Sightings map & Song player

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Khester

Sightings map & Song player

Postby Khester » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:53 pm

We’re first time landlords. (Double gourd rack and great 8/gourd rack on second pole) I was looking on the scouting map and there was a report in Vonore, Tn today ...I live in Seymour, Tn which is about a 40 minute drive. Is there any indication of when I might have a few fliers this way? I can’t get the bird-x Martin dawn song player here until next Monday or Tuesday...do you think I have time before I’ve missed the opportunity to catch some interest? Also, is there a time period that I’ll know I won’t have any Martins this year...not many folks put up housing here. :(

Dale D
Martin Colony History: PM Landlord since 2004

Re: Sightings map & Song player

Postby Dale D » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:21 am

Your're not too late. The Martins arriving in your State now are adults and returning to the sites they used last season, Your best chance of starting your colony will be when the SY Martins begin arriving in your area which they aren't there yet. Best of luck to you!
Orlando, FL Landlord since 2004
Offer 34 Cavities Total

flyin-lowe

Postby flyin-lowe » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:49 am

It is very early on and you still have several months to get a colony started. I would keep my eyes open just because the ASY's are arriving in your area. It will likely be about one month before the SY's start to really flow in. That is when you have your best chance. It is always possible that ASY's will start your colony but that is less common then SY's. You can go back several years on the scout map reports and see when the average date is that SY's arrive in your area. The number of people who report them is pretty low so it is not as accurate but it will give you some ideas.
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.

jhcox

Postby jhcox » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:37 pm

Hey Khester I would really like to get together and compare note on setups. I live alittle north of you off of enter state 75 at exit 117 Raccoon Valley Rd. I’m not sure if this is allowed but here goes. My phone number is+18656406570. If you would like to give me a call I would be happy to assist you in any way I can. I have really been trying to find other PM landlords near my are. But like you said there’s just not a lot of us in East Tennessee. Even if you look at the purple Martin migration map of the area near the great Smoky Mountains is not overly populated with Martin landlords. even if you look at years past it’s very thin along the east Tennessee and western North Carolina area JHCox Heiskell TN. I hope to hear from you soon thank you

BillieJR

Postby BillieJR » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:49 pm

Welcome to the group, Khester! Good luck - I hope you are successful.
Billie from southern Wisonsin

TNMartins
Martin Colony History: 2018 - 3rd year of housing. First pair stayed Spring 2018.

Postby TNMartins » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:14 pm

I’m in Midddle TN just south of Nashville. Last year we had our first ever pair and 5 fledglings.

I started Dawnsong on April 24, saw the first Martins on April 26, and had an ASY pair going into a gourd on April 29.

You still have plenty of time. Get your Dawnsong going around April 1, put some pine straw in your gourds, and make sure you have a pellet gun or traps ready for the starlings and sparrows. They’ll run the Martins off in a hurry once things get busy in May.

Good luck!
6 B&H B09 Gourds / 16 Compartment B&H barn converted to 6

2016 - 0 visits
2017 - Few visitors in late summer
2018 - 1 Pair, 5 Fledged

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”