South/Central Texas question

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Elmo

South/Central Texas question

Postby Elmo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:46 am

Does anyone in the San Antonio/Hill country/Valley area use pine needles as a prep for your houses? If so does it help your martins? If not, do you prep your houses with anything?
I was thinking of using dead live oak leaves. Any thoughts?

-=DKC=-
Martin Colony History: ................

2018: 11 pairs - 43 fledged
2017: 4 pairs - 17 fledged

Re: South/Central Texas question

Postby -=DKC=- » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:35 am

Elmo wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:46 am
Does anyone in the San Antonio/Hill country/Valley area use pine needles as a prep for your houses? If so does it help your martins? If not, do you prep your houses with anything?
I was thinking of using dead live oak leaves. Any thoughts?
I'm in Corpus Christi. My Purple Martins use dead/brown Live Oak leaves to build their nests. So that's what I use for prenests and nest replacement.

I haven't prepped the gourds with leaves this year but I hope to do so before they arrive. I don't think they need it but it does allow me to add a tiny bit of 7dust under the leaves.

Also, I have a vegetable garden near the pole. I mulch the garden with Live Oak leaves and that's where they get the majority of their nesting material.
"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' till you do succeed." - Curly Howard

rrmartins

Postby rrmartins » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:13 am

I don’t my put anything in mine, they do a good job at nest buildings. Good luck to you this year.
T14
12 pair
53 fledged

I heart birds
Martin Colony History: Will always be a wanna be landlord, martins or not!
2016- Two lookers-No takers.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019-
Home colony: 11 natural gourds, one house. 17 cavities.
PMCA member

Postby I heart birds » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:09 pm

I use pine needles, a small handfull of wood shavings but pine needles mostly. Its a good idea to give them something to bed down in especially after their flight and the early start of the year temps.
It also conserves their energy for egg laying and eating plus reduces their vulnerability while on the ground searching for nest material...why not give them a boost? Its like inviting someone over for dinner and forgetting to cook, lol.
My first year, i didnt do anything like that although it was great watching them build nests i realise i could have saved them an effort. Avoid straw or hay, it turns to mush!
Point is to set the birds up for a sucessful season and enjoy their short stay with us.
Tom

2016-Wanna be LL. Two lookers. nada
2017-5 pairs. 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs. 85 Fledged.
2019-
Offering: 11 natural gourds, w/crescents and WDC openings. 6 modified compartment house

G Saner
Martin Colony History: Fort Worth, TX (1967-1976), The Colony, TX (1981-1985), Carrollton, TX (1986-2013), Kerrville, TX (2015-present).

Two SuperGourd poles (12 gourds on each) at River Point Assisted Living Center.

Postby G Saner » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:53 pm

Elmo,

Yes. I use pine needles in my 24 gourds. Like Tom mentioned, it is a good idea to keep the martins off the ground where they could have a problem with predators. My second reason is to shorten the nest building phase and get them to lay eggs a little earlier so the babies fledge before it gets too hot.

My ASY pair add sticks, mud and leaves to the nest. Most of the SY pair just add leaves.

Gary
G Saner

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”