Just Waiting

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
mjfog
Martin Colony History: 2018 will be my first try. 6 S&K B9s. 29 eggs - 8 fledged
2019 -

Just Waiting

Postby mjfog » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:00 pm

Finished yard work today and as I was putting away tools, my Sandhill Crane family showed up. Ma and Pa and this spring's youngster. "When are you going to load the bird feeders", they ask me. They know I'll spill some feed and they'll feast on my sloppiness. These guys are my buddies. Stand on one leg, sleep with their heads turned and tucked beneath scapulars and don't move even when I pass within 10 feet. Trust.
As I was leaving the club-house, man-shed, tool storage equipment compound (what ever you call it), I noticed the adult male crane was "eyes up!" I looked up and saw swallows! So high up that I couldn't see a white chest. Martins? Maybe. Got my binocs, sat in my lawn chair by my colonies and searched the skies. No luck. I did see two ospreys way up. Circling like vultures. Never seen this species this high before. How about you Eastern Shore bird watchers? Seen ospreys at 1500 to 2000 feet up?
Anyway, my 30 available "ROOMS FOR RENT" are up and ready for occupancy. My dear wife thinks I'm nuts. "You didn't have birds until 23 February last season! That means I have 5 more weeks to watch you freak out." And I'm only entering season 2.
Purple Martins are addictive.
Later, Mike

clivia98

Re: Just Waiting

Postby clivia98 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:05 pm

LOL Mike. I, too, am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my birds. I even set up another house. Last year, my first year, the 8 compartment house was full so this year I put up another one. I keep looking up and listening. Neighbors think I'm nuts. :grin:

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.2019 6 pair.

Postby PMDavid » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:18 pm

Hey mike and Clivia,
I’m in the same boat as y’all. I’m waiting about to climb the walls even though I know it’ll be three more weeks before a bird shows. I had visitors all summer last year which was my first trying. I had built a house and a gourd rack with sixteen naturals,but was late gettin all that done ,so technically this will be my first year to be actually prepared. This year I have two 12 hole trios ,one 16 hole Coates original and 22natural gourds and I’m about to go bizerk over all the anticipation. My co workers and my wife say I have become obsessed. I told em I’d prefer to call it prepared. Clivia just on a limb here but if that was your first year and you filled up you may consider adding even a third house! I hope I can get started this year. I have several colonies within a mile or so around here and one three houses over,had lots of visitors all last summer. I see you are also a louisianaian. I’m in central la. Are you north or south of Alexandria? We should share scout reports. Good luck to ya again this season.

-=DKC=-
Martin Colony History: ................
2019: 11 pairs
2018: 11 pairs - 43 fledged
2017: 4 pairs - 17 fledged

Postby -=DKC=- » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:19 pm

Finished yard work today and as I was putting away tools, my Sandhill Crane family showed up. Ma and Pa and this spring's youngster. "When are you going to load the bird feeders", they ask me. They know I'll spill some feed and they'll feast on my sloppiness. These guys are my buddies. Stand on one leg, sleep with their heads turned and tucked beneath scapulars and don't move even when I pass within 10 feet. Trust.
As I was leaving the club-house, man-shed, tool storage equipment compound (what ever you call it), I noticed the adult male crane was "eyes up!" I looked up and saw swallows! So high up that I couldn't see a white chest. Martins? Maybe. Got my binocs, sat in my lawn chair by my colonies and searched the skies. No luck. I did see two ospreys way up. Circling like vultures. Never seen this species this high before. How about you Eastern Shore bird watchers? Seen ospreys at 1500 to 2000 feet up?
Anyway, my 30 available "ROOMS FOR RENT" are up and ready for occupancy. My dear wife thinks I'm nuts. "You didn't have birds until 23 February last season! That means I have 5 more weeks to watch you freak out." And I'm only entering season 2.
Purple Martins are addictive.
Later, Mike
Wow! That is a magical thing you have going with the Sandhills. I have a pretty big yardlist and I've had Sandhills flying over my house but having them on my own property would be very cool. I see Sandhills and Whooping Cranes every winter here in my area. Neat birds.
"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' till you do succeed." - Curly Howard

mjfog
Martin Colony History: 2018 will be my first try. 6 S&K B9s. 29 eggs - 8 fledged
2019 -

Postby mjfog » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:55 pm

clivia98, pmdavid and dkc - Hi to you all and thanks for responding to my "off-seasonal" post (when Martins are not on your colony or in your skies). The forum can get thin when our buddies are in Brazil, so let's interject other "bird-watching" experiences and keep the forum alive year-round.
Today was another slow bird day for me. Robins, doves, turkey and black vultures, hairy and downy woodpeckers at the feeder, but no swallows high in the sky. Did have an anhinga with an attitude sitting on one of my wood duck boxes giving that funny "Brrr-Brrrr" call. Otherwise, just jet planes pushing across a perfectly blue, 83 degree sky over Martin County to West Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. Eat you heart out, you Northerners.
How does one get lucky and see an early Scout? My vacancy sign is out. Maybe one of the eight I think fledged from my colony last year will fly over and see that I'm still in business! But I think it's more likely that when the big migration push begins I'll have a martin or two look down and see my motel and say, "Looks comfy. Let's give it a shot." Good luck to you posters in Louisiana and Texas for a great upcoming season. Keep in touch.
Geaux Tigers, Mike

-=DKC=-
Martin Colony History: ................
2019: 11 pairs
2018: 11 pairs - 43 fledged
2017: 4 pairs - 17 fledged

Postby -=DKC=- » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:26 am

How does one get lucky and see an early Scout? My vacancy sign is out. Maybe one of the eight I think fledged from my colony last year will fly over and see that I'm still in business! But I think it's more likely that when the big migration push begins I'll have a martin or two look down and see my motel and say, "Looks comfy. Let's give it a shot." Good luck to you posters in Louisiana and Texas for a great upcoming season. Keep in touch.
Geaux Tigers, Mike
2018 was my first year to have returning Martins. There was no doubt when they arrived. I was inside the house and all of the sudden I started hearing Martins making a ruckus. I ran outside and a male & female pair were strafing the closed-up gourds. I lowered the rack and they were landing on it before it was even raised.

I'm confident I had 7 of my original 8 birds return because of the particular gourds they chose and by their individual behaviors. I doubt I'll be so confident this year in identifying last years' birds because I had 23 instead of 8 to remember. But a couple of them had behavioral peculiarities that I can probably identify.
"If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' till you do succeed." - Curly Howard

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”