S&K “Bo” Gourds

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Robert Anderson
Martin Colony History: Long time Bluebird landlord and aspiring Purple Martin Landlord.
8 PMCA Gourds
12 S&K Bo 9 gourds (double stacked)
1 S&K Great 8 converted to 4 unit (from 8)
2 Trio Mussleman houses converted to 6 units (from 12)

S&K “Bo” Gourds

Postby Robert Anderson » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:41 pm

Does anyone have the Bo Nine gourd in their colonies? Specially using the Bo Stacker? It allows you to mount one gourd on top of another to double the number of gourds on a single gourd rack. I just finished installing them and was curious if anyone else used them and what kind of success rate was achieved or was any preference for top or bottom gourd displayed by the martins?

Dale D
Martin Colony History: PM Landlord since 2004

Re: S&K “Bo” Gourds

Postby Dale D » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:38 pm

Does anyone have the Bo Nine gourd in their colonies? Specially using the Bo Stacker? It allows you to mount one gourd on top of another to double the number of gourds on a single gourd rack. I just finished installing them and was curious if anyone else used them and what kind of success rate was achieved or was any preference for top or bottom gourd displayed by the martins?
Robert, I have 4 Bo 9's that are used regularly but to answer your question I have a friend in Alabama that used the Bo 9 Stackers this past season and had good success with them.
Orlando, FL Landlord since 2004
Offer 34 Cavities Total

Robert Anderson
Martin Colony History: Long time Bluebird landlord and aspiring Purple Martin Landlord.
8 PMCA Gourds
12 S&K Bo 9 gourds (double stacked)
1 S&K Great 8 converted to 4 unit (from 8)
2 Trio Mussleman houses converted to 6 units (from 12)

Postby Robert Anderson » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:01 pm

Robert, I have 4 Bo 9's that are used regularly but to answer your question I have a friend in Alabama that used the Bo 9 Stackers this past season and had good success with them.
Many thanks! I have high hopes for next May. I have diversified my housing options by also offering Excluder Gourds, S&K great 8 house (converted down to 4 units), and a Trio grandma house, converted from 12 to 6 units.

Dale D
Martin Colony History: PM Landlord since 2004

Postby Dale D » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:18 pm

That sounds great Robert! Hope you have a successful 2019 season.
Orlando, FL Landlord since 2004
Offer 34 Cavities Total

Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2018, 54 pair with 202 fledged youngsters. 73 total compartments available, 48 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Postby Dave Duit » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:15 am

Hi Robert,
The grandpa style conversion was a great move. I also have a variety of housing and the martins seem to appreciate this spice of life in choosing their own preference for a home. I wish you the best my friend.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.

Chris B

Postby Chris B » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:21 am

I use S&K "Big Bo V2" gourds when I don't have enough natural ones. They are popular gourds with the PMs. There are different openings available.

IMO the porch rivets need renewing each season upon cleanout.
2014 8 gourds, 3 pairs nested. Ended w/ 24 total
2015 24 gourds, 22 nests. Lotsa birds!
2016 24 gourds and good activity.
2017 32 SREH gourds. Great activity.
2018 40 SREH gourds. Good finish despite big storm damage. No more dangling gourds.
2019 56+ SREH gourds, all on 3/8 rods.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”