Hawk

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.

Re: Hawk

Postby PMDavid » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:26 am

Well, I guess I created quite the stir with the hamster baited hawk trap.....oooops! Didn’t realize it was illegal to catch em un harmed. Learned a good lesson and received some education. Alls well that ends well. I like the bottle rocket deal ,when we were kids we would light em and drop em in a peice of conduit,very accurate. Yes we were little heatherns! Bottle rocket fights were a regular occurrence for us group of boys in the neighborhood(unknown to our parents of course).

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:17 pm

PMDavid wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:26 am
Well, I guess I created quite the stir with the hamster baited hawk trap.....oooops! Didn’t realize it was illegal to catch em un harmed. Learned a good lesson and received some education. Alls well that ends well. I like the bottle rocket deal ,when we were kids we would light em and drop em in a peice of conduit,very accurate. Yes we were little heatherns! Bottle rocket fights were a regular occurrence for us group of boys in the neighborhood(unknown to our parents of course).
LOL, sounds just like me, love it!!!
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:20 pm

pmlover wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:48 am
i would like to have a dollar for every time ive or my wife has run out there with a yelow bright jacket on yelling waving our hANDS in the air(they hate bright yellow) two crazy old people 73 and 77
Sounds good also. Ten years ago I had a speaker on top of my porch playing the dawn song, neighbors thought I was crazy!!
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

jhcox

Postby jhcox » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:46 pm

Ya a piece of one inch pvc pipe with a wine cork in one end and taped up good is great and accurate enough to get near but do no harm. And your write bottle rocket wars were awesome back in the day. As long as mom and dad didn’t find out. JHCox

Sharon - Central TX

Postby Sharon - Central TX » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:07 pm

Well I just happened to look out the window and a hawk was sitting on top of a gourd, AGAIN! He must have chased one in. I’m pretty sure they came in earlier since it’s close to dark. I didn’t have a chance to “put them to bed” tonight.
I’m not a cussing person but I sure feel like it right now. It’s bad enough to be chased but then to sit right there on top just waiting is downright creepy.

brent

Postby brent » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:02 pm

Hi Sharon,

I had two attacks this morning. One from a Sharp Shinned and another from a Coopers. Yesterday I saw a hawk sit on the roof of one oh my houses. I chased him away with the help of the martins that were dive bombing him. It leaves me shaking when this happens. I have decoys which have helped. I even put a scare crow out. Tomorrow I will be out at about 8:15 (they attacked this morning about 10 minutes apart from 8:25 to 8:35). Hoping they will leave with my harassment. Good luck to you.

Brent

Rodger Drye
Martin Colony History: Have been hosting and protecting Martin's for going on 30 years now.

Postby Rodger Drye » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:29 pm

I guess I’ve been lucky so far. Have not had any attacks from Hawks,Owls, Crows etc. Starlings and Sparrows are my main problem. But my traps work pretty good for them. I’ve already caught 6 Starlings and 2 Sparrows, and of course they bit the dust.! We have several Cotton Tail rabbits out in the pasture, and I saw a Hawk grab one the other day. I hope this isn’t a prelude as to what might be coming my way.
Rodger
PMCA Member
Have been Hosting and Protecting Martin's for 28 years.

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:42 pm

I stayed out till dark and didn’t have one come close to the housing, but they were circling the cattle field. What’s the deal this year with these hawks? Guess it happens every year, maybe this post just has more of us on alert.
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

Sharon - Central TX

Postby Sharon - Central TX » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:12 am

Yeah, one for the Martins!
This morning a bunch chased a hawk, literally attacking him as he tried to get away. They were higher than he was and kept dive bombing him and hitting him. He was saying “get away, get away” :lol:

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:46 am

It’s great when they start fighting their own wars. My house was just too low the other day due to storms. Martin didn’t have a chance since they have to go down before they can go up. My numbers are exploding. Had fourteen here this morning. Keep them coming, strong north winds won’t help today, as stated earlier in another post. Keep fighting the fight!!
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:04 pm

It just seems to me that the Hawk populations are rapidly increasing. It is not just our purple martins they are preying on, they seem to be reducing other songbird populations in our area. Realizing hawks are federally protected, it is up to the conservation department to get them in check. The sooner the better in my opinion.
Keith

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:12 pm

With all the new houses being built and forest being destroyed, they and other predators are being forced to hunt where their food moves to. We have coyotes in town now with all the clearing being done for new homes, it’s not their fault, they gotta eat to. Just a issue for guys like us.
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:15 pm

rr, There is a hunting season on coyotes in our area or we would really be in trouble. We used to have lots of different birds like quail, no more. This is the point I was trying to make. We need balance before extinction.
Keith

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:59 pm

How do we go about resolving this issue? I’m on board, just let me know.
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

Sharon - Central TX

Postby Sharon - Central TX » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:57 pm

Keith wrote: “It just seems to me that the Hawk populations are rapidly increasing.”
I have to agree with that statement and also RR’s comments about so much new housing. I don’t remember seeing nearly as many hawks in years past like we do now. We used to basically be in the country but every bit of ranch land around us has been sold to developers. Housing has exploded with so many people moving to TX. It has been sad watching the beauty around us mowed down and replaced by as many houses as can be built on tiny lots. We’ve been having an influx of all kinds of wildlife because we are about the only development where the houses sit on several acres, much of it still rural. So it makes sense we would be seeing more hawks.

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:37 pm

We’ll get them hawks!!!
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

Sharon - Central TX

Postby Sharon - Central TX » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:58 pm

Wow, best alarm system ever!

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:05 pm

They sure try!!!
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

Robert Anderson
Martin Colony History: Long time Bluebird landlord and aspiring Purple Martin Landlord.
8 PMCA Gourds
12 S&K Bo 9 gourds (double stacked)
1 S&K Great 8 converted to 4 unit (from 8)
2 Trio Mussleman houses converted to 6 units (from 12)

Postby Robert Anderson » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:28 am

PMDavid wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:00 pm
Really sorry to hear that r.r. I feel for ya. I hope that doesn’t happen again,good with it.
The decoys WORK! I just had an owl attempt to remove a decoy from one of my houses twice this morning. Decoy is now laying over on its side.

I have two decoys on each house facing opposite directions. The stationary target is hard for birds of prey to resist. Give your Martins the best chance and double up on decoys.

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:23 pm

Haven’t seen mine take a hit yet. He’s trying though, lol.
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”