Chicadee Interference

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
gotham
Martin Colony History: Wife's family martin house shore Lake Ontario since 1967. New martin house 2019 (Lonestar Alamo aluminum 14 compartment with perching rods and nest trays).

Re: Chicadee Interference

Postby gotham » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:02 pm

My wife's arthroscopic knee surgery has required our being in Toronto, away from our country place and martin house, since June 11 and so we don't know what the HOSP has been up to or whether, against all odds, the martin house we left raised and open might have attracted a tenant.

Although we are probably going to have to remain in the city at least another week, we should shortly have a progress report from the country as our daughter and her husband are going to spend the July 1 long weekend there. I may even be able to prevail upon them to play the Dawnsong a couple of times.

Gotham

gotham
Martin Colony History: Wife's family martin house shore Lake Ontario since 1967. New martin house 2019 (Lonestar Alamo aluminum 14 compartment with perching rods and nest trays).

Postby gotham » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:17 pm

Our daughter and son-in-law returned yesterday from their long weekend at our summer place.

They saw no sign of the HOSP. Unfortunately, the martin house did not appear to have any martin tenants, either. At one point they did see 3 martins on the house, with at least one appearing to make an unsuccessful attempt to enter a compartment through its crescent shaped SREH.

From my online and other reading I gather that there is a consensus that the crescent SREH's are seldom a significant deterrent to martin colonization and that if one is patient the martins will almost always get through these openings. However, some do seem to think the restricted entrance may be problematic if one is attempting to start a new colony or if the other houses in the area all have the round holes, with both of these considerations applying to our situation. Additionally, some do report occasions when these these SREH's have prevented compartment access to martins-see the thread "Questions About Different Types of Openings" in this forum in which detioh11 says he has observed 3 different instances in which martins were unable to enter such openings despite having tried for 30-45".

Because of my experience this year I am following through on an idea I floated earlier in this thread and am ordering from the PMCA a front panel with 3 round holes for my Lonestar Alamo house and will try this from the outset next year. My hope is that martins will enter the compartments with the round holes and that their presence will provide greater motivation for other martins to push into the compartments with the SREH's. If starlings enter through the round openings I will get rid of the predators immediately and replace the round hole panel with the original one with the crescent openings.

My wife is recovering well from her arthroscopic knee surgery and we now hope to be able to return to our country place next Tuesday, July 9. I will do the sort of thorough check of the situation we could not ask our daughter to do (opening all the compartments and carefully monitoring all the bird activity in the area). I will leave the house up and open until the latter part of August (martins in this vicinity start their migration south about August 15) in the hope that, as was earlier suggested by Toy in PA, some martins may acquaint themselves with it and return to it next year.

I will let you know what I find next week.

Gotham

gotham

Re: Chicadee Interference-Would Appreciate Advice

Postby gotham » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:50 pm

We returned to our country place yesterday afternoon. Since our arrival we have seen no martins near our martin house.

However, we did see the male HOSP, who has been our nemesis all season, on the house and now accompanied by a female partner! We also saw they were entering one of the 6 compartments we had left open when we went back to Toronto a month ago for my wife's arthroscopic knee surgery.

This morning the male was on one of the perching rods but took off as I approached. I lowered the house and confirmed the presence of a massive HOSP nest in the compartment I had earlier seen them entering (see photo HOSPNest). I removed just enough of the nest to make room for the insert sparrow trap but left most of it so the sparrows could see it and be enticed to enter (see photo HOSPTrap). I also placed some of the nest material on the trap floor. I then left the martin house lowered and returned indoors to monitor the situation through our spotting telescope.

In just a couple of minutes the HOSP pair returned, with the female clutching a piece of cellophane in her beak and intent on adding to the monstrous nest! They landed on the balcony to their chosen compartment and hesitated, clearly recognizing that something had changed (at least in part because the SREH's in the Lonestar Alamo are not centered, making it impossible to have the SREH and the crescent opening in the sparrow trap overlap-see Photo Eccentric) . They did not enter but flitted about to other balconies, looking confused. After a couple of minutes of this the female, still with the cellophane in her beak, returned to the entrance to the compartment housing their nest, hesitated again, but then finally entered. The male flew off as I returned to the martin house. After I euthanized the female I reinserted the sparrow trap, even though I thought the already wary male had been sufficiently further alerted to the danger that he would not return to that compartment.

The male HOSP is thus still at large and will likely find another mate. He has learned enough that I think it unlikely he will ever be fooled by the insert trap. I guess I have to hope he will now perceive our entire martin house, and not just that one compartment, as a danger to be avoided and will stay away.

Others on this forum have undoubtedly had a similar experience with the HOSP insert trap and I would appreciate any advice you might be able to give based on your experience.

Gotham
Attachments
Eccentric.jpg
Eccentric.jpg (14.56 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
HOSPTrap.jpg
HOSPTrap.jpg (42.33 KiB) Viewed 2434 times
HOSPNest.jpg
HOSPNest.jpg (48.36 KiB) Viewed 2434 times

gotham

Re: Chicadee Interference-PS

Postby gotham » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:33 pm

Today I discovered that the HOSP pair had also built a huge nest in a neighboring compartment of the martin house (Photo HOSPNest2). I understand sparrows sometimes do build more than one nest in close proximity to one another. Typically, too, they had used feathers to create a soft inner lining (Photo HOSPNestfeather). There were no eggs.

There has been no sign of the Male HOSP since his having taken off yesterday immediately following the loss of his mate.

What we are wondering now is whether (1) it is likely he has finally been sufficiently scared off that he will stay away from our martin house from here on in or whether (2) there is a significant danger that he will round up another female and return to harass us further.

If anyone on the forum has had experience relevant to this issue we would certainly appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,
Gotham
Attachments
HOSPNest2.jpg
HOSPNest2.jpg (64.47 KiB) Viewed 2426 times
HOSPNestfeather.jpg
HOSPNestfeather.jpg (85.34 KiB) Viewed 2426 times

ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Postby ToyinPA » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:57 pm

There's a good chance he'll find a new mate & return. Had it happen many times. If you get the male the female usually leaves, but the male often returns. It's a battle keeping them away, out, etc. If you have several pair of martins in the house they usually chase them off, but it won't stop the HS from sneaking in while the martins are off feeding & causing damage.

One thing you do not want to do is remove the nest of a HS if you have martins nesting, because the HS (especially males) will take revenge. They will destroy eggs, kill chicks or yank them out & carry them off. You must trap or shoot them.

HS breed like rabbits, so there are always plenty around to deal with.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member

gotham

Postby gotham » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:14 am

Thanks, Toy.

I had read that there was a real danger the male HOSP would return with another partner. It was very useful to hear that you have actually had that experience. Of course, I had hoped the male would be the first to enter the compartment with the nest and insert trap but he was more wary. Although the female also seemed to sense something was wrong she had returned to the house with the cellophane in her beak and was committed to adding it to the nest and therefore entered the trap. Unfortunately, as I said above, the male has now seen enough that he is unlikely to fall for the trap, even if he returns with a new partner and I wait until they have constructed a new nest. I just have to hope we finally have some luck and that the loss of his mate deters him from coming back.

I have removed the second nest (no martins and so no concern about a "sparrow's revenge syndrome") and have left the insert trap in the compartment with the nest that had been their main focus, even though I think it highly unlikely the male will return and enter. The martin house has been left lowered so as not to attract any martins (who could probably not get in, anyway, due to the fact the SREH size has been reduced by the incomplete overlap between it and the crescent entrance to the trap, as shown in the earlier photo). I am, nonetheless, closely monitoring the martin house.

If the HOSP does not return in the next couple of days I will remove the trap and the nest and again raise the martin house. I will leave it up for the rest of the season, until the end of August (martins leave this area August 15), as has been suggested, in the hope it will be spotted by some martins who will be returning next year as subadults and may remember our Lonestar Alamo.

If the little SOB with the black bib does come back I have to confess I am not sure what I will do but I will eventually post the season's final outcome.

Gotham

ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Postby ToyinPA » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:34 am

Gotham:

HS, especially the males, are cunning. They will watch your house/windows & doors for any movement & take off as soon as they see any movement. Some make it pretty difficult to catch them. We've tried the in house traps & the ground repeating traps & for us they failed. For others they work great. My husband is pretty good at using a BB gun, but living in town we have to be careful of neighbors. All I can say is keep after them & hopefully you'll catch the creeps.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member

gotham

Re: Chicadee Interference-Toy Was Right!

Postby gotham » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:05 pm

Toy was right.

This morning the little f****r was back!-flitting about the martin house as though it was all his (see photos). There must be sparrownip in the Lonestar paint.

I am at my wits end. The insert trap is still in the compartment with the primary nest but, as anticipated, he is too wily to go in.

If I were in the US I would now pick him off with my rifle with a scope. Instead, I am going to have to come up with a Canadian solution. I am not sure, though, what I can do with a hockey stick.

I am going to have to research this some more and will let you know what further failure of an idea I come up with. I can't believe this little **** has persisted in harassing us ever since a couple of days after I reported the arrival of the purple martins in our area on April 13, at which time I had been looking forward to a successful season.

Gotham
Attachments
sonofgun1.jpg
sonofgun1.jpg (27.19 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
sonofgun2.jpg
sonofgun2.jpg (32 KiB) Viewed 2410 times

ToyinPA

Re: Chicadee Interference-Toy Was Right!

Postby ToyinPA » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:04 pm

Toy was right.

This morning the little f****r was back!-flitting about the martin house as though it was all his (see photos). There must be sparrownip in the Lonestar paint.

I am at my wits end. The insert trap is still in the compartment with the primary nest but, as anticipated, he is too wily to go in.

If I were in the US I would now pick him off with my rifle with a scope. Instead, I am going to have to come up with a Canadian solution. I am not sure, though, what I can do with a hockey stick.

I am going to have to research this some more and will let you know what further failure of an idea I come up with. I can't believe this little **** has persisted in harassing us ever since a couple of days after I reported the arrival of the purple martins in our area on April 13, at which time I had been looking forward to a successful season.

Gotham
Gotham:
I figured he'd return. I sent you an e-mail.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:18 pm

Buy a permit, buy a gun and shoot the dang thing.

As a last resort, Martins and HOSP CAN cohabitate though it's far from ideal. There is no way I would allow a HOSP to keep me from opening up my Martin housing. You could have Martins and HOSP until you eliminate the HOSP.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 102 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.

gotham

Postby gotham » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:44 pm

Last evening I put a little birdseed on the balcony of the booby trapped compartment and then put more seed inside, on the floor of the trap.

This morning the bad guy was back on the martin house and, through the spotting telescope, I could see his beak opening and closing as he called in an attempt to attract a new mate. He moved about from balcony to perching rod and then briefly entered an empty compartment. Finally he actually landed on the balcony with the bird seed. I watched, holding my breath, as he took a seed in his beak. However, instead of following the trail of seed on into the trap, he flew to another balcony where, in safety, he ate the bait. He then flew off and has been gone the rest of today.

I have now read that during the breeding/nesting period a feather or feathers can be used to bait a trap, especially one the HOSP might have already used in a nest. This evening I, therefore, found the nest I had discarded a couple of days ago and retrieved the three small feathers he and his partner had used to line that nest. I moved the insert trap to the empty chamber he had briefly entered this morning and placed the three feathers on the floor of the trap, with one sticking part way out of the opening. For good measure I placed a few seeds on the balcony of this newly booby trapped compartment and more inside, hopefully as a further enticement for him to enter.

I will have to see what happens on his anticipated return tomorrow. So far, however, he has been winning this battle of wits (? halfwits).

PS:
Brad, a gun isn't really an option here. My neighbours would sic the mounties onto me. This area has become so gentrified it is becoming known as the Canadian Hamptons :)

Toy, I didn't get your E-mail but you may not have my E-mail address.

Gotham

BumBee

Postby BumBee » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:41 pm

Gotham,
I trap and shoot those little buggers. I use two PMCA repeating traps with modified entrances.
I made the entrance big enough so those little buggers can get and stop the white wings doves and
squirrels from getting in.

The third trap is a home made nest box trap mounted on top of a 4 inch PVC sewer pipe.

I do not like to use the compartments on my PM housing as traps. I just block the entrance and
use them as my shooting platforms.

I would throw bird seeds to attract those little buggers to the ground and send .177 10.6 grn pellets.

I use a .177 PCP moderated air rifle for the job. I too have neighbors that would call the cops on me
if and when they hear or see me shooting those little buggers and the starlings. I like this better
than removing the catch from my traps. They don't ever see me with the pellet rifle in my position.

Good luck getting rid of those little buggers.

FarmerHarv
Martin Colony History: 2018 - First house up in late June, lots of visitors brought over by “Percy”, a very enthusiastic SY male.
2019 - 10 nests, 51 eggs, 41 hatched, 40 fledged.

Postby FarmerHarv » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:17 pm

Gotham, you get bonus points for perseverance, that's for sure! :grin: You'll get him eventually, just hang in there. I had a particularly evasive male that I finally got with a .22 rimfire as he was looking out of a tree swallow box. I had to call in a crime scene clean up crew to take care of the mess in the box, plus repair the back wall where the bullet exited, but the tree swallow eggs were still fine and all successfully fledged. The parents had quite the story to tell the kids later about the home invasion of '19 I'm sure.

gotham

Postby gotham » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:25 pm

Farmerharv,

Thanks for the encouragement and the description of the solution that worked for you in solving a problem similar to mine.

I just went to my wife, whose family owns this place, and asked what she thought of my looking into the possibility of getting an air rifle. Her answer was, "No, and No in bright lights". Her response has something to do with her being Canadian and something to do with where we are in Canada. Although I assume your being in Saskatchewan means, Saskatchewan, Canada, it sounds as though you are on a farm in the prairies, where the ownership and use of firearms is much more acceptable.

So far the little b* hasn't returned and I suspect he's out looking for a mate to bring back.

In case, upon his return, he doesn't fall for the reconfigured insert trap in the martin house, I spent some time yesterday looking into various nest box traps. I might have to try putting a nest box back up, this time armed with such a device.

If I ever get this guy I'm going to take him to a taxidermist, get him stuffed and mount him on the wall over the fireplace :)

I'll keep you posted.

Gotham

ToyinPA

Postby ToyinPA » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:38 pm

Gotham:

I tried to send you an e-mail or Private Message, but you don't have that option available. Send me an e-mail: tergott@comcast.net

Use PURPLE MARTIN in the subject line.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member

Birds
Martin Colony History: 2017: nothing, 2018: discovered the PMCA, new house modifications 2019:Still no Martins. House sparrow and starling hate forever.

Postby Birds » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:56 pm

What works for me is to take down the Martin house for a couple days. Put the insert trap in a wooden box on a pole and wait patiently... I have noticed that after a male hosp clams a house he is less likely to go in. So by setting up a new nest compartment for him will encourage him to go in. Just my experience may not work for you. Good luck👍
2017 :installed a Martin house hoping for Martins.
2018 :discovered the PMCA made modifications to a heath house .
2019 : Still no martins yet. House sparrow and starlings hate forever.
Tip :never give up

gotham

Re: Chicadee Interference-HOSP No More?

Postby gotham » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:34 pm

As there had been no sign of the male HOSP since he flew off 5 days ago I, today, decided to try raising the martin house again.

I removed and disposed of the nest I had left in the compartment in which the female had been caught in the insert trap. In doing so I discovered why she had been so committed to returning to that compartment, even though she had seemed to suspect that something was amiss. At the base of the nest were 4 sparrow eggs! (see photo HOSPNest1). Despite their presence the male had been smart enough to never again enter that compartment. I then also removed the insert trap that I had earlier moved to a different compartment and baited, as noted in my last post, with a combination of feathers and seed. I have kept the feathers in case I have to deploy the insert trap again.

The martin house has now been put back up (see photo 'Waiting') so the martins in our area can see it before they head south in mid August, hopefully increasing the likelihood that some of the returnees will check us out next season (and decide to stay). While it is our hope, too, that the HOSP has finally given up and departed, we are preparing for the possibility we may have to tangle with him again.

Gotham
Attachments
HOSPNest1.jpg
HOSPNest1.jpg (82.3 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
waiting.jpg
waiting.jpg (36.23 KiB) Viewed 2337 times

gotham

Re: Chicadee Interference-End Note

Postby gotham » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:22 pm

As per my last post, on July 20, 5 days after the male HOSP had flown away, I again raised our martin house. The HOSP was not seen again until 4 days ago when he returned with 2 others in tow. He briefly looked into the compartment from which I had earlier removed the nest he and his partner had built, with its 4 eggs. He did not enter and the trio flew off after a stay of only 5 minutes, with no sign of them since.

It seems my having dispatched his mate in July, late in the nesting season, had finally gotten rid of him.

The martins on the nearby property left on their southward journey on August 8, about a week prior to their usual departure. On this forum I have seen it suggested that after the martins leave there may be an advantage to leaving the house up until the fall. The rationale for doing so is that one's house may then be seen by martins migrating later from further north, who may remember and settle in it upon their return the following year. However, over many years, we have never seen a single martin after they have left our immediate area, perhaps because we are at the northern extent of their migratory pattern. We therefore decided it was time to prepare our house for next year and put it to bed.

As noted in an earlier posting, the SREH's on our Lonestar Alamo martin house seemed to be an impediment to some martins despite their apparently determined attempt to enter, perhaps because all the martin houses in our region have always had round holes. We therefore followed the plan outlined in an earlier posting and replaced a single 3 entrance panel on our house with one having round holes and were able to purchase this panel from the PMCA (see "alteredalamo" photo). The hope is that next year martins will enter the compartments with the round openings, with their presence providing an incentive for other martins to persevere in getting through the SREH's. If starlings get into these compartments the nest trays can be reversed to block the openings, leaving 11 compartments with the SREH's. To help the purple martins in their attempts to get through the crescent shaped entrances I followed the advice of ToyinPa, on this forum, and put non slip grit tape on the balconies of all the compartments with the SREH's (see "Traction" photo). After a thorough cleaning of all the cavities the nest trays were reversed and the lowered house covered with a thick tarpaulin that was carefully tied in place to ensure it could resist the high winter winds off the lake (see "cocooned" photo), the same approach used successfully after we purchased the house last fall.

Although this season has been disappointing, I have learned a lot, both from what I have seen on this forum and from my own experience. The main features of my approach for the coming year, other than those already noted, can be summarized as follows:

1- Purchase from the PMCA a predator guard that is detachable so as to allow regular nest checks
2- Buy from the PMCA one or two good decoys as an attractant to install on perching rods (no hawk attacks in our area)
3- Buy a Spare-O-Door Sparrow Trap and buy/have made a nest box to match
4- Before the martin arrival prepare each compartment with a nest made of pine needles and some green leaves, placed over a dusting of Sevin
5- With the first sighting of the martins open the compartments and play the dawnsong
6- If a HOSP lands on the house lower it and block all entrances but one and put up a nest box nearby with the Spare-O-Door Sparrow trap
7- If the HOSP builds a nest in the one open compartment place an Insert Sparrow trap in this compartment.
8- Once the HOSP has been done away with, open the compartments, raise the house and play the dawnsong.
9- If martins settle in the house do regular nest checks and replace the Sevin and nests at intervals after hatching, as per Ed Svetich-WI "Small Colony Results with Active Management-Best Practices" on this forum

A final issue is that my wife wants to go on a 2 week Mediterranean cruise or vacation to Europe next May. I told her that we could do this the latter part of the month as I want to be here in early May, when the SY's arrive, to play the dawnsong. She laughed and said our agenda was not going to be determined by the Purple Martins' schedule. Divorce is not an option as my wife owns our summer place and access to the martins is not likely to be part of any divorce settlement :)

Wishing all martin landlords a Happy Fall, Holiday Season and Winter and a Very Successful Purple Martin Season in 2020,

Gotham
Attachments
alteredalamo.jpg
alteredalamo.jpg (142.97 KiB) Viewed 171 times
Traction.jpg
Traction.jpg (129.34 KiB) Viewed 171 times
cocooned.jpg
cocooned.jpg (255.36 KiB) Viewed 171 times

ToyinPA

Postby ToyinPA » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:00 am

Gotham:

I think you pretty much have it all covered :).

I gather dried white pine needles late October here in central PA. You want the fresh fallen ones, which will be brown in color, but still very flexible. If they are wet lay them on a tarp or something to dry & then put them in plastic grocery bags to store. You may go thru 2 Walmart size bags for an average of 7 or 8 nests. It all depends on how many times you will need to change the nests out. The more pests, blow-fly larva, etc., the more you will be changing nests. Sometimes I've had to change nests out every couple days due to major blowfly issues. They can also get pretty messy when they get closer to fledging age. FYI... we use a putty knife to scrape the trays out.

Watch the Scout Report map. When any get in close range load the trays & open a few rooms. We usually have ours ready & waiting by the 3rd week of March. Once I see a report south of me I open the rooms & raise the houses. Martins can fly hundreds of miles a day & they need a nice dry place to rest once they arrive. You don't want to be out there trying to load trays, in cold/rain/snow, with any flying around & then giving up & leaving.

I'd also get some meal worms or crickets & try supplemental feeding once any arrive. It's the perfect time, as they will be hungry from their long journey north.

I would suggest you save egg shells & have at least 2 cups of crushed shells on hand. We put them in a upside down Frisbee screwed to the top of the cloths line post. My husband drilled a few holes in the Frisbee to let any rain out. Set up a place to put them out for the martins. A bench, table, etc.. Some place near the houses so they can see them. It can be a low sided baking tray, on the ground, etc.. What ever works.

I'm straight south of your location. My SY Males tend to start arriving around May 12-20th. More arrive later into late June. I'd opt for early May for the vacation ;).

Keeping my fingers crossed you get a start next season.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member

gotham

Postby gotham » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:21 pm

Toy,

Thanks very much for this additional helpful advice.

I will print it out so as to have it to refer to in case this posting is no longer available next spring.

I will also let you know how I fare next season.

Gotham

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”