117 days of martins and season ends 8/13 at 123 days.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university.

117 days of martins and season ends 8/13 at 123 days.

Postby Ed Svetich-WI » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:05 am

This year, an ASY male arrived April 12th. The last nestlings fledged July 24th. 7 came in to roost in the gourds last night. There were 30-35 here three days ago roosting for the night. Slowly winding down for this season. Last year with one ASY pair completing a successful second nest, the season stretched out until September 11th when the last martin was seen leaving a gourd. I had not realized that 2017 was a 161 day martin season until I looked at my records. That may be hard to beat in the future. Southern colonies must have a much longer martin presence.

I leave one rack up for a week past the last martin observation for any migrants from up North.

Produce as many martins as possible.

Ed
Last edited by Ed Svetich-WI on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lragan

Re: 117 days of martins and counting.

Postby lragan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:24 am

Thanks, Ed. I was wondering what was up this year. Everything happened a bit later that previous years, when the gourds went empty around July 4th or so. Last year was a disaster, probably caused by the flimsy gourds I put up.

I only have six gourds, and they were all occupied until late July. I still have a few showing up every few days, so I have not touched the gourds.

So I wonder, should I leave the gourds in place, remove some, clean any? Advice from more experienced landlords is solicited.

Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university.

Postby Ed Svetich-WI » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:57 am

Since every migrating bird will be heading south, at least a few may appreciate a stop over at your location. If you had issues with poor gourds, can we assume that you have replaced them with something more substantial? There are several that you can choose from.

You still have plenty of time to clean your gourds. No rush. That is the one part that I do not look forward to each year.

Good luck in the future.

Ed

flyin-lowe

Postby flyin-lowe » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:40 pm

Today was the first day for me since this spring that I have not seen a martin at my house. I need to go back and see the date but it has been a little longer season then normal for me.
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.

Ed Svetich-WI

Re: 117 days of martins and season ends 8/13 at 123 days.

Postby Ed Svetich-WI » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:38 pm

7 still returning as of three days ago. Several daily fly bys of mostly males singing, which I found strange considering the late date. One came in the last two evenings to roost in the gourds. None today so I will call an end to the season. 12 gourds still up for at least a few more days until It cools off a bit so I can finish up the cleaning and storage.

All and all a good year. 107 fledged safely from 109 eggs that hatched. Almost 100%. 3 nest replacements on each of 22 nests. That is enough for me.

Plan ahead for 2019.

Ed

BillieJR

Postby BillieJR » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Looks like you've had a great year again! Almost 100% is beyond awesome!
Billie from southern Wisonsin

randyM
Martin Colony History: Had 2 wooden and 1 plastic house up since 2004. Had one ASY pair nest in 2006 - male disappeared during bad storm, but female finished fledging 4 young on her own. Had SY pair nest in 2009, but did not hatch any eggs. Added plastic gourds to housing in June of 2015, had SY male stay for 3 weeks but didn't attract a female that would stay. Had lots of late visitors during late fall migration while playing martin chatter CD. Added more decoys and multiple styles of plastic gourds to my spread in 2016...it worked - 1 pair (ASYM + SYF) fledged both young that hatched!! S & S control done studiously every year.

2017 - 4 nesting pairs, 16/17 eggs hatched and all 16 young banded and fledged. 1 additional SY pair that built nest but laid no eggs. Also had 4 extra SY males stay during the nesting season.

2018 - 10 nesting pairs (7 ASYM, 3 SYM & 3 ASYF, 7 SYF), 52 eggs, 46 hatched, 45 fledged, 29 banded.

Postby randyM » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:30 am

Congratulations on another great season, Ed! I had martins at my 3-year-old, 10 pair colony for 110 consecutive days this year. I had not seen a martin return to roost at my colony for the past 5 days, so I decided to begin playing my daytime chatter CD this afternoon. I had 5 martins swoop by my colony at sunset and passed over the speakers and decoys about 5 times. Two of the birds landed for about 30 seconds and then joined the others on their southward journey. Hopefully a few of these birds survive the migration and winter and remember my site on their return trip north and decide to stay (as they all appeared to be young-of-the-year birds). I'll continue to play the chatter CD until mid-Sept., as that is the latest I've seen martins in this part of the country. I usually have about two or three dozen martins stop by my colony during the fall migration through this area from mid-Aug through mid-Sept. I'm sure playing the CD each day makes a big difference in the numbers that stop by for a visit. Good luck to all next year.

Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at Satilite Site.

Postby Dave Reynolds » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:07 pm

randyM... That’s a great idea.. playing the down song to catch a few migrating Martins as they go by,, And making your season a little longer.. This was my first year with Martins, so I checked to see how long my Martins were here, so it turns out to be around 110 days.. A friend got his first Martin on March 21 where I got my first one on April 16.. We live about 10 miles apart.. He had Martins 132 days.. So I’m looking for a longer season next year

Dave
2018 Home Site
Lots of Visitors

2018 Satilite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
PMCA Member

Yves

Postby Yves » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:27 pm

Hi,
I'm around the Ottawa Ontario region and my colony have made a very early departure this year, they usely leave at around mid August, but this year beat them all, on July 24TH I had no more Martins around, had them for 92 days total, first time I ever see an early departure like this one, same thing with my second colony 6 miles from here.

I guess the hot and humid weather we have been getting this summer is in for something ??

Cheers

Ed Svetich-WI

Postby Ed Svetich-WI » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:29 pm

Yves,

Maybe they know an early winter is coming. I always thought that a Canadian martin season would be shorter because of the later arrival of your martins due to the distance that they need to travel as well as the cooler temperatures that arrive up North sooner. Around here, martins usually wait about a month after arrival before getting down to nest building. Are yours quicker to build nests?

Tell us about your colony.

Thanks for participating in the Forum.

Ed

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”