Louisiana!!!!!!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Roymg

Re: Louisiana!!!!!!

Postby Roymg » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:56 am

Still waiting in Covington for our first arrivals but usually don't see them untill the Craineflies come out. Last year mid Jan they were already here. Not this year so I'm thinking mid Feb.

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.

Postby PMDavid » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:39 pm

Hey there Roy,I’m lookin and lookin close everywhere I go. There have been three reports really close to me here in Alexandria. Two in bunkie,la and one in marksville,la just southeast of me by about 20-30 miles. Hope ur birds show up soon.

Roymg

Postby Roymg » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:43 pm

Hey Dave. Yeah I saw those bird reports. Those are more west of my location so must have been part of a group of a Texas flyway. It shouldn't be long now with the weather hitting 70 deg this weekend. Keep looking. I do.

Cheers,

Spiderman

Postby Spiderman » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:06 am

I saw Steve Kroenke reported his 1st Martin recently. Mine are usually 5 days behind his, so won't be long now!

He has a Mega Purple Martin Colony near Toledo Bend and Logansport, La.

They are moving North!

Hope everyone has a Great 2019 Season,
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering 2 trio grandpaws w/2natural gourds under each and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And one rehabbed 16 compartment Coates original with two natural gourds.Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.

Postby PMDavid » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:16 pm

Hey guys..... y’all gettin pumped up? I am!!! Yeah I’ve been watching those Texas posts come up,and a couple more here in la. Several new ones in this area. The one that says Alexandria is actually on the northwest side of town right about where I live. It’s called Boyce ,but it’s really just the edge of Alexandria with a Boyce zip code. Man that Mr. Arnold must live right close to me I need to find out who he is and where he is,make a new Martin friend! He’s got scout reports going back several years! There have also been quite a few other reports in the last three days here in the state........I’m rattling with anticipation!!! So now I’m REALLY lookin up everywhere I go,I think I’ve become obsessed with this Martin deal. That’s the word from the wife. Goood luck guys,stay in touch. Maybe next time you check the la.posts you’ll see PMDavid done went and got himself some martins!!!🤞

Conrad Baker

Postby Conrad Baker » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:03 pm

Today I had about 6 Martins on my first house and two or three at the second house. I will wait to put up the last house until house # 2 gets a little more activity.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:04 pm

Congrats Conrad! I know ur happy about ur birds showing up. These next days ahead will seem like an eternity. Awwww the waiting is killin me. I’m all set up this year and sure hopin to get some residents........

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:38 pm

BLUEBIRD........ Ok me and a certain pesky bluebird are fixin to be at odds! Little stinker has ducked into one of the gourds for two nights now and I go shake him out. He’s got a bluebird box about 80ft away and two more about 200ft away. All three raised broods last year and two of em raised two broods. I lowered the gourd rack as I don’t have martins yet. I will say though that closest bluebird house I had not yet emptied out from last year so I went this evening to do so and ther was a red wasp nest with four or five wasps. So...maybe that’s why he needed somewhere else to be. It’s now free of wasps and cleaned out so he better adjust his attitude and go back to his house or were gonna have issues with one another!

C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: Will always be a wanna be landlord, martins or not!
2016- Two lookers-No takers.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.
2019-
Home colony: 13 natural gourds, one house. 19 cavities.
PMCA member

Postby C.C.Martins » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:05 pm

Yessir! Winds will be blowing from the south soon, and our friends with it. Maryins will come all in tbeir own good time...doesnt help in the waiting tho. Hope weather north starts to break, always rough to hear how they do in the cold.
Eyes to the sky for sure.
Tom

2016-Wanna be LL. Two lookers. nada
2017-5 pairs. 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs. 85 Fledged.
2019-
Offering: 11 natural gourds, w/crescents and WDC openings. 6 modified compartment house

Conrad Baker

Postby Conrad Baker » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:30 am

I am noticing a lot of crane-flys which should provide a great food supply for the early arrivals.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:23 pm

OMG ! It’s drivin me nuts!!!!! Come to find out today there is a small site about 2 miles from here that I pass everyday,and have been looking everyday. So today I pass there and there is one lone Martin sitting on the lectric line with dropped wings. It’s at a feed store and the 18 hole Coates house is bustin with sparrow trash hangin out and they ar goin in and out of the four gourds with shre openings! So I slam on the brakes ,turn around and go find the owner of the place who is always there to get him to show him his “ first “ martin ,and ask him if I could help him out and clean out the house and gourds for him. He then proceeds to inform me that....”oh they’ve been here for a week and a half”! And we’re gonna do it... . Yeah right. There has been 3-4-5 pr of birds there the last few years but it must be ruff fighting a mob of chee chees. Here I sit tryin to get a colony started and this dude has a couple of birds wanting housing and has a sparrow slum!! So I guess also we could consider this another scout report for this area(Alex,la). I’m considering a late night visit,but also don’t want a late nite arrest☹️.

clivia98

Postby clivia98 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:18 pm

That is too bad. Doesn't he know how to manage his martin houses? I'm worried sick about sparrows taking over so I'm out there the minute I see one land any where near the martin houses. It's to the point that when those sparrows hear my door open they fly so fast they're gone by the time I get out.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:44 pm

Hey Clivia , yes he actually knows better but doesn’t wanna bother. I told him plug all the holes for the off season and open when he spots martins. He said he doesn’t have any plugs,and I said I would quickly empty out the house and gourds,loan him my plugs and just leave a few holes open for the moment. Then open some upon spotting more birds. He says he’s tired of cleaning them out every time the sparrows fill em up. I told him the answer was to clean it and plug it ......oh well.

phldave
Martin Colony History: Started trying in 2012 and still trying

Postby phldave » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:43 pm

PMDavid wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:44 pm
Hey Clivia , yes he actually knows better but doesn’t wanna bother. I told him plug all the holes for the off season and open when he spots martins. He said he doesn’t have any plugs,and I said I would quickly empty out the house and gourds,loan him my plugs and just leave a few holes open for the moment. Then open some upon spotting more birds. He says he’s tired of cleaning them out every time the sparrows fill em up. I told him the answer was to clean it and plug it ......oh well.
So what's the name of this place. Do you suppose they have a website? We'd all love to help you educate this guy. Maybe if we impress him with being members of the PMCA and we all know what we're talking about we could get him to listen.
2012 late start
2013 nothing yet, lots a lookers
2014 Bust again
2015 Bust again
2016 Bust again
2017 Bust again
2018 April 14 a group joined me, but moved on after a week

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:52 am

Thanks Dave ,but truth is... this is one of those folks that are better left alone. He lives about 40 minutes away from his buisiness and has martins there at his home,he said. He strikes me as one of those obstinate folks that just can’t be helped. I offered a full and complete service asking nothing from him but permission to do so and he basically refused the help. I did mention I was active in the PMCA and martins can use all the help they can get.I’m gonna let a sleeping dog lay. Maybe a bit further in the season I may try again.maybe towards the end I could offer a clean out again and offer my hole plugs again. Really as a buisiness owner I think he’s more concerned with the liability of letting someone be up a ladder ,than he is the birds. I work in hospital maintenance and have been in construction all my life...up a ladder is daily common place to me. Oh well I’ll try again later.

phldave
Martin Colony History: Started trying in 2012 and still trying

Postby phldave » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:45 pm

PMDavid wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:52 am
Thanks Dave ,but truth is... this is one of those folks that are better left alone. He lives about 40 minutes away from his buisiness and has martins there at his home,he said. He strikes me as one of those obstinate folks that just can’t be helped. I offered a full and complete service asking nothing from him but permission to do so and he basically refused the help. I did mention I was active in the PMCA and martins can use all the help they can get.I’m gonna let a sleeping dog lay. Maybe a bit further in the season I may try again.maybe towards the end I could offer a clean out again and offer my hole plugs again. Really as a buisiness owner I think he’s more concerned with the liability of letting someone be up a ladder ,than he is the birds. I work in hospital maintenance and have been in construction all my life...up a ladder is daily common place to me. Oh well I’ll try again later.
Exasperating aint it? We all feel your pain. This education curve can be a real challenge. Maybe some kind of educational flyer from the PMCA stuck in the mailbox? Have a fabulous 2019!
2012 late start
2013 nothing yet, lots a lookers
2014 Bust again
2015 Bust again
2016 Bust again
2017 Bust again
2018 April 14 a group joined me, but moved on after a week

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”