my neighbor doesn't like my birds

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Purple Rain

my neighbor doesn't like my birds

Postby Purple Rain » Fri May 31, 2019 8:55 pm

Today has been a tough one! I am sure my neighbor killed one of my martins and hanged him on a pole at the property line. I cannot prove he killed him and he claimed he that he found in the road, and he did this to keep them off his property. I fear more will end up this way. As a landlord do I have any recourse or do I take my 46 gourds down? I am sick over this!

Conrad Baker

Re: my neighbor doesn't like my birds

Postby Conrad Baker » Fri May 31, 2019 9:19 pm

Mount a few game cameras to the poles pointing in the general direction of your neighbor's house. You can buy cheap game cameras online about $40, and they all don't even have to work. Just him seeing them might do the trick. Look online and find the law concerning the Martins being a Federally protected species, and mail him a copy of it along with the penalty for harming Federally protected species (if you can find such info).
I ran into the same problem with my neighbor (he didn't kill one), but called the Health Dept on me complaining of the smell and bird droppings everywhere. The Health Inspector came out, and found no problems. This was 8 years ago, and I haven't had any more problems. We live in the country on 3/4 acre lots, so the Martins were never really around him or his house. Just a pain-in-the-butt neighbor. I hope your situation gets better. Good Luck.
Last edited by Conrad Baker on Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

flyin-lowe

Postby flyin-lowe » Fri May 31, 2019 9:24 pm

It is against the law to kill migratory birds. You will likely have to contact a conservation officer/game warden if this continues. With 20 years in law enforcement I can tell you that things get prioritized. So if you try to call the local police they will probably not take your complaint seriously. If they have burglars, drug dealers, etc they deal with they probably wouldn't help you much. A Conservation Officer would be more familiar with this type of issue and would be more likely to help out. Depending on where you live there might only be one CO assigned to cover multiple counties.
I would try to talk to the neighbor and try a civil approach first, neighbor disputes can lead to years of headaches
2019- Currently 31 complete nests with 10 babies hatched and 95 eggs. (6/9)
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.

John Miller

Postby John Miller » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:08 am

As flying low said, neighbor disputes can linger for years and get intense. Don't remove your gourds, but 40 plus is a big colony if you have close neighbors. Consider reducing next year, and if you are inclined put some at a nearby public area that you would enjoy visiting and managing. Golf courses can be good places. I'd try to limit contact with the neighbor, and have an intermediary let him/her know any plans, and provide information that these birds are protected.

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:03 am

Call the Game Warden/State Police, that’s a federal offense!!!
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 6 pair.

Postby PMDavid » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:45 am

Rain ,sorry to hear about your bird being done that way. IMHO if he’d found the bird in the road I doubt seriously he would have hung it on the pole. That was done on purpose out of defiance against you. He may have disposed of it and politely informed you of his findings,not hung it on the pole. After trying courteous “diplomacy”and he was still acting a jack.....about my birds I would #1conceal a game camera,#2 call the conservation officer and if he remained with his attitude and a second incident took place he would be cordially invited across the fence,and at the end of the day one of us would go home packin’ a good ole butt whippin. I may be overboard there but he has no right to treat the birds or you that way! And as others have told you it is a federal offense.

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:48 am

Like John said, how close is the neighbor? I have a close neighbor on one side. I've lived out in the country all my life and my "forever" next door neighbors both passed away over the last few years. I was concerned when I was told a "crazy guy with PTSD" was moving in next door. Luckily that deal fell through and a nice older lady moved in instead.

Having said that, if you have ample room and they neighbor is being a jerk, I'd call the game and fish folks first. Calling the police would likely be a wasted phone call. I'd also own a game camera and have it pointed at the fence. If all else fails, I'd do what PMDavid suggested with his last suggestion.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 102 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:57 am

That’s a very insensitive thing to say about somebody. I suffer from PTSD and to degrade someone with a mental illness “CRAZY PERSON” is just wrong. I can’t believe you said that!!
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:16 pm

I didn't mean he was crazy because he had PTSD, I meant he was crazy because he had "gone off" on several people and had an arrest record for violent behavior. No offense meant.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 102 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.

Black Jack

Postby Black Jack » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:35 pm

I live far away from my next door neighbor. This is something I would never tolerate once I have proof. Hope justice is served if found guilty. As far as trying to get along with folks, sometimes you just cannot make it work.

bootjack farm
Martin Colony History: 9 years of trying hard...finally in 2017 I have 3 pair w/ 11 babies. T-14 +4 w/ 4 Troyer horiz. gourds. Also, 6 excluder gourd rack and Troyer Super System 24.

Postby bootjack farm » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:59 am

Possession of a protected specie carcass even though dead may be a violation of your state game law. that said, farmers around here shoot crows and hang them in their corn fields in a dubious attempt to scare off other crows. it may be as simple as that. i dealt with wing nuts as i called them for 30 years in l.e. i would try the compromise approach first...even bake them cookies or do something nice for them. realize that your hobby is not theirs and your activities is impacting them negatively. trying to intimidate the neighbors with cameras, etc. may backfire. good luck.
Northwest PA

Purple Rain

Postby Purple Rain » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:01 pm

Thanks for all the great advice. The problem has escalated and I have called the authorities! Very sad situation!

Black Jack

Postby Black Jack » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:59 am

Do not let any one bully you. You have done nothing wrong. You really must have a terrible next door neighbor to cause all this pain for you. You have done the right thing. Hang tough. Never let another human dictate how you choose to engage your time with such a loving bird.

-=DKC=-
Martin Colony History: ................
2019: 11 pairs
2018: 11 pairs - 43 fledged
2017: 4 pairs - 17 fledged

Postby -=DKC=- » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:37 am

This is one of my greatest fears as a landlord. I try to talk to my neighbors and fill them in on what is going on in the colony during the season. How many eggs, how many babies, how many fledges, when they arrive from Brazil and return there, etc. I also invite neighbors over to see the nests during a nest check. I figure that if the neighbors are somewhat invested in the birds, they may enjoy them more and complain less. So far they don't seem to mind.

My 12 gourd colony is loud at times but I'm not sure what else there would be to complain about. It's not like Purple Martins are destructive or poop on cars.

I hope you can work this out with your neighbor without too much stress.
"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' till you do succeed." - Curly Howard

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:35 pm

It's not like Purple Martins are destructive or poop on cars.
Sure they do. Why would they not? It all depends on what is in their flight path when they leave the colony. My pickup gets hit pretty frequently. The back deck on my house gets splattered too. There are lots of reports of them dropping fecal sacks from the nestlings into swimming pools. If it’s not your car or your swimming pool it's easy say they aren’t a problem. It doesn’t bother me because they’re “my” Martins but I could understand if it did bother people. Not everybody is a bird freak like most of us are.
Last edited by Brad Biddle on Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:36 am

trying to edit my post and hit quote icon

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”