Hummingbird feeding into Fall info.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2017, 54 pair with 202 fledged youngsters. 73 total compartments available, 48 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hummingbird feeding into Fall info.

Postby Dave Duit » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:34 pm

When should I take down my feeder in the fall?
All good things, as they say, must come to an end. Unless you live in California, that usually includes hummingbirds, at least until next spring. Depending on where in North America you live, the southward migration typically occurs between July and November. Here in St. Louis, the last birds are seen around October 15, unless an earlier hard frost drives them south ahead of schedule.

Hummingbirds migrate in response to hormonal changes, which are triggered by decreasing length of daylight; nothing you can do will make them stay too long, so it's not necessary to stop feeding them to force them to go south. On the contrary: they will need to fatten up to nearly double normal body weight to survive the journey, and thus appreciate your feeder more than ever up until literally the last minute before they depart.

I recommend continuing to maintain at least one feeder for a week or two after seeing your last hummer of the season. Remember that unless you are spending hours watching for hummers, they may be visiting while you are inside watching TV. Just because you think they should be moving on doesn't mean they have left. Sometimes an individual bird can't migrate on schedule, due to illness or injury: these late migrants in particular will appreciate having a reliable source of food at a time when few natural flowers are still in bloom. There's no need to risk your feeder freezing solid, though, so you needn't get carried away with the concept. (See later post in this thread about hummers not dead in cold weather only in stuper state, hold in hand to warm them up.)
Last edited by Dave Duit on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.

BillieJR

Re: Hummingbird feeding into Fall info.

Postby BillieJR » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:28 pm

Thanks for this info, Dave. I was just asking yesterday about this to my facebook friends and had many different opinions. Some said to keep them out for awhile yet, some said take them down so you don't encourage them to stay. Now I know
Billie from southern Wisonsin

Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at Satilite Site.

Postby Dave Reynolds » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:14 am

Dave —- Thanks for the information on the Hummers... My Hummers useally leave around the middle of September. But this year was different.. we had three stop by yesterday, the 1st of Oct.. So we also leave our feeders up a few weeks after we think they have gone.. Their biological clocks tell them to go South, not the food supply ...

Dave
2018 Home Site
Lots of Visitors

2018 Satilite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
PMCA Member

Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2017, 54 pair with 202 fledged youngsters. 73 total compartments available, 48 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Postby Dave Duit » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:08 am

Billie and Dave,
You are very welcome. I love all birds, but martins and hummers are my favs. I live in central Iowa and I had three at my feeder yesterday Oct.1st. Glad I could shine light on the hummers and feeding.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.

Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university.

Postby Ed Svetich-WI » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:35 pm

Just got a surprise when a hummingbird was feeding at our feeder. Just saw this post. I guess I will leave it up a bit longer, although I am going to make a stronger sugar concentration than the 4 to 1 mix. Also just saw the first juncos this morning. It is supposed to be near 80° tomorrow. I agree that food will not keep hummingbirds from migrating. The only reason that the feeder was still hanging is that we had hummers here when we went on vacation on September 17th and I wanted to make sure that any still here while we were gone would have a food source. We just returned yesterday.

Ed

Dave Duit

Postby Dave Duit » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:43 am

An additional side note about hummers in stuper. Hummers will conserve energy overnight when temps drop by going into a short term type of hibernation. They can sometimes be found on the ground and look as if they are dead; THEY ARE MORE THAN LIKELY NOT DEAD. Simply pick them up, hold them in your hands lightly and let your own body temp radiant heat into their body. The hummer will gain enough heat to take off from your hand. Do not bury or discard the hummer, they are probably only in stuper (temporary hibernation) state.

Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at Satilite Site.

Postby Dave Reynolds » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:08 pm

Dave ——. Thanks for the incite... I’m still in a little shock that I still have two Hummers hanging around this late in October.. Guess I’ll keep the feeder full... And wait until they leave before taking the feeders down.

Dave
2018 Home Site
Lots of Visitors

2018 Satilite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
PMCA Member

Dave Duit

Postby Dave Duit » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:15 am

Thanks Dave. Glad I could help with the info. Most people assume that once it gets cold the hummers leave. I think people are amazed when they see them into the fall season.

TheSmiths
Martin Colony History: Trying to attract PMs since 2004; began a more ernest attempt in 2014. Modified Trio M12K at 15' w/3 gourds beneath; multi-rack w/8 gourds mounted at 20'.

2018 — 1 ASY pair & 1 SY pair in the Trio; 1 SY pair in a supergourd on the multi-rack. :D

Postby TheSmiths » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:28 pm

They're still moving through western KY (high today 57°f, low 41°f). RubyThroat.org is a good source of info for those of us in the east.
Last edited by TheSmiths on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I heart birds
Martin Colony History: Will always be a wanna be landlord, martins or not!
2016- Two lookers-No takers.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged.
2018-18 pair. 85 fledged.

Oso Bay Preserve Satellite Location (Trio Mini)
2018-ASY visitor pair.

Firm believer in SREH, enlarged compartments, bug control, predator guards, heat insulation and venting.

PMCA member

Postby I heart birds » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:27 pm

I found a ruby throat hanging onto one of the feeder perches in the morning in July...he was upside down with his beak pointing straight up....another hummingbird was hovering over it looking him over I guess. I walked over slowly and stood right over him, he blinked, straightened up and sat for a second before taking off.

we are down to one feeder now, still have visitors now and again but only in the early morning and later in the evening so unless you are watching close it would be easy to think they left, poor guys count on us so that would be bad. I change the water every three days, more frequently in hot weather. Im hoping for some winter birds this year! They are very dedicated birds, will return almost to the day and fuss if their feeder isn't as full as it should be.
Thanks Dave.
Tom

2016-Wanna be LL. Two lookers. nada
2017-5 pairs. 15 Fledged
2018-18 pairs. 85 Fledged.

Dave Duit

Postby Dave Duit » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:20 pm

Much like our loved purple martins in the early arrival in Iowa spring migration with cold rainy days, the hummers need that sugar water late in the season in their migration south. Thanks for all the responses. Keep up the great work everyone.

Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Postby Louise Chambers » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:09 pm

In south Texas, and all along the Gulf Coast, hummers can visit all winter. We have buff-bellied hummers, which do not migrate, and can get rufous, anna's, and other western hummers here in the winter months - it's fun seeing who might turn up! Have not seen one in stupor, or torpid state, but had an anna's here last winter when a freeze was coming, so we made up a richer formula for it, and wrapped feeders in pipe insulation, since we would not be there every day to replace feeders. Hope the little guy made it - so beautiful but quite cranky, swore up a blue streak!

PS Dave, first post in this thread says "here in St Louis" but aren't you in Nevada, Iowa?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 1.05.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 1.05.28 PM.png (337.33 KiB) Viewed 304 times

Dave Duit

Postby Dave Duit » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:10 am

Hi Louise,
I used the content from another web source to post and it mentioned St. Louis. The info was so good, I decided to leave it as is. Yes, you are right; I'm from a little town named Nevada just like the state but located in Iowa. Thanks for the beautiful pic of the hummer. I have warmed up a few over the years by holding them lightly in my hand with my own body heat. It is funny to see them come out of it and fly from my hand. We only get Ruby Throated hummers in Iowa. I would love to see an Anna or Rufos in person.

Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Postby Louise Chambers » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:12 pm

You could see other species visit in winter months, not reliably but might. We helped a hummingbird bander in Texas do wintertime banding - he had many species, and some individuals as old as 13 years! Once a bird was all processed and ready to release, they would get a quick feeding, by having their bill stuck briefly into feeder - after they'd swallowed a few times, they were held in hand till they flew away. It was an awesome experience!

Dave Duit

Postby Dave Duit » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:38 pm

Imagine how exciting it would be if we could train our adult martins to eat crickets and super worms right out of our hand during cold spells. Wishful thinking for an arial insectivore. It takes time to train them to go to a raised platform or cricket flip. I guess I'm a dreamer. lol.

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”