I don’t want to get too ANTSY but....

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at Satilite Site.

I don’t want to get too ANTSY but....

Postby Dave Reynolds » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:29 pm

Hello Everyone... I don’t want to get too ANTSY ,,, but the Martins in Brazil are starting to get a little Antsy.. I’m sure for their trip North.. Around another 35 days or so and the reports will start to come in.. Just wondering how excited they are getting about now... :wink:

Dave
2018 Home Site
Lots of Visitors

2018 Satilite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
PMCA Member

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering a trio grandpaw w/4 natural gourds and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And two rehabbed 16 compartment Coates originals. Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.

Re: I don’t want to get too ANTSY but....

Postby PMDavid » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:38 pm

Hey Dave it’s gettin sorta close to Martin time . I’ve made some upgrade from last year.im putting up those two 16 hole Coates originals that I got for free and a trio grandpaw converted to pole mount on a base,and of course puttin back up my 16 gourd,gourd rack. The birds usually start to show around here middle to end of January. I’ll have everything installed fully in the next two weeks ,I’ll shoot all a pic then. Maybe this year I’ll get some birds and start my colony,I was a little late last year. I plan to prenest with pine straw,but has anyone heard of using cypress leaves?

Dave Reynolds

Postby Dave Reynolds » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:04 pm

PMDave --- Sure sounds like you are ready.. I don't know about the Cypress leaves.. Up here in Southeastern Ohio, we use a lot of pine straw, because it lasts pretty well and does not soak up a lot of water... Course the martins cover the straw up with a few leaves and sticks. But I think they like it as a good starter nest.. Good Luck and I will be waiting for you Martin Scout Report... :wink:

Dave
2018 Home Site
Lots of Visitors

PMCA Member

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: Second year trying to attract martins. This year I am getting rid of the wooden house and showing something they are used to seeing.
Offering a trio grandpaw w/4 natural gourds and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. And two rehabbed 16 compartment Coates originals. Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch.

Postby PMDavid » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:39 am

Hey Dave ,I’m going to pick up my house bases today,I had them made from plate aluminum welded to aluminum couplings that will screw onto the tops of my poles. I think I’m gonna prenest with pine straw and add some cypress in some “sample” cavities just for giggles. The cypress dries well and is soft and fluffy,gonna top off the straw with it and see what goes. I’m starting to get excited on my prospects of gettin a colony goin this year! I had lots of lookers and visitors last season and one male that spent the night for a month,and his days with all the neighbors birds. I was two weeks or so late getting housing up so they had all settled in at the neighbors already. Maybe this time with everything ready things will play out differently,hope so,we’ll see.

PMDavid

Postby PMDavid » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:00 pm

Hey Dave,I have a question about your pine straw. I’ve been chatting with Dave duit and he has all white pine,pine straw. From the eastern white pine. Well,we don’t have that type of pine here in Louisiana. Our pines are a different variety and have longer and stiffer needles. What type of pine straw do you have there? Ours are short leaf pine,long leaf pine,loblolly pine,and slash pine. The needles on these varieties are a bit stiffer and and longer.

Dave Reynolds

Postby Dave Reynolds » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:06 pm

PMDavid wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:00 pm
Hey Dave,I have a question about your pine straw. I’ve been chatting with Dave duit and he has all white pine,pine straw. From the eastern white pine. Well,we don’t have that type of pine here in Louisiana. Our pines are a different variety and have longer and stiffer needles. What type of pine straw do you have there? Ours are short leaf pine,long leaf pine,loblolly pine,and slash pine. The needles on these varieties are a bit stiffer and and longer.

PMDavid --- We have mostly white pine in our area here in southeastern, Ohio.. Seems to be a good fit for the Martins in our area.. Some of the needles seem to me to be a bit long, but I cut them with scissors when I put them in the houses or gourds, to shorten them a bit..

Dave
2018 Home Site
Lots of Visitors

PMCA Member

Bkhollan

Postby Bkhollan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:06 am

I'm in southern Indiana so I still got a while, but it's my first year so I'm excited for them to start coming north.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”