Question About Another Bird

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Roymg

Question About Another Bird

Postby Roymg » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:06 pm

Down here in South Louisiana there is another smaller bird that looks like a Martin but I think it's a type
of Swallow. It has the same color pattern as a Martin. I was wondering if these birds also migrate to
South America with the Martins.

Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2017, 54 pair with 202 fledged youngsters. 73 total compartments available, 48 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified trio metal house units, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Re: Question About Another Bird

Postby Dave Duit » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:28 pm

Difficult to determine the exact swallow species, but here is a small overview for you. Tree swallows will migrate to Central America, whereas six other swallow species would take you through much of South America. Cliff Swallows, you would have to go as far south as Argentina. This would cover many of the more common swallows migration for wintering grounds. There are many other swallows and too much to cover in this response, but I hope this helped.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.

Roymg

Postby Roymg » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:57 pm

Dave,

Thanks for the reply...you answered my question along with some good info. I would think these are Tree
Swallows that we have here. Don't see them a whole lot but since my Martin group left I have noticed these
Swallows late in the afternoon, going to roost and at first I thought they were Martins. These birds, even though
they look like a Martin, are slightly smaller and a little quicker in flight.

Cheers,

Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at Satilite Site.

Postby Dave Reynolds » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:44 pm

Generally you can tell the Tree Swallows from the Martins because they don’t have a loud chip.. Where the Martins can be heard a long distant..

Dave
2018 Home Site
Lots of Visitors

2018 Satilite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
PMCA Member

John & Linda - KY

Postby John & Linda - KY » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:01 pm

Also, the tree swallow's breast is a very distinctive white. -- John

Roymg

Postby Roymg » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:49 pm

Too late for light to see colors but I'm beginning to think they are Martins. They fly by every afternoon about dusk
one at a time and its difficult to get a good picture. If Martins, they must be young ones as they make no sounds.
It's hard to get a good picture. They fly a straight line, I suppose on their way to some roost. My group has long left
and these birds I only see at dusk. I did get this shot.
Attachments
Bird 3.JPG
Bird 3.JPG (15.98 KiB) Viewed 310 times

PMDavid
Martin Colony History: First year trying to attract martins
Offering 8 compartment homemade wooden house w/4 natural gourds and C.Abare gourd rack w/16 natural gourds. Lots of lookers,a few overnighters and daily activity cruising and looking. All gourds have a rain canopy and wire perch. Will be adding a trio pioneer in 2019

Postby PMDavid » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:16 pm

So Roy,isn’t there a major roost at the ponchitrain bridge? How far from there are you ? It is a hard to see picture but it does in fact look a bit like a Martin. Often when swallows are flying you can pick out their forked looking tail,and I really don’t see that. Keep watching. At this point in the game the young ones are pretty close to full adult size ,maybe just not as filled out looking as a full sized adult. Keep looking till you really get some good sightings. It’s possible.

Roymg

Postby Roymg » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:29 pm

David there is, at least last year, was a roost underneath the bridge on the South end of the lake. This year I've not heard the same. Not sure where they might be but they have in the past years always roosted under the causeway. Once went to watch them on the North end and was quite a site. The parish or city had set up fence screens on the sides of the outside road lanes to prevent collisions and also provided some bleachers for us to sit on. These birds would fly loops from underneath the bridge on then over the top and back underneath again. Was why the screens were needed.

Yes I'm beginning to believe these are Martins. They just seem to be hanging around past their time of usual departure.
At this time I didn't think I'd still be seeing them except maybe for some coming from further North.

Cheers,

Correction: Got my North South's screwed up. First line should be "North end of lake." Third line should be "South end and was".
Never have gotten use of terms North of Lake and South of Lake they use here since I moved from Baton Rouge.
Last edited by Roymg on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

flyin-lowe

Postby flyin-lowe » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:59 pm

Easiest way to ID martins is by the vocalization. Once you hear them you realize nothing else floating around sounds like them. I word it that way because my mocking birds have made PM sounds. Go to YouTube and watch any videos of a Martin colony. You will hear their sound really quickly.
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional SY's stayed all summer but never paired/nested.
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.

Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at Satilite Site.

Postby Dave Reynolds » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:52 pm

flyin-lowe wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:59 pm
Easiest way to ID martins is by the vocalization. Once you hear them you realize nothing else floating around sounds like them. I word it that way because my mocking birds have made PM sounds. Go to YouTube and watch any videos of a Martin colony. You will hear their sound really quickly.

Good answer flyin-Lowe... Once you hear the Martins singing and chirping, You will never forget that sound, and you will be able to identify Martins just by sound.. no need to even look up in the sky.. So if you have had Martins before, there won’t be any question rather it is a Martin or not..

Dave
2018 Home Site
Lots of Visitors

2018 Satilite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
PMCA Member

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”