Purple Martin Seminar being held in Venice, FL at The Rookery

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.
In 2018, we fledged 629 martins at all of the sites.

Purple Martin Seminar being held in Venice, FL at The Rookery

Postby bwenger » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:48 pm

Bill Wenger will be giving a Purple Martin Seminar at The Rookery in Venice, Florida. The seminar will start at 1pm.

If you have any questions, you can contact me at w.wenger@comcast.net . Although there will not be any nesting birds at that time, we will go through the motions of a nest check. That fear factor is always present to landlords who have not done them before.

How to be a Successful
Purple Martin Landlord
February 11, 2019 @ Venice Area Audubon Center
1:00pm-1:45pm History of Purple Martins, a Power Point program
1:45pm-2:00pm Starting a Purple Martin Colony
2:00pm-2:15pm Purple Martin Nest Data Check form
2:15pm-2:20pm Video - Dancing with Purple Martins
2:20pm-2:30pm Video - Emergency Feeding of Purple Martins
2:30pm-3:00pm Nest Checks outside

Duke Snyder, inventor of the Excluder Gourd will also be present.
Bill Wenger

Building the Purple Martin population one bird at a time!

bwenger
Martin Colony History: Taking care of 11 active public colonies and trying to start two more in northwestern PA. Also attempting to restart another one in southwestern PA, in Collier Township's Hilltop Park. In 2017, not sure what happened but the ASY male returned and then a couple of weeks later he was gone. It could have been weather related. No other birds showed up. I had a starling nesting at the Public site that I had trouble getting rid of.

Re: Purple Martin Seminar being held in Venice, FL at The Rookery

Postby bwenger » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:45 am

We have multiple people and groups interested in this. If you are interested you can let me know at the email below, or just show up at the door.

Hope to see you there!

Bill Wenger
w.wenger@comcast.net
Bill Wenger

Doug Martin - PA
Martin Colony History: First pair in 2009 after 28 years of trying. 3 pairs 2010, 17 pairs 2011 and 35-45 pairs since. Many additional colonies are now springing up around mine in an area once completely void of Martins. I offer 50 compartments at my site consisting of primarily Excluder II gourds on Gemini racks. Also a wooden T-14. I utilize electric fence type predator guards on the base of the poles. Supplemental feeding is crucial in maintaining my colony. I platform feed throughout the season as needed. My site tends to be a stop over point for additional birds as they migrate further north.

Postby Doug Martin - PA » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:45 am

Sounds a lot warmer than up here Bill. Good luck down there.

Doug
Supplemental feeding plays a major role in western Pennsylvania. Finally got my 1st pair in 2009 after 28 years of effort. 3 pairs in 2010. 17 pairs in 2011. 35 pairs and 150 young in 2012 & 2013. Plus a new 22 pair colony right down the road from me.

bwenger

Postby bwenger » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:16 pm

Hi Doug,

Yes it is. We just had a landing on the new gourd rack this morning. Another colony at Celery Fields in Sarasota had about 20 martins on it on Tuesday. It's nice to hear them again!

Bill
Bill Wenger

bwenger

Postby bwenger » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:59 pm

I believe we had a very successful Purple Martin Seminar on Monday.

We had 20 people show up for the afternoon Purple Martin Seminar. There were people present from Kansas, Virginia, Maine New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Florida. A lot of good questions were asked and hopefully some new colonies will be established this spring.

We had two veteran Purple Martin Landlords present including Duke Snyder known for his Excluder gourd and Terry Ann Suchma known for being involved with the Nature Society for years!

Bill Wenger
Bill Wenger

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”