So upset!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Birdguy / OH

Re: So upset!

Postby Birdguy / OH » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:38 pm

LisaJ wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:49 pm
I finally got my Trap Door trap with sound module.
-Lisa
Curious - where did you hear about this trap? There are youtube videos on it. Make sure you don't use too much bait. Typically I put a small piece of bread on the back only. Good luck!

LisaJ

Postby LisaJ » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:46 pm

I will never give up. I love a good challenge! I hate sparrows. I love my PMs!! Stay tuned!
-Lisa

LisaJ

Postby LisaJ » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:57 pm

Birdguy, I learned about the Trap Door trap from a sweet friend in this forum. She has had success with it. I have to be patient and determined. I am both! HOSPs gonna lose this battle!
-Lisa

Kuemic
Martin Colony History: 2015 1 SY pair, 2 eggs destroyed by sparrow
2016 1 ASY pair, 5 eggs, 2 hatchlings, 2 fledged
2017 1 ASY pair, 5 eggs, 5 hatchlings, 5 fledged; 1 SY pair, 4 eggs not incubated
2018 daily visitors but no takers

Postby Kuemic » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:22 pm

Glad others are using the trap door box with sparrow call module. I found it works best when a male HOSP has claimed a gourd or a cavity and regularly perches outside said cavity making his annoying call, then placing the trap on the ground below the cavity.

After reading about sparrow trapping on the bluebird site, sialis.org, I followed the advice of not looking at a sparrow when setting a trap, lol. The trap door box allows time to set the trap and leave the area before the annoying male HOSP call begins on the attached module, hopefully enticing the actual male HOSP to investigate. We have trapped both male and female house sparrows with this device. Good luck Lisa!!!!
Michelle in Topeka

Kuemic
Martin Colony History: 2015 1 SY pair, 2 eggs destroyed by sparrow
2016 1 ASY pair, 5 eggs, 2 hatchlings, 2 fledged
2017 1 ASY pair, 5 eggs, 5 hatchlings, 5 fledged; 1 SY pair, 4 eggs not incubated
2018 daily visitors but no takers

Postby Kuemic » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:08 pm

UPDATE: trapped two male sparrows today. A male and female HOSP were hopping on the gourd rack. I don't have an insert trap for the gourds so set up the trap door box with sparrow call module. Did not have any luck until we lowered the gourds to about 5 feet above the trap, then got the male HOSP within the hour. Set it again for the female. She brought another male HOSP to check out the gourds but we got him in the trap house in back (old metal house with 2 spare-o-doors).

Wonder if the female will try to lure another male sparrow (we're calling her the black widow). May be time to set the repeating trap.

Happy hunting!
Michelle in Topeka

LisaJ

Postby LisaJ » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:32 pm

Ya'll are giving great recommendations!
I can't wait to tell that i finally caught my first evil HOSP!
- Lisa

Cloudwalker
Martin Colony History: I have had Martins for for about 17 years if not more. I did not keep a good record but have fledged about three nests a year. For this group that is not much but I am passionate about Martins and want to grow and have more birds and teach others!

Postby Cloudwalker » Fri May 03, 2019 4:27 pm

Lisa....a fellow sparrow hater here......I just ordered 2 gourds and a trap. I plan to hang 2 gourds (1st time) under my existing house which I raise and lower with a pully system (not the deluxe type) I am wondering if anyone has info. for me as I would like to trap a sparrow in the housing but can't find a trap that works. I tried two on the pmca site that don't fit right with my housing. Even the universal was not working. I was wondering about other traps sticky tape etc. Any suggestions as for sure the sparrow will return again and again and build an elaborate nest as you are all aware of. I would just like to read about others success with trapping sparrows and how they do it.

Brad Biddle

Postby Brad Biddle » Sun May 05, 2019 7:32 am

Lisa, just know that trapping sparrows is a year round job. They're hard to eliminate without a combination of shooting and trapping with both nest box traps and bait traps. The first year I attempted to get Martins to nest on our farm, HOSP ran them off. I got mad and got even. I started trapping them with a bait trap and caught 270 in just a few months. It's been so long ago I don't remember the details. I use to build and sell a trap but stopped that long ago too. There use to be plans on this website for the trap. I don't know if they're still on here or not. It was "Brad's Sparrow Trap" or "Brad Biddle's Sparrow Trap"

I still have to trap and shoot them. I mostly just shoot now since I don't have a high population of them anymore.
Martin landlord since 2003. Currently offering 102 plastic gourds with tunnels and all SREH.

jkillinger

Postby jkillinger » Tue May 07, 2019 1:46 pm

Hi,

I’m new to this forum. I would like answers if possible how to get HOSP to go in trap cages. I bought one after I found a dead PM in my one bird house and that’s last straw! And there’s a lot more to it than that. Last year they kept bluebirds from nesting. Every box I put up they immediately take over! I’m done with them!

I bought a trap cage with middle that holds one. Where do I place it and what do I put in it and how much? I tried white feathers and bread and popcorn to no avail. I really don’t want to spend money on pellet gun if I don’t have to.

LisaJ

Postby LisaJ » Fri May 17, 2019 11:03 am

FINALLY!!! Trapped my first HOSP today!! I have the Trap Door and have patiently watched day after day since end of April. I moved the box to the ground and left it there for several days and I could see the curiosity growing. This morning, WHAM, I heard the trap door slam shut! It was the female. Still have to get that male. So happy!!

wmfamily

Postby wmfamily » Fri May 17, 2019 7:55 pm

jkillinger wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:46 pm
Hi,

I’m new to this forum. I would like answers if possible how to get HOSP to go in trap cages. I bought one after I found a dead PM in my one bird house and that’s last straw! And there’s a lot more to it than that. Last year they kept bluebirds from nesting. Every box I put up they immediately take over! I’m done with them!

I bought a trap cage with middle that holds one. Where do I place it and what do I put in it and how much? I tried white feathers and bread and popcorn to no avail. I really don’t want to spend money on pellet gun if I don’t have to.
Don't give up as it can take some time. I use white feathers and some nesting materials and place it near the martin house where they can see it. Normally if you can catch one you can catch two. The one in the trap will lure in others. I have mine mounted on a t-post where I can move it if needed.

Do a search in the forum and you can find many tips on trapping sparrows.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”