even though I had "visitors" each year. If this is the first year with your housing up and you had "visitors", you will likely get them next year. Especially with a large colony close by.

Black Jack

Postby Black Jack » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:46 pm

Your situation sounds just like mine did 2 yrs ago. I put up gourds in late may and had several martins appear. Never did nest.
Fellow across the field has tons of martins. Last year I had 2 sub adults come in late may. Stayed and raised 2 babies. This year the male adult came in early March and the female a 2 weeks later. Now as far as I can tell there are 3 babies about ready to come out. So it sounds like you will succeed next year. I am about 90 miles east of you.

Tommy Coley

Postby Tommy Coley » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:44 pm

Being were somewhat in the same area when do you take your houses down for the season?

Black Jack

Postby Black Jack » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:13 am

I always leave them up thru last of August. You might have some flying thru going back to S.A. and will see your set up and maybe check em out for next year first thing.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”