Are Southern States Too Hot for Metal Houses ?

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Bird Brain

Are Southern States Too Hot for Metal Houses ?

Postby Bird Brain » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:36 pm

I've found 2 websites that suggest that they are. They claim martins and martin eggs can "cook" inside metal housing in southern states. Any truth to this? Or is this fake news ? Here are the 2 links...

www birdhouseinfo com

https://wingardsmarket.com/purple-marti ... -carolina/

Scroll to where it says "Houses/Hotels."
Last edited by Bird Brain on Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every time I kill a house sparrow, I make the world a better place.

Emil Pampell-Tx

Re: Are Southern States Too Hot for Metal Houses ?

Postby Emil Pampell-Tx » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:43 pm

Seems to me that they would get very hot, but I always used gourds or wooden houses. If you decide to use them, you probably should insulate the roof and western sides of the metal house. I quit using houses because they really do attract sparrows, I only use gourds.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps

clivia98

Postby clivia98 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:16 pm

Hi,

I have a trendsetter aluminum house that has an insulated roof and a ventilation system. Last year all 8 compartments were occupied and all but 4 birds fledged. I simply opened the vents when it started to get warm/hot. All seemed to work OK. In Louisiana we go from winter to summer, it seems, so having the vents helps once it begins to get warm.

Jerry

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: Will always be a wanna be landlord, martins or not!
2016- Two lookers-No takers.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
Home colony: 12 natural gourds, one modified house. 18 cavities in total.
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:21 pm

Birdbrain,
I remember this coming up last year...fake news. Anyway, Iv got an aluminum house, filled up last year. no cooked chicks or eggs, sounds like an advertising stunt...and heat index was 108-110 degrees here deep in South Texas. I do vent and enlarged the compartments, did some insulating but didn't have any of that the first year and the four pair that did stay successfully fledged just fine.
A friend of mine has a very old colony, they have aluminum houses, no enlarged compartments or venting; no cooked eggs or chicks.

Pretty sure Louise Chambers nailed it last year: "My personal choice of housing is gourds, but I know that thousands of landlords, from Florida to Texas and north of the gulf as well, use metal housing with great success. The birds and eggs do not 'cook' by any means. I have worked with Trio and Lonestar houses in particular, and know of two mega colonies in Texas that use metal housing exclusively and successfully. I wanted to reply mostly because there is a lot of bad information being circulated about metal housing, intentionally, by a retailer in Texas - he promotes the gourds he sells by promoting negative myths about metal housing".

Do what you can with an aluminum house just like a wooden one, vent, enlarge compartments etc but id take it with a grain of salt. I too like gourds and will eventually go with them totally but for now Ill enjoy the house as well. I know the martins do.
Tom
Tom

2016-Wanna be LL. Two lookers. nada
2017-5 pairs. 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs. 85 Fledged.
2019-17 pair. 81 fledged.
Offering: 12 natural gourds, w/crescents and WDC openings. 6 modified compartment house, crescents with tunnels.

James Strickland FL
Martin Colony History: 2017 Had a lot visitors no Matins nesting, hoping 2018 will be different.

Postby James Strickland FL » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:11 pm

I had 4 Mk12 that were full every year in South Fl and never had a issue with the heat.
PMCA MEMBER

Anthony Neira
Martin Colony History: Started in 1992 From neighbors old 1950-60's colonies. Have 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 4 MPP Poles, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals ,& 2 S&K 11" WITH Troyer Porches ready for 2019 Season !

Postby Anthony Neira » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:45 pm

Here in San Antonio it gets Very hot at times, that's why I changed my Trio "Flat Top" Metal roofs with "Hip" Roofs with an "attic" space with vents, even then I zip tie Foam Board Panels on top of them & where the sun hits them the most on the sides. BUT, MOST of all, I have ALL my house (8, 6 rooms each ) entrances & my 16 Gourd ( all vented with 2-3 PVC elbow vents ) entrances ALL FACING the South East, so that they get as much of the constant summer breeze we get from the Gulf Coast ! :grin:
PMCA Member, 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals + Tunnels, & 2 S&K Bo 11"s WITH Troyer Porches ! 4 MPPs, For 2019 Season !! :grin: Started in 1992 from Older '50-'60s Colonies.

Jim Ray

Postby Jim Ray » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:50 am

Here in the High Plains of Texas we have had losses of martin young in metal houses to heat- mostly young bailing out to escape the heat, but the same thing happens in plastic gourds. My recommendation to folks here is to shower the houses for a few minutes every hour or as often as they can when the temperature is over 100. I have seen colonies make it through the heat spell when this is done while neighbors lose all their young. It seems to me that the problem only occurs when the high exceeds 100 for more than a day or two, and the chances that young will "bailout" are even higher if mites are particularly bad.

That all said, the expansion of martins into this part of the world likely would not have occurred as early as they did without the Trio houses (available and manageable). (FYI, if and when I need new housing I will stick with gourd housing; see https://wildlife.onlinelibrary.wiley.co ... 02/wsb.941).

I hope that you all are doing well!
Last edited by Jim Ray on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: Will always be a wanna be landlord, martins or not!
2016- Two lookers-No takers.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
Home colony: 12 natural gourds, one modified house. 18 cavities in total.
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:02 am

Well said trio makes a good house. When temps get up above 100 here one saving grace is the sea breeze thus venting becomes important. Venting is important reguardless and judging by the amount of gunk left in the vent it works. Anything to make them comfortable.
Tom

2016-Wanna be LL. Two lookers. nada
2017-5 pairs. 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs. 85 Fledged.
2019-17 pair. 81 fledged.
Offering: 12 natural gourds, w/crescents and WDC openings. 6 modified compartment house, crescents with tunnels.

zatn02
Martin Colony History: I have had martin housing for nearly 30 years but was never an active landlord until four to five years ago at this location. I live on Keystone Lake which is 25 miles west of Tulsa Oklahoma. For 2019 I will be expanding the colony to include the following: 1 Gemini rack with 12 Troyer Horizontal and 12 Troyer Vertical gourds, 1 Multi-Purpose pole with 2 Trio M12K houses with expanded compartments and 4 S&K Bo 11 Plus gourds with clinger tunnels, 1 Multi-Purpose pole with 2 Trio Mini-Castles with expanded compartments and 4 Troyer Vertical Gourds underneath, 1 Fountain Gourd rack with 12 Troyer Vertical Gourds, 1 Watersedge Coates Suite 8 house, 1 rack with 3 S&K Double Gourds, 1 Trendsetter 16 house with 4 Troyer Vertical Gourds underneath and 1 S&K Barn style house with expanded compartments. This will be a total of 103 nesting cavities offered for 2019. Hopefully this will help to increase my numbers over 2018 which were 24 active pair with 119 hatch and 102 fledge.

Postby zatn02 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:34 pm

I am in Oklahoma where it gets very hot in the summer. I have several aluminum houses. I have added PVC vents to my Trio M12K expanded houses, I also added insulation to them and I use shade panels on top during the hottest part of the summer. The Trendsetter 16 has internal vents and has an insulated roof. I also ordered vented doors for that house. My Trio Mini Castles have nesting area doors that I have added a 2 inch vent to each of those doors, No issues yet with losses due to heat in any of my aluminum houses. My gourds all offer vents or cooling caps.

thank you
Anita Harp - Keystone Lake Oklahoma

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”