S&K “Bo” Gourds

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Robert Anderson
Martin Colony History: Long time Bluebird landlord and aspiring Purple Martin Landlord.
2019 will have 28 units ready for immediate move in!

S&K “Bo” Gourds

Postby Robert Anderson » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:41 pm

Does anyone have the Bo Nine gourd in their colonies? Specially using the Bo Stacker? It allows you to mount one gourd on top of another to double the number of gourds on a single gourd rack. I just finished installing them and was curious if anyone else used them and what kind of success rate was achieved or was any preference for top or bottom gourd displayed by the martins?

Dale D
Martin Colony History: PM Landlord since 2004

Re: S&K “Bo” Gourds

Postby Dale D » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:38 pm

Robert Anderson wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:41 pm
Does anyone have the Bo Nine gourd in their colonies? Specially using the Bo Stacker? It allows you to mount one gourd on top of another to double the number of gourds on a single gourd rack. I just finished installing them and was curious if anyone else used them and what kind of success rate was achieved or was any preference for top or bottom gourd displayed by the martins?
Robert, I have 4 Bo 9's that are used regularly but to answer your question I have a friend in Alabama that used the Bo 9 Stackers this past season and had good success with them.
Orlando, FL Landlord since 2004
Offer 30 Cavities Total
Hosted 21 pairs in 2017

Robert Anderson
Martin Colony History: Long time Bluebird landlord and aspiring Purple Martin Landlord.
2019 will have 28 units ready for immediate move in!

Postby Robert Anderson » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:01 pm

Dale D wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:38 pm
Robert Anderson wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:41 pm
Robert, I have 4 Bo 9's that are used regularly but to answer your question I have a friend in Alabama that used the Bo 9 Stackers this past season and had good success with them.
Many thanks! I have high hopes for next May. I have diversified my housing options by also offering Excluder Gourds, S&K great 8 house (converted down to 4 units), and a Trio grandma house, converted from 12 to 6 units.

Dale D
Martin Colony History: PM Landlord since 2004

Postby Dale D » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:18 pm

That sounds great Robert! Hope you have a successful 2019 season.
Orlando, FL Landlord since 2004
Offer 30 Cavities Total
Hosted 21 pairs in 2017

Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2017, 54 pair with 202 fledged youngsters. 73 total compartments available, 48 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Postby Dave Duit » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:15 am

Hi Robert,
The grandpa style conversion was a great move. I also have a variety of housing and the martins seem to appreciate this spice of life in choosing their own preference for a home. I wish you the best my friend.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”